Quantcast

Wheelies and Manuals

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
GrapeApe79 said:
I think that you are right and that pushing your feet forward on the pedals is key. Yeah, the book gives me an idea of how to do things, but technique is definitely something that comes with time I am learning.

( see my other post about camps) They will school you on wheelies and manuals. As I recall, it's that leg extension that's the key, and it will help your jumping.

gg

K2Crazy

Chimp
May 4, 2005
If you make it out to any of the rides I've got posted, I'd be happy to show you how to do manuals and wheelies. :) I can't swear I'm always 100% at it but I can show the techniques for both to get you started. After that, it's just practice. Seems like that's why guys are good at it, instead of standing around chatting in the parking lot while their friends get ready, they're riding around practicing their wheelies and track stands, both skills which help you survive a whole lotta stuff.

The rides I post are the LUNA Chix rides through www.bbtc.org and plan on being on a couple that others on the team have posted as well. There's an intermediate ride at Skookum on the 20th that I posted, there's a beginner ride (that I could take you aside and work with you for a little bit) on the 23rd, and an intermediate ride at the Wurm that I'm leading. Any of those would be opportunities for a little practice and skill work. :) The beginner ride may be too slow for you, but I sure got good practice with my trackstands sweeping for those rides and practicing my wheelies in the back of the pack. :) Guess it's all what you wanna get out of the ride. :)

Good luck!
Susan

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Thanks Susan! I'll be going to a camp at Whistler that weekend (19th -23rd), otherwise I'd be all over it! I would love to come ride with you guys sometime. I live in Issaquah and frequent Tiger Mountain and am always looking for other women riders. I'll have to check out your rides on the bbtc. Thanks!

By the way, my name is April--look forward to meeting you on the trail at some point this Spring / Summer.

K2Crazy

Chimp
May 4, 2005
Enjoy camp, I'm headed up in June for a Dirt Series camp at Whistler, and the weekend before Alison Dunlap is doing a beginner (St. Eds) & an intermediate camp (Galbraith) with us as well. Should be a fun time and I always learn something or get time to practice some skill I should be better at. :) Will also be back up to Whistler in September to help assist with the Sugoi camp as well in case anyone is planning on making it up there then. :)

Hope to see you out there at some point soon!
Susan