Quantcast

what's your resting heart rate?

bURKeNSTiEN

Chimp
Nov 18, 2002
Aww-stray-lee-ah
actually, whilst we are on this...

How accurate do you all find the old calculation of Max HR being 220-your age?

Anyone have anything more accurate?

I mean for me its actually spot on, but I expect it to improve on my new training schedyle.... just wondering about you people

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My max is 193 so for me the 220 - age is not accurate. I am a long distance runner so that accounts for high and low. As an athelete I think you will find that the numbers on the net are not for you - just your average joe in average shape.

bURKeNSTiEN

Chimp
Nov 18, 2002
Aww-stray-lee-ah
You are right about running.

low intensity running (ie strictly aerobic) has been the best thing I've done to a)lower my rhr & b) increase aerobic capacity.

I have a fair base of this slow running under my belt now, and I can actually run fast & have it feel GOOD (ie powerful & controlled) and it's a great feeling.

I aim to have my rhr down to mid-high 30's in 6mo time

I assume its possible to increase your Max aswell? I mean I'd be aiming for 210 ;)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
If I do not excercise for 3 days or more my resting heart rate will drop to the low 40s - but this is not normal for me. My max has been steady for the last 2 years so I don't know about raising it any - it typically goes down with age - even with excellent cardio capacity.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by bURKeNSTiEN
You are right about running.

low intensity running (ie strictly aerobic) has been the best thing I've done to a)lower my rhr & b) increase aerobic capacity.

I have a fair base of this slow running under my belt now, and I can actually run fast & have it feel GOOD (ie powerful & controlled) and it's a great feeling.

I aim to have my rhr down to mid-high 30's in 6mo time

I assume its possible to increase your Max aswell? I mean I'd be aiming for 210 ;)
the low 30's is nuts, where you have it now is good.

if you want to do something funny....if by some odd chance you end up in the hospital and have you on hrt monitor, you know the big ones that beep....if you get as still as you possibly can and drop it down into the 30's it flat lines. scare the living shiet out of the nurses yo :D

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by bURKeNSTiEN
Nice :devil:
hope you never have to be in the situation where you have to be monitored w/ a hrt monitor in a hospital but if you are and are doing ok then have some fun :D

bURKeNSTiEN

Chimp
Nov 18, 2002
Aww-stray-lee-ah
Originally posted by indieboy
hope you never have to be in the situation where you have to be monitored w/ a hrt monitor in a hospital but if you are and are doing ok then have some fun :D
Well I was just a few months ago actually... some unknown/unnamed mystery illness. I wasn't on a beeo beep machine though. They thought it was meningococcal... always fun to have a Lumbar Puncture test for NO reason!

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
My usaully about 48 BPM resting. I'm 16 but my high end sucks.
I know road racers that are 28 and get their max up to 200pbm and my goes to like 180 in a race.:rolleyes:

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
rhr 38 max of 204

oh ya, i am a DH guy and not supposed to be in here. I just wanted to check it out a little cause I have another road race coming up (shhhhh)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
somewhere in the low 50s nowadays. was mid-upper 40s in high school, ie when i was "in shape" :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
RHR about 55bpm. Funny thing is I am in much better shape now than I was this time last year, but this time last year my RHR was 42bpm. Go figure.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
At the military screening physical I was at (for which I was nervous as hell at because I was worried I'd be disqualified) I registered a 50. If I wear a HR monitor to bed I'll get something in the low 40's when I wake up.

Relating to Indieboy's comment about the whole flatlining thing: When I was in the hospital after my jaw surgery my HR kept on dipping below 30, and yes, it does give that tone! That happened about three times that I remember (I was all sorts of doped up, my freaking jaw was just broken), each time the nurses scurried in and yelled at me to see if I was responsive. It would've been hilarious if I didn't have to vomit blood every 10 minutes...

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
wow. you are in killer shape, proper job!

my heart rate it at a cool 60. once a second. i should prolly try and get it lower, but i'm prolly at my resting rate more then you guys/gals.:rolleyes:

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Originally posted by indieboy
When I was young and used to race BMX ,and ride all day long ,I could get mine down to about 33 ,and I was at the DR`s office one day and did the rested rate ,and it freaked the nurse out so she called the DR :eek: :eek: :eek: ,and he came in and took my heart rate :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ,and then asked me if I was an athlete :p :p ,I love EEFing with people like that