Quantcast

What's your favorite tool?

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
And don't go there...

I've been riding with hardly any repair tools, and with my last ride consisting of a broken chain, I think it's time to get some repair gear. The bike mag I checked out last week didn't contain any comparisons on tool kits, so I'm hoping you guys could tell me what kit your using, and share their pros and cons. I've heard TOPEAK is a good brand to go with. I looked at their Alien. I believe it had 23 tools, including the chain tool. The problem I see with these type of folding tools is space. My friend tried to help a rider with a bake lever issue a few months back, and his TOPEAK had trouble turning the allen head once inserted. All because of the bundle it was attached too. I also looked at a box kit where everything was separate, but it only contains 16 tools. What tools get used the most in your opinion. I might just focus on thoses for now. In my experience it's been tire tools, and allen, and now a chain tool. Anyway, that gives you a long winded idea of my situation, and hopefully you can provide input on what direction I should take.

Thanks,
JSB

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
Yep, It's funny because I did a search and found that that is the most, if not the only recommended tool. The tire levers would probably be one tool I'd need to be reliable. Thanks!

Oh no...I must be getting the low post ignore treatment. Unless of course several people ride with out repairs tool like me.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Allen wrenches.

Tires come off if you know how to roll them, unless it's a DH rim/tire combo. I set my chain up so I have two SRAM quick links and I can shorten it to run single speed in a pinch. A couple extra sets of quick links comes in handy now and again too. Only other tool you need on a mtb is a flathead screwdriver for the limit screws, and you can use a car key for that.

V

Vermont

I have been riding 10 years and i have a lot of experience wrenching bikes. I'm the guy on your local ride who people are always asking to adjust this or help with that on the ride. This is the tool kit i carry with a couple of additions of 2 and 2.5mm allens, a mini pump, a Co2 shooter w/3 canisters and 2 tubes.

The PPM-2 features an improved spoke wrench; lighter tire levers; 8mm, 9mm, and 10mm open end wrenches; a bottle opener; a tire boot; and a smaller tool wallet to house it all, the PPM-2 Park Pack Mini Tool Kit isn't just another set of emergency tools. It's a collection of high quality tools that are small and light enough to take along for the ride. Also includes CT-5 Mini Chain Brute tool, MT-1 Multi Tool, and 3 GP-2 glueless Super Patches. All the tools are made in the U.S.A. and fit neatly into a neoprene tool wallet that can be easily tucked into a jersey or seat pack.

Weight: 11.6 ozs. / 0.33 kg

Attachments

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Slugman said:
N8 :nuts: j/k
I saw who posted and the thread title and I thought to myself......I bet it is N8, then I :think: maybe it is me :eek: :D

I have metal tire irons b/c I kept breaking the plastic ones... best investment I ever made.
I jsut picked up a set of the Pedros tire irons (almost MX size) but I also want to get s cheap set of small steal ones so I can carry them in a Hydropack.

Good call on the tire irons....you never appreciate them until you NEED them. :o: :)

statorjso

Chimp
Jul 7, 2004

Besides that one, my bike stand. Imagine years and years of crouching down and trying to tune while holding the handlebars to keep your bike standing.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I like my crank brothers one, but I've never used any others, so I can't compare it to anything. I suppose it would be one to consider, anyway.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
Hey I think I like the Park Tool the best so far. I like the chain tool it comes with better than the Alien. Does the Alien separate like the Park?

statorjso what stand do you use? I've actually been thinking of getting one of those too. I've actually been using my Hitch rack to work, which can be a pain.
Have you heard of the Spin Doctor Essential Workstand. It's relatively cheap, but looks to be a little different from the normal stand.

Thanks for the input thus far guys. I was unaware of some of the tools mentioned.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I just carry a 4mm and a 5mm allen wrench, tire levers and my swiss army knife. I've found that anything that breaks on a trail can be repaired with these tools. If I need more tools than this it probablly means that I've broken something that will need replacement parts that I wouldn't have on hand anyway. I've only broken one chan and that was almost 10 years ago, I recently bent my derailur but was able to ride out in one gear and in this case no amount of tools could have fixed the problem, I needed a new derailur. Other than that I've never been stuck, really it's not like you're going to rebuild your hub on the side of the trail or install new cables and housing because you missed a shift (although I could do this with the few tools I carry.)

