Quantcast

What's your winter training program like?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
It's cold and dark here in Northeast Monkeyland and I'm starting to think about my goals for spring and how to reach them. What kind of training programs have you set up for the winter and what goals are you hoping to accomplish as a result? Be as specific as you like about how you train!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
On a more serious note, I'm trying to ride the trainer 2 or 3 days during the week. And on the weekends I either snowboard both days, or bike one day and snowboard one day.

I need to get a little more serious about training though.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
right now i'm drinking a bunch of wine, watching the HBO series Rome, and knitting.

I really hope I'm faster next spring with this routine!
LOL! I too have been enjoying some libations as part of my training regime ;)

I actually need to get my a$$ in gear! In the past, I have hit the rollers 4-5 times per week (I would spin as part of a warm-up on my weight days and seriously ride 3-4 times) and also did some weights for upper body strength as well as pilates and the strength training ball.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I skate ski a lot, commute by bike almost every day, and ride my cyclocross bike on the road when it's warm. I keep up my intensive core workouts year round.

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
I've been hitting the gym a lot with the hubby in the morning and doing some weight training. In the winter, I usually wind up swimming a lot, too. But I'm excited to see how the weight training helps with the DH come spring.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I skate ski a lot, commute by bike almost every day, and ride my cyclocross bike on the road when it's warm. I keep up my intensive core workouts year round.
I'm actually thinking seriously about taking a few parts off my road bike and buying a Jake the Snake cross frame. I want to train on dirt too (backroads, rail trails etc.) and not just pavement. Do you just ride the cross bike during the winter or year-round?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I'm actually thinking seriously about taking a few parts off my road bike and buying a Jake the Snake cross frame. I want to train on dirt too (backroads, rail trails etc.) and not just pavement. Do you just ride the cross bike during the winter or year-round?
I use my cyclocross bike year round - it takes turns with my other 6 bikes :)

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
Spin class. Bleah. :P Hopefully it won't be as rainy here in CA as it was last winter, so I'll get to ride a little more. But on rainy days, it's spin class and lifting weights.

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
hmmm... training.

last i heard most 17 year old girls DONT... then again none of them ride bikes either.:disgust1:

but hey, i'd like to be original.

so far i've been waking up at 9 every morning, watch my tv show while stretching and warming up. then i switch on the ipod and run for an hour by this creek trail.

usually later on in the day i'll go out to the local jumps and help the local groms build (when they get out of school). i havent jumped them yet, still regretful of it:banghead: , but i still need my fs 4cross bike. once i get it back, i will hopefully have the guts.

then on weekends i take bart and caltrains for 2 hours (one way) to go across the bay and ride some DH.

still have yet to ride santa cruz. hopefully this winter though.:thumb:

and i will learn to snowboard for the first time!!! i should be going with the bf, but if that doesnt work out a couple other guyfriends invited me. maybe some of you mudhunnies want to go for a day in the snow at northstar?

I love winters. especially californian winters :weee:

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
hey pinkster.... as someone who as worked in ski school, the best advice i can give you is to take a snowboard lesson. don't have a friend (especially a bf teach you). it never ends good.

and if you come down to south shore we could meet up (i get passes to kirkwood and heavenly).

winter is finally kick in here:

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
hey pinkster.... as someone who as worked in ski school, the best advice i can give you is to take a snowboard lesson. don't have a friend (especially a bf teach you). it never ends good.

and if you come down to south shore we could meet up (i get passes to kirkwood and heavenly).

Wow, please send some of that to the Northeast. I'm getting sick of still wearing my fall clothes. Break out the sweaters!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Our snowfall has been pretty pathetic this year.... But not like the northeast has had over the last couple of years. You guys DEFINITELY need some snow. I'm heading to CT to say my parents this weekend and seems like I have a good chance of getting a bike ride in.

No fall clothes here. Low of 7 tonight.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
For snow I'll second what Amy said. Get a lesson.
I'd wakeboarded, scateboarded, biked, etc and knew I could figure it out quickly. But after several days of essentially doing it wrong, a friend actually "tought" me. It's been downhill ever since.

For training. I ride my singlespeed as much as possible. Saves wear on your drivetrain/pivots, and it's super, super hard. It's like lifting weights and cardio at the same time. Forces you to become smooth like you never imagined.
I ride road too, but usually long rides on the weekend.

I love California.

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
well i was going to get lessons...

until i realized that the cc in tahoe that i'm going to offers snowboarding as an elective. so i'll wait and just have fun this winter wingin' it.

but ya, if i ever head that way i'll let ya know!

