Quantcast

wheel building question....

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
ok, so im building up a set of 32 holes....
drop in the in bounds on both sides...then which way do you turn the hub (if youre looking at the hub from the drive/right side)

i learned to turn the hub left...looking at several diff wheels i have, handbuilt and factory built, some the inbounds are trailing, and some the outbounds are trailing...

so yeah, which way do i turn?

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
I put my heads-out spokes in (spokes run along the inside of the hub flange) and turn the wheel clockwise looking from the driveside. Heads-out/inner spokes trailing.

That's just the way I learned and have always done it, I guess. :confused: I'm sure there was a reason that I've forgotten - something about the spokes tightening up the wheel when you mash the peds?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by DßR
something about the spokes tightening up the wheel when you mash the peds?
But that's only assuming power from one pattern out of four on the wheel are providing drive. What I mean is, the whole hub is driving both sides of the flanges so it really doesn't matter. The "ideal" pattern your probably picturing in your head will exist somewhere regardless of where you decide to intentionally put it.

just for reference, I turn the hub clockwise too just because I like to see it that way first too