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
JSB said:
Hey I think I like the Park Tool the best so far. I like the chain tool it comes with better than the Alien. Does the Alien separate like the Park?
Yes it does. The only beefs I have with the Alien are the tire levers and the weight. There are several tools on it that, for my bike, are completely unnecessary, but what the hell, it was a gift. :)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Multi tools while nice and compact often suck....they are poor substitutes for the real thing.

If I can get away with it I go without a multi tool. The closest thing I got to a multi tool is my Park Allen wrench folding combo (keeps them organized in my messy tool box) I like it but I found a Park multi allen wrench that had a phillips and flat head screwdrivers instead of allens...:rolleyes: What a POS. Put more allens where they are instead. I have a multi screwdriver (2 sizes Phillips and 2 std) That breaks down small for packs...I bring that better tool for the job.

As for he tool I use all the time.........it would be my 3pt Allen wrench by Park. The tri-star looking thing. I use that all the time when working on my bike in the stand. It covers 90% of the allen selection I need and is comfortable to use to boot.

Rhino

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i've been using a specialized emt recently it's not bad, but i really like the look of that Park MT-1 multi tool with all of those allens on one single peice of metal. Nice.... But i like a burlier heavier chain breaker it makes life easier, so i'm not sure if i would like the park chain breaker.... so for me personally i look at separate ideas that would best serve me in utility.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Crank Bros tool is okay, except eventually from repeated rain/guings it will get rusty and ish. The Chain tool sucks on it...but hey, everything else is great and it looks shweet :thumb:

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
BikeGeek said:
I like my Alien, but the tire levers suck. I broke one the first time I used it.
same here.

i use my allen wrenches the most; any size. the Aliens are good, but, yeah, very little leverage. just carry tools for likely breaks; ie tires, chain, all allen sizes, tire levers and tube or patches, maybe a pedal wrench if you can fit with you.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
My topeak tool blew totally, it had five little detachable pats which are now all lost, which renders the chain tool useless.

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
Had good luck with the chain tool on the multi 17, I like it 'cause you don't have to have another tool for it to work. Multi 17= :thumb: oh it has spoke wrenches, that is cool.

What I actually bring, I have 4 5 6 allen w/ phillips & flat head screwdriver multi tool thing that is old, 2 tire levers, spare tube, patch kit, blackburn pump. I also carry a full impact wrench set and a portable co2 canister. Done forget a complete cone wrench set.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Multi 17 rocks, except the chain tool needs help in some situations.

My favoritest single tool would be a park pedal wrench...large, heavy, and blunt :D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
RhinofromWA said:
I saw who posted and the thread title and I thought to myself......I bet it is N8, then I :think: maybe it is me :eek: :D

I jsut picked up a set of the Pedros tire irons (almost MX size) but I also want to get s cheap set of small steal ones so I can carry them in a Hydropack.

Good call on the tire irons....you never appreciate them until you NEED them. :o: :)
Oh yeah, Pedro's tire levers ROCK. I have broken everything but a Pedro's lever...

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I carry this and a small leatherman....

http://serfas.com/tools/ST-1.html

It comes in a small pouch to keep everything together which is nice too.....if your not concerned with a couple onces then I recommend it. I also recommend taking 6-8" of duct tape and folding it up into a square. Comes in handy more than you would think!

jeb4

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i have had good luck with the multi 17 chain tool. one thing that you can do to help the thing from rusting to the soak the thing in a really thin oil. the metal will absobe a little oil and will help prevent rusting

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i carry a full size park chain tool with me, since i really dislike using the tiny multi-tool ones. back in the shop, the heft and solidity of a nice, single purpose tool like my park pedal wrench is a big part of the bike maintenance experience.