Quantcast

WheelBuilding HELP

Aztomac

Chimp
Mar 17, 2002
Los Angeles
i want to start to learn how to build wheels, i've ordered THE ART OF WHEELBUILDING already. On top of that what are some good ways of learning to wheelbuild correctly, what should i start out with, etc etc

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
You've got all you need. I built my first wheel using only the book you have and it worked great. Just read the book once or twice before starting, follow Gerd's instructions EXACTLY, show some patience when you get down to the final truing stage and you should be fine.

alex spencer

Chimp
Aug 5, 2001
england
if its your first wheel build a nice non disc front wheel, they're the easiest to start on, and if all else fails copy the lacing from another wheel.

rfemurfx

Chimp
Jun 6, 2002
durango
the book you got is the best one out, in my opinion. that is cool that you have decided to build your wheels, but the biggest things i've seen with wheels is that they are under tensioned. how tight or how loose your spokes are will make or brake your wheel. if you feel this is something you want to take very seriously i highly suggest buying a truing stand, dishing tool, and tesiometer. the tensiometer is what tells you how much pulling force your spokes are applying to the rim and is impossible to tell by feel. i dont care how expirienced you may be. if you dont want to fork out the cash for the tools then i highly recommend taking it to a bike shop that has AND uses such tools.

Another great book is The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt-
kind of old school, but it covers obscure stuff like tying/soldering, and crow's foot lacing.

The only trick to lacing is finding a pattern for you to consistently put the valve hole between crosses and have the hub label visible through the hole.

As far as actually building wheels, lace one up, unlace it, lace it again.
And the slower you tension the wheels, the better they'll come out.

Good luck

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Check out Sheldon Brown's wheelbuilding site:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

Not a pretty site, but has good info. Details for 36h, but you can figure it out for a 32h. There aren't too many good sites for wheel building, but it's one of them.

rfemurfx is right about getting the proper tools, although you can build a decent wheel without a tensiometer, I've found my wheels to be stronger overall when using one. A really nice truing stand can cut the time in half, too. Just remember, little changes, small increments.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Originally posted by Tweek
Check out Sheldon Brown's wheelbuilding site:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

Not a pretty site, but has good info. Details for 36h, but you can figure it out for a 32h. There aren't too many good sites for wheel building, but it's one of them.

rfemurfx is right about getting the proper tools, although you can build a decent wheel without a tensiometer, I've found my wheels to be stronger overall when using one. A really nice truing stand can cut the time in half, too. Just remember, little changes, small increments.
this site was great. so easy to follow. you dont need a truing stand either...just build it in the dropouts. i've built 3 wheels that way and they all seem to be holding up fine. just take it to a shop and make sure they think its safe to ride. also have them check the truing and tensioning. dont worry, non drive side spokes are a little looser than drive side.

might also want to look into getting a spoke length calculator.