Quantcast

Whats Wrong with my Giant DH comp?!?

wooley_89

Chimp
Feb 17, 2005
hey guys,

I recently bought a 04 Giant DH comp frame of one of my friends, i put in my back wheel and found it was hitting the righ (drive) side of my sing arm.

i thought maybe i havent put it in right so i took my frame and my wheel to my friends house (who also has a giant dh comp) and put my wheel in his bike and it does the same thing.

so therefore my frames not the problem its the wheel.

but if both hubs are 135mm wide and a 12mm bolt through then what could be causing this?

could it be the wheel isnt dished right even tho the rims in the centre of the hub?

Thank you in advance
David

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Flip the wheel over and put it in backwards. If it hits the other side of the frame it needs to be re-dished. That or take it to your LBS and have them check it with a dishing tool.

Mike

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yep, I believe the Giant DH uses an abnormally dished wheel - might be zero dish, I'm not sure. Thought there was a thread about this in the DH forum - you could try a search.

Nothing wrong with your frame :)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
From a quick search:

Tootrikky said:
Traditional wheels are dished over towards the cogset. The Giant rear end due to being asymetrical is actually makes the wheel stronger because it allows you to build the wheel with the rim centered over your hub flanges, the main benefit being that the spokes are tensioned equally, and equal lengths on both your drive side and non drive side, it's just a pain in the ass to build and tru wheels this way because stands are designed to center rims over the the hub locknuts not the flanges.
buildyourown said:
He probably built your hub into a wheel and didn't realize the giant takes a zero dish wheel.
Looks like I was right when I said I thought it was zero dish :D

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Yep, the giant takes a 135mm Zero-dish wheel. You can't get rid of the dish with the spokes you have, so you'll have to get some new spokes (all the same length, of course) to build up the zero-dish wheel that you need. Sorry, but there's no easy way around this....

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
SuspectDevice said:
Actually, there should be enough theads left on the spokes to redish the wheel as-is. I did it for a few wheels when I had my Giant.
You can't say that without seeing his wheel, he could have spokes that are just long enough with the dish that he has now. Have an experienced wheel builder look at the wheel and see what he says, and new spokes are only 20 bucks or so if you plan to rebuild the wheel.