Quantcast

wheels

JohnEZ

Chimp
Oct 10, 2001
Houston, Texas
My rear Rolf Propel tubeless wheel flat spotted in the Huntsville race two weeks ago. That's not a warranty item. So, suggestions for a Clydesdale (200 lbs) that rides rough, but wants to stay light.

DH rims should hold up, but Sun Rhyno Lites or Mavic 321s are heavy. I am not a downhiller or freerider.

I'd love to stay tubeless (not one flat in 3 months, including rough courses at X-Bar and Kerrville races). Mavic Crossmax? Or are they just as flimsy as the Rolf Propels?

I had a set of Mavic 517s with Hugi 240s, and had trouble keeping the rear in true.

Experiences? Suggestions?

:help:

R

RideMonkey

I'm 180 and I've been riding the crossmax wheels for almost 2 years. They have been VERY tough. I would definately recommend them.

thatoneguy

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
N. California
with tubed tires. The Mavic 519's are made for digger riders. They are right in between the 517's and 521's. Also, you might want to lace them onto Hadleys, which are bullet proof...

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Hey i think Scott S has a set up crossmax's for sale cheap only $550. The front one has not been used and the rear one was only used for the huntsville race.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Originally posted by thatoneguy
with tubed tires. The Mavic 519's are made for digger riders. They are right in between the 517's and 521's. Also, you might want to lace them onto Hadleys, which are bullet proof...

righty on, thats my call too. Dont be afraid of the 521s though. they will last a long time if you treat them well.

dw

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
The problem with keeping the rear in true with your other wheelset could have been due to a medocre build. But I would look at the Bonty Valient for the rear with the asym spoke hole drilling. In theory this would be a stronger rear wheel without to much of an increase in rotating mass over the 517 or the front valient. My $0.02

Metroid

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
Cary, NC
I agree that your wheel not staying true would be to a poor build. First of all, you really need to be riding 32 spokes. Then maybe look at some Bontrager Mustang, or maybe even Velocity Synergy rims. Both have Asym rear and a bit heavier than a Valiant but still less than a Mavic 519 freeride rim. Double butted spokes will be a lot stiffer than the revolutions. Alloy nipples are fine as long as the rims have eyelets (which the suggested ones do). Some nice stiff hubs like King or maybe even the new crazy light American Classics to round off the wheels. Finally, and most importantly, have them built by a competent wheel builder (not a machine). What holds a wheel together is proper tension. The wheel going out of true or tacoing is caused by uneven tension. If you don't have a competent wheel builder in your area, try Mike Garcia at oddsandendos.com. He has gained a rep on MTBR as a real wheel guru and weath of info on wheel building components.

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
yes, I would agree with rider x . Go for something a little stronger and forget the 32 spoke idea unless you want a rim only for the race. The 517 with the Hugi hub would have been hard for me to keep true and I'm 175-180lbs. Go for something with a little meat and lighten the bike in other places if you feel a need to lose some ounces. 519's may be your best bet. The build is crucial for good wheels that last. Even good to mediocre builders will not do. My last wheels were built by Excel sports in boulder and they are the tightest wheels I have ever had built. 1-800-627-6664 orwww.excelsports.com

shabakki

Chimp
Jun 1, 2008
Salt Lake City
Hey Mr. "JohnEZ"...
Wanna sell me your propels? I've got two perfect rims and have since given up on riding on them...but, if you want to sell me a hub, let's talk.
Reply and let me know.
Later.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I've done a handful of DH races with my Crossmax SX's that ended up with podium finishes, so by no means have I been easy on them. They are still true and spin fast. They also helped drop my bike weight down to 34lbs tubeless. Unfortunately, I don't have any first hand experience with that Rolf wheelset.

Metroid

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
Cary, NC
Hey Mr. "JohnEZ"...
Wanna sell me your propels? I've got two perfect rims and have since given up on riding on them...but, if you want to sell me a hub, let's talk.
Reply and let me know.
Later.

Holy grave digging! You realize this thread is 7 years old. :clapping: