Quantcast

Wheel Truing

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Does anyone have the Park TS-7 wheel truing stand? Any comments on whether one should buy this or not? It's the cheaper one, about $70.

R

RideMonkey

The cheaper one is fine, but you need to get a dishing tool with it.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by ridemonkey
The cheaper one is fine, but you need to get a dishing tool with it.
Dishing tool? can't I just use a ladel or a spatula?

j/k, the dishing tool comes with it.:)

Micro-Sanjay

I invented Erbon Assolt
Nov 26, 2001
Tustin- not in OC
damn... Heidi..a woman who loves to ride...and then ride some more...and thinks about riding again in always the near future..
and now she is her own mechanic... what more can you ask for?

I still use my bike frame or fork truing my wheels by sight... If Heidi is not married, I'd say I have an online bike- crush on her..but all good things must come to an end.

Nah, I actually owned the same cheaper park truing stand (until someone 5-fingered it) and it worked just fine. I never could figure out how to dish a wheel though.. I suck.

Corporate racer:
Ozzer

G

gravity

don't you need different length spokes to dish a wheel properly?

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by gravity
don't you need different length spokes to dish a wheel properly?
Yes unless the hub flanges are equal distance from the center of the hub, then it's a "dishless" wheel. (like front standard hubs) When you add things like freewheels, disc rotors, etc, that sides flange is made closer to center, so the spoke length from flange to rim is shorter. Ok?

A dishing tool is easy to use. It's really just a centering gauge. Dishing takes a little time. You add tension to the side you want the rim to move to and/or remove tension from the side you want the rim to move from. Just be sure not to keep adding tension past what the rim can handle! Most wheels can be dished pretty close to dead on by flipping the wheel in the stand ( or fork, or frame ) as it's trued.

If you ever come across one, Pure Cycleworks makes a nice truing stand. It's very minimal and primitive looking, but it's very bombproof and portable. It's a heavy steel base with one non-moving upright. You use the QR to hold your wheel in, and to dish the wheel you just turn it around in the stand. It comes apart with one hex wrench and will fit in a Camelbak. ( it weighs like 10 or 12 lbs though ) The are hard to come by though.