Quantcast

wheel

NovatoSCFR

Monkey
Aug 27, 2004
NOVATO CA
Ok so i am going to attempt to rebuild my front wheel with a new hope bigg'n i just got. I haven't done this before and have no idea how to even get started dissassembling the old wheel. Its a doublewide on a ringle hub. 36h. Anyone wanna offer up how to get it done? Thanks

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Start by taking off the tire of course and the rim strip. OR wait you prob dont have a tire on there yet. haha wait....nvm. I got myself confused. Start by snipping all the spokes and pulling them out then start inserting the new spokes in a pattern. Then thats all i can help maybe somewhere where i left off.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Doublewide?

First I'd get a new rim too. Like a EX 729.

Aside from personal opinion then...

Loosen all the spokes before cutting. Or you may be buying a new rim anyway.

Mike

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Watch a few people build wheels, and do what they do.

Starting with no idea what you're doing will result in 5 or 6 messed up attempts, but if you like learning by trial and error then go for it. Get NEW spokes and nipples, LOOSEN and remove your old spokes (or cut if you're not re-using the old spokes, but after they're as loose as possible or your rim will warp uber-badly). Have another PROPERLY built wheel (same pattern as your new wheel will be) with you for reference, this is helpful to understand how the spokes cross and what flange holes to start on. And, find a good website (GOOGLE SEARCH) to give you step-by-step instructions to guide you through it.

Damn, I must be feeling nice today.....

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
Wumpus said:
Go buy this book.

I was at a wheelbuilding course with Gerd Schraner today. We got to build our complete wheelsets. DT 240s with xr4.1d rims, competition spokes. Was great to meet the legendary wheel-master :D He even teached us the soldering process. His main tip was: take your time, do not hurry when building a wheel.
At the end of the coures we got a signed copy of his book, and some tools. I'm so stocked. Respect.

Sverre