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
Training??? Lets see, put on 10 pounds so far, no snow so no skiing, can’t find winter riding pants ??? their missing just like the winter in ny. Hooked bike up to trainer, turned tv on tv broke, only can go 10-15 mins on trainer at one time. First time in my life I'm actually wanting spring to come so I can go ride. I get out of work too late to ride, even though I have lights, no one else seems to want to ride at night. Call me crazy but I'm not to keen on night riding alone, I know some of you do, but not me, at least I'm not that desperate...yet (getting closer with each day):rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:
Oh well let me go spend my 10 mins a week on my trainer :plthumbsdown:

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial

:disgust1: Whereis this winter wonderland:disgust1:

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
LOL...I just realized this is in the MudHunnies :)
You and Rob still up for riding this weekend? might even get Stosh out there, we should bring training wheels for him, since he hasn't been on a bike in months.
I ordered some winter cloths and they should be in tomorrow.
Not that I need them this year :(

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
I'm a snowboarder too, weight training and running and the stationary bike. If it's a nice day I'll still go out for a ride.

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
working out that is. I'm currently working 6 days a week, lots of hours. Therefore little time for the fun stuff. I got today off 'cause of New Years, so I did all those errands that have been piling up.
I try to do a 3 hour road ride on Sundays
Spin class on Fridays,
1 night ride during the week
1 night weights at the gym.
I guess I'm just maintaining what I've got. I hope to ride Trumbull, CT tomorrow. It's great mtb, but maybe a long road ride. The weather has been Awesome.
I just bought a DVR to record the Amigen Tour of Cali in February. I can stay on a trainer longer if I'm watching a road race. A little is better than nothing.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
With the over 2' of snowfall we've gotten in the last 2 weeks I've had to stay off the bike which really bums me out. Shoveling has become a big training session but I've been running everyday during lunch and then strapping on the snowshoes and walking in the snow everynight. Can't do much else with all this snow. We haven't gotten into the mountains yet for some snowboarding just because of the holiday's and everything being overcrowded, more so than they already are. Hopefully the snow will clear off the roads more this week with the warmer temps so I can start commuting again.....

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
I got a new trainer, set it up wrong, fell off my bike and bruised my butt. That has to be a new record, falling off a stationary bike. Sigh.
Training sucks.

Jane

Chimp
May 9, 2003
People's Republic of Golden
With the over 2' of snowfall we've gotten in the last 2 weeks I've had to stay off the bike which really bums me out. Shoveling has become a big training session but I've been running everyday during lunch and then strapping on the snowshoes and walking in the snow everynight. Can't do much else with all this snow. We haven't gotten into the mountains yet for some snowboarding just because of the holiday's and everything being overcrowded, more so than they already are. Hopefully the snow will clear off the roads more this week with the warmer temps so I can start commuting again.....

We drove back to Golden from the mountains this morning (no snow there) and I had to shovel for 3.5 hours to clear the driveway and sidewalk. Damn corner lot! But that's definitely my workout for today.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I got a new trainer, set it up wrong, fell off my bike and bruised my butt. That has to be a new record, falling off a stationary bike. Sigh.
Training sucks.
Ouch! That happened to me in the parking lot after I tried clipless pedals for the first time.

Hang in there! Get some exciting dvds to watch:monkeydance:

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
LOL! I crashed off my rollers a few times too...I find that I lean with bike videos when they use helmet cams.

I'm scared of the rollers. My BF keeps trying to get me on them, but I would feel really stupid riding indoors with my fullface and pads on, and that's what it would take to get me to ride them!

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
2007 Plattekill Race Schedule (tentative)

Downhill Extreme Series
May 13 #1
June 3 #2
July 15 #3
August 26 #4
September 16 #5 (double points)
October 14 #6
November 11 #7 (double points)

XC King of the Hill
May 20 #1
June 14 #2
September 30 #3
October 28 #4

Dual Slalom Series
May 12 #1
June 2 #2
July 14 #3
August 25 #4
September 15 #5
October 13 #6
November 10 #7

Check it out at:
http://www.plattekill.com/files/2007...20schedule.pdf

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=goog-sl&hl=en

Now with this just in, I'm going to have start on the trainer! I've never DH before, but it looks like so much fun!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
i only rode the trainer once last week. i'm already bored of it. ugh.

but at least the boarding here is getting a *little* better.
here's a short little movie i made of riding this weekend:

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
we haven't gotten any snow here lately, so me and the mr. went to the bay area to get some riding in.

all you ladies who live out that way have got it made in the winter.

it was 65 and sunny. so perfect.

here's a photo from a road ride we got in on saturday in the city:

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
we haven't gotten any snow here lately, so me and the mr. went to the bay area to get some riding in.

all you ladies who live out that way have got it made in the winter.

it was 65 and sunny. so perfect.

here's a photo from a road ride we got in on saturday in the city:
tis true... it's only rained like twice, and when it has it made the ground tacky.

i love california!:cupidarrow: