Quantcast

Wheelset advice

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I was sort of set on a pair of Crossmax XLs but the deal did not go as planned. Soooo, I am back at the beginning. I need a UST wheelset (not doing Stans or anything, has to be UST). The Crossmax XLs are a bit more than I can afford at the moment. I am considering: Crossmax Enduros, XM819 rims and Hope bulbs or XCs. The Bulb/819 combo, with QRs and such, would be around the same in cost (maybe more) than the Crossmax Enduros. The convertible hub is a nice feature on the Bulbs but as it looks like I am changing DH frames, it is of limited use to me (I was planning on possibly using the XLs as a light wheelset of tame DH courses). Price is a pretty big factor but I really need something that will hold up. What would you do? Are there other options I am not considering?

BTW, I am about 180 lbs w/o gear and these are going on a Giant VT. Trailbike riding, UST tires.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by JRogers
I was sort of set on a pair of Crossmax XLs but the deal did not go as planned. Soooo, I am back at the beginning. I need a UST wheelset (not doing Stans or anything, has to be UST). The Crossmax XLs are a bit more than I can afford at the moment. I am considering: Crossmax Enduros, XM819 rims and Hope bulbs or XCs. The Bulb/819 combo, with QRs and such, would be around the same in cost (maybe more) than the Crossmax Enduros. The convertible hub is a nice feature on the Bulbs but as it looks like I am changing DH frames, it is of limited use to me (I was planning on possibly using the XLs as a light wheelset of tame DH courses). Price is a pretty big factor but I really need something that will hold up. What would you do? Are there other options I am not considering?

BTW, I am about 180 lbs w/o gear and these are going on a Giant VT. Trailbike riding, UST tires.
You're definitly on the right track with the Bulbs/819. Mavic's UST rims are very nice, Hope makes great hubs, and if you ever went to a 20mm fork (for heavier duty trail biking), you've got an easy swap.

I don't know if the Enduros use anything proprietary but keep that in mind - proprietary stuff is a pain.

Take spokes, nipples and wheel build into account when pricing, though. The Enduros are all pre-built so that stuff is already factored into the cost. Good butted spokes aren't that cheap - figure on at least $25/wheel for spokes & nips. If you build 'em yourself, that helps.

Consider used hubs if you're looking to drop the price a little. Personally I don't like used rims but a set of slightly used Bulbs - or any other hubs (Hugi makes great hubs) - can be a good way to drop the price a bit.