Quantcast

Whats up with this?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
ive seen this in several crappy movies, and i dont know what the **** the deal is with it. Why do girls cut themselves with razor blades and ****? Is this somthing holywood made up or what? all i can say is girls and weird. :confused:

skeletor

Chimp
Mar 22, 2004
STORE.
idk, a bunch of girls at my school think they have real problems and cut themselves and ****. its sad cuz theyre problems arent real problems, they are high school drama, not worth ur f*Cking life.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
yeah, but why? id be interested in hiring them to huck off of 40 ft drops if their interested in self inflicting pain. ill google it on some physcoanaylsis page.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
mack said:
yeah, but why? id be interested in hiring them to huck off of 40 ft drops if their interested in self inflicting pain. ill google it on some physcoanaylsis page.
Dude, if you can answer the "why" of that, please go into psychiatry because you can probably help a lot of people.

There is no real "why" - and it's true, many people (guys and girls) do it.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
douglas said:
why:

need of attention & low self esteem & immaturity

those are all fantastically cliche and shortsighted ideas of why someone would take out a blade and cut themsleves open.

there are about a million and one reasons that people cut themselves. I used to do it. I'm still not exactly sure why. i was miserable, and it felt good. i didnt want any attention though and spent most of my jr. highschool career in pants and long sleeves so no one would notice.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i cut myself all the time with utility knives, and smash my fingers with my hammer, and burn myself with hot tar, and all kinds of crap. Get a job in construction you'll get your fix and then some. :thumb:

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Had someone once tell me that some drugs (Extasy, club drugs) that make you super aware, and have heightened sensations actually sort of "dull" nerve endings over time. So what happens is some people start feeling numb all over, and cut themselves to feel something. One possible reason.

Methinks it's easier to go out for a ride. May still draw blood, though.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
binary visions said:
I think that pretty much sums it up.

so how many mature, confident & (with a mindset of not needing/wanting or could care less about getting more attention) people do you know that cut themselves??

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I don't think maturity has much to do with it. I spent the better portion of my high school years pretty well depressed (we'll leave it at that for now). Whether it's cutting, burning, suicide, whatever - it has more to do with profound unhappiness than a lack of self confidence, though often times the two go hand in hand. Generally confident people (who can't relate to people who are depressed) blame these types of actions on a lack of self confidence. You can be confident and unhappy - think about how you would feel if you got fired, had you bike(s) stolen, broke up wiht a significant other, had a family member die, etc. For lack of a better explanation, the only difference between you being depressed over those things and someone else being depressed that they can't fit into a size 4 is that it's generally considered OK to be depressed over all those other things.

I've never been the most confident person in the world, but I've never really had problems with confidence. In HS, I never fit in with the "in" crowd, and that really bothered me, even though I though I was a pretty decent human being and a rather good person in general. The fact that I wasn't part of the in crowd (which was what I wanted most at the time) had a significant effect on my overall happiness, and I did some things to myself that I'm not exactly proud of. Fortunately, I quit giving a f*** what others think of me before I did any permanent damage to myself.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
douglas said:
(with a mindset of not needing/wanting or could care less about getting more attention)
That's it right there... it's all about a person's mindset - but it doesn't always have to do with attention.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
I don't think maturity has much to do with it. I spent the better portion of my high school years pretty well depressed (we'll leave it at that for now). Whether it's cutting, burning, suicide, whatever - it has more to do with profound unhappiness than a lack of self confidence, though often times the two go hand in hand. Generally confident people (who can't relate to people who are depressed) blame these types of actions on a lack of self confidence. You can be confident and unhappy - think about how you would feel if you got fired, had you bike(s) stolen, broke up wiht a significant other, had a family member die, etc. For lack of a better explanation, the only difference between you being depressed over those things and someone else being depressed that they can't fit into a size 4 is that it's generally considered OK to be depressed over all those other things.

I've never been the most confident person in the world, but I've never really had problems with confidence. In HS, I never fit in with the "in" crowd, and that really bothered me, even though I though I was a pretty decent human being and a rather good person in general. The fact that I wasn't part of the in crowd (which was what I wanted most at the time) had a significant effect on my overall happiness, and I did some things to myself that I'm not exactly proud of. Fortunately, I quit giving a f*** what others think of me before I did any permanent damage to myself.
I don't think any of us fit in with the "in" crowd. Which is why MOST of us on RM are pretty good and happy people still.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
jacksonpt said:

I have to agree with what you said...........I know what it is like to be depressed, and how difficult it is to climb out of that bottomless hole that you feel you are living in.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
douglas said:
so how many mature, confident & (with a mindset of not needing/wanting or could care less about getting more attention) people do you know that cut themselves??
Your argument is not logical. You can't turn statements around like that.

You can't say that just because mature, confident people who don't need attention don't cut themselves, means that people who cut themselves are immature, unconfident, and need attention.

People who don't drive cars, don't get into car accidents. But that doesn't mean that driving cars is the cause of car accidents.

Jul 26, 2004
Seattle, WA
Nate at RIT said:
Had someone once tell me that some drugs (Extasy, club drugs) that make you super aware, and have heightened sensations actually sort of "dull" nerve endings over time. So what happens is some people start feeling numb all over, and cut themselves to feel something. One possible reason.
thats the biggest load of crap i've ever heard on here.

Ecstasy does not 'dull' nerve endings.
in fact, NO drug will 'dull' nerve endings over time, and Certainly not any recreationably used drug.

the only thing you might be able to infer from ecstasy, is that if over used, it sometimes will cause depression. and if someone has a tendancy to cut while depressed, and they just came down from a weekend rave bender, then yea.. maybe. but it will not be caused by ecstasy, or any other club drug

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
penguinofdoom said:
and if someone has a tendancy to cut while depressed, and they just came down from a weekend rave bender, then yea.. maybe.
Actually, from what I understand, ecsasy can cause a permanent semi-depressed state if used over and over because it over-stimulates the centers of your brain that make you happy/feel good (seretonin receptors, I believe?) and eventually starts destroying them.

That's a little off-topic, though :D

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
binary visions said:
Your argument is not logical. You can't turn statements around like that.

You can't say that just because mature, confident people who don't need attention don't cut themselves, means that people who cut themselves are immature, unconfident, and need attention.

People who don't drive cars, don't get into car accidents. But that doesn't mean that driving cars is the cause of car accidents.

so if nobody drove a car again, there would still be car accidents?

and by the way I can say anything I want to !!!

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Skookum said:
i cut myself all the time with utility knives, and smash my fingers with my hammer, and burn myself with hot tar, and all kinds of crap. Get a job in construction you'll get your fix and then some. :thumb:
Ah, I see, and tell me - how does that make you feel? :)

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
penguinofdoom said:
thats the biggest load of crap i've ever heard on here.

Ecstasy does not 'dull' nerve endings.
in fact, NO drug will 'dull' nerve endings over time, and Certainly not any recreationably used drug.

the only thing you might be able to infer from ecstasy, is that if over used, it sometimes will cause depression. and if someone has a tendancy to cut while depressed, and they just came down from a weekend rave bender, then yea.. maybe. but it will not be caused by ecstasy, or any other club drug
Ah FFS - I thought you were just here to whine at DW the other day, oh well, I guess I could really have found more productive things to do at work anyway...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
douglas said:
so if nobody drove a car again, there would still be car accidents?

and by the way I can say anything I want to !!!
No, there wouldn't. But by that argument, what we'd need to do is get rid of all sharp objects.

You're not curing the problem, you're getting rid of the instrument. If you got rid of cars, inattentive people would ride bikes and crash just the same. If you got rid of sharp objects, these people who cut themselves would find another way to vent whatever emotion it is that makes them do it.

And you're welcome to say whatever you want, but that doesn't mean it's valid ;) :p

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
binary visions said:
You're not curing the problem, you're getting rid of the instrument. If you got rid of cars, inattentive people would ride bikes and crash just the same. ;) :p
Just thought your argument could be helped w/ a visual aid...

Attachments

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
s1ngletrack said:
Just thought your argument could be helped w/ a visual aid...
Hahahahah.

Trip to Germany... $2500
Cab ride to the city... $18
Camera for the trip... $50
Film for the camera... $3
Accidentally capturing the moment where a biker gets own3d by a lamp post... Priceless.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Go see 'Secretary.' I think the pheomenon has something to do with James Spader...

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
binary visions said:
No, there wouldn't. But by that argument, what we'd need to do is get rid of all sharp objects.

You're not curing the problem, you're getting rid of the instrument. If you got rid of cars, inattentive people would ride bikes and crash just the same. If you got rid of sharp objects, these people who cut themselves would find another way to vent whatever emotion it is that makes them do it.
:p

well, if I was a doctor I'd just write a script for prozac :rolleyes:

binary visions said:
And you're welcome to say whatever you want, but that doesn't mean it's valid ;)
:p
RBA! (right back atcha) :D

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
If you all are interested in this type of activity, you need to listen to more Type O Negative and the like. Peter Steele is famous for his self-inflicted razor etchings.

Quite a different phenomenon than attention-craving pleas for help, and more like tattooing, piercing, branding, etc. I did a real cool one of a crucifix on my left bicep at 14, but it faded in time so I eventually covered it up with a tattoo. I never spoke of it or showed it to anybody and my reasons for doing so had nothing to do with self-loathing, insecurity, sex or profound wimpishness...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I actually had a doctor accuse me of cutting myself because of some scars I had on my shoulders. I told him that I just ride a bike a lot and tend to crash on occasion. He didn't beleive me and I ended up getting a new dr.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Westy said:
I actually had a doctor accuse me of cutting myself because of some scars I had on my shoulders. I told him that I just ride a bike a lot and tend to crash on occasion. He didn't beleive me and I ended up getting a new dr.
Now THAT's funny.

Your doctor would probably accuse me of attacking myself with a belt-sander...I'm the abrasion KING!

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
I had friends in just about every crowd. I'm a very easy going guy, and never really had problems in that area. I did have a friend who was extremely well liked. Played Football, had a bad ars lifted Jeep. Basically, he had everything the guys not in the "in" crowd wanted. For some reason he was depressed too. But why??? He was in the right crowd apparently. I never knew though. He cut his wrist twice. I think for attention form his dad. It came to a point we asked him WTF? He said he didn't know, some times he just gets depressed, and feels like killing his self. Well we were in highschool, and it probably wasn't the best method, but one night hangin out the topic came up again. Some one asked if he felt like killing his self why did he call 911 right after you did it. Why didn't he just sit there and die? He didn't know. One of my other friends said well, next time if there is...Cut your wrist the right way, don't call 911. Basically, put up or shut up. I don't know if he's still alive, because we never stayed in touch, but he never tried to kill his self for the next 3 years I knew him. It's funny how the grass is always greener when your in high school. I had some great times, and some bad times in HS, but I've never felt like hurting myself until I got married...HAHA j/k. I had to end this with a joke. Too depressing.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
Westy said:

I had some on my shoulder in HS too. My mom said what the heck are these...I didn't have the balls to tell her from last night baby!!!

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Never had a desire to kill myself - but I always thought that , if I were going to, I would want to load myself with explosives, attach a detonator to a (150 foot) rip cord, attach the rip cord to the top of the tallest building within jumping distance of the 16th street mall here in Denver, and jump off of it . Of course, I'd probably get distracted while building everything in the garage and end up working on a bike or something instead...

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
JSB said:
I had some on my shoulder in HS too. My mom said what the heck are these...I didn't have the balls to tell her from last night baby!!!
I had the exact same thing happen with the first chick I was with - told my dad that I fell rock climbing (I'm sure that he really believed me). It was bad enough that the entire experience was uh...unsuccessful, but makes for a good story anyhow since I had marks for about a month afterward.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
s1ngletrack said:
I had the exact same thing happen with the first chick I was with - told my dad that I fell rock climbing (I'm sure that he really believed me). It was bad enough that the entire experience was uh...unsuccessful, but makes for a good story anyhow since I had marks for about a month afterward.
Definitely...My problem was I didn't even know they were there. I think that's where I look like I was lieing. It was like what the heck are those from...What!? Oh Shat! Uh....Blah Blah Blah. Then the look.