Quantcast

Wheel Build

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Hi,
Perhaps this is a dumb question but hopefully its not and the answer can save me some time and money. I have a 32 spoke front hub, and I'd like to lace it to a 28 spoke Crossmax rim. Is this possible? If so does anyone know what the spoke pattern would be and/or have a link to an online guide? I've built a wheel before but with matching rim/hub.

Thanks

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
Sure.

One thing is that you will be requiring a lot of different spoke lengths, skipping a few holes will also result in quite an uneven tension for the spokes near the skipped area.

One of the keys to a good build is even tension, something that will be very hard to accommodate when leaving out spaces on the rim.

Also, the differing spoke lengths and/or differing spoke patterns on either side of the wheel will prove a bit quirky to tension evenly.

There is a little article about a similar problem on Sheldons site, check it out: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/mismatch/

A build with a 28/32 combo can be defo be acheived, but the result may not please you.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Gotcha I was hoping that perhaps I could just use a 28 spoke pattern and skip holes on the hub, but this sounds like something only a very competent wheel builder could accomplish and even then would prove to be impossible to maintain w/o a truing stand (which I dont have up at school)....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I have to also point out that I've seen beginner wheelbuilders struggle with what seems like simple variations like 2x.

If you consider the cost of getting a new rim (or hub) vs why you are building yourself a wheel, I would think the extra money would be worth building a strong and durable wheel, vs a risky science project.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
I agree, i just wanted to know if I could easily save some extra cash etc thanks for the responses!

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Spoke counts aside, there's no way to transition from regular spokes to crossmax mounting as it is different from mavics regular UST eyelets.

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
Actually, the old C-max had regular eyelets (for normal spokes, not the zicral jobs of today), I was assuming acair422 was sporting the old model.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Part of the problem also lies in the fact that there isn't a surefire way to determine the necessary spoke lengths. Sure, you could spoke-a-log it to get a good starting point, but from there it would be mostly trial and error to get it right.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
I just built a 32/24 combo...not fun, but I did it. I don't think 32/28 can really be accomplished. my 32/24 worked out like:

16 DS spokes 2x assuming "2.5" crosses on a 32h hub and rim...
8 NDS spokes 1x assuming 1x on a 16h hub and rim, skipping every other hole...

(not me modeling)

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
I just built a 32/24 combo...not fun, but I did it. I don't think 32/28 can really be accomplished. my 32/24 worked out like:

16 DS spokes 2x assuming "2.5" crosses on a 32h hub and rim...
8 NDS spokes 1x assuming 1x on a 16h hub and rim, skipping every other hole...

(not me modeling)
Is that a Fall Out boy holding the wheel?

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
that's a pretty crazy pattern, i ended up just buying a cheap matching rim so problems averted....for now