Quantcast

Wheelset for Big Fella / Breaking Spokes

RollingStone

Chimp
Jul 14, 2011
Georgia
I currently have a stock 2010 TREK 4300 with OEM Wheels and Tires. I've gradually been riding more and more, farther and farther (almost always paved riding trails, local community, etc).
The issue is that I am 6'3", and 330 LBS, and keeping my bike in tune at the LBS has worked great until recent times.
I am beginning to break spokes. This has happened two times in two rides. My LBS has fixed the wheel both times, as I am not a spoke tuner.

Looking for Ideas. I've asked my LBS about options, and if I should replace all the spokes with a higher Gauge DT spoke or something, and their response was that I'd be better off getting a better wheel, double walled, or something like that, due to replacing all spokes on the OEM wheel would be costly, and not the best of options.

My LBS said that this time they will check over the tire very well, and replace the broken spoke, as well as another bent spoke discovered, true the tire, etc, and that it might be OK after that.
I've started riding 40-50 mile trips on the weekends, and do not feel comfy getting into a position where I am that far away from a fix.

Looking for suggestions, or maybe a good wheelset recomendation that would hold my weight. (Note, I do not ride much offroad, or do I jump hills etc).
Bike has 26 in wheelset.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
First of all, you should have hand built wheels made. While the cost is high, so is the quality.

As part of the wheel building process, you can now select the right components for your size: 36 hole rims and hubs, cross 4 lacing patterns, and freeride rims.

RollingStone

Chimp
Jul 14, 2011
Georgia
So thanks for the Suggestion Sanjuro, and for those of you slamming on the 4300. I have what I could afford at the time, and have done a few componet upgrades to the ride so far. I like it, that is all that matters I guess. Just need the suggestions on Spokes and Rims. Keep your negative comments in your pocket please, or offer a better suggestion.

Thanks

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It is a good question about putting an expensive wheelset on a cheap bike.

I did think of a cheap freeride or dj wheelset as well, but it has to be compatible with your bike, i.e. Quick Release front and rear.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Easy there big fella.

Just imagine if I spent $2000 on alloy rims for my $3000 Saturn. Admit it, you would laugh.

And by the way my first MTB was a Trek 4500 (about 12 yrs ago when they were US made son!). I later bought a full component set to pimp it out and gave it as a gift to my father. He still rides it to this day and I wrench on it whenever it needs love. So no hate for the bike.

All kidding aside...

You need a different bike. The weight limit on your bike is 300lb (consult the owners manual: http://www.trekbikes.com/pdf/owners_manuals/my07/07TK_OM_english.pdf). If you bought it at your LBS then take it back, point this out and request a full refund.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Dude. No worries about the cheap bike. Once I have the money, my wheelset moves with me.

Seriously, I bought my Scott CX Team (I am on my 2nd frame...) bike for 1200 bucks on sale. I now have an $800 wheelset on it that is bomb-proof (36-hole Velocity Deep-V rims laced to Phil Wood hubs). I have not had to true this wheelset in a year and I have about 2,000 miles on it. I am 6'7" 260lbs and put a hurt on components (I just snapped my Dura Ace crank this morning). This wheelset that I bought through prowheelbuilder.com is amazing. I paid a premium but it was worth it.

Ride what you can afford and love it. When you afford what you love more, go for it.

I suppose that goes for women too....

:):thumb:

RollingStone

Chimp
Jul 14, 2011
Georgia
Thanks for the suggestions guys. The 4300 has served me well thus far, so I will stick with it until there is a need for something better, or I have disposable cash for something better, which to me, the only thing that could get better is the wheelset at this time, as I am not a competitive rider or anything, and as mentioned before, barely go off pavement.

So an update: My LBS is a nice group of folks, and the owner is a super guy. He fixed the spoke, trued the wheel at no charge, and talked with me about it, saying that if I have any more problems, he will work it as a warranty and get a replacement wheel (as it is only the rear wheel having issues). Said he'd credit me the wheel and work something out to upgrade my wheel.

So after the fix last week, rode pavement in a local ride spot about 25 miles, with no issues. I will continue this way unless something breaks, in which case I will take the LBS up on their offer.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
Welcome to Ridemonkey btw. Don't let the e-douchery deter you from the site. Just about everyone here is pretty cool. Except for that Mr Jones guy. He's an ***hole.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
When a wheel starts shedding spokes regularly it's time for a new wheel. It's a tough pill to swallow, but all of your spokes have been fatigued close to the breaking point. It will continue breaking spokes until they're all replaced. It's much cheaper, and much less of a hassle to just pop for a new wheel.

Also, Take it Back for the new wheel true!! A new wheel loosens up during the first few rides as the spokes bed in. It doesn't matter who the wheelbuilder is. This is a reality of spoke wheels. Loose spokes don't spread load as evenly and the wheel will fail much faster if it is not tensioned well.