Quantcast

When Buying A New Bike....

ems781

Chimp
Jul 11, 2008
I just started to plan my first bike trip. I plan on riding a good section of the C & O Canal Towpath in the DC area. I'm looking at bikes and trying to decide what kind would be good for me. I don't think that I really need a front suspension but if it fits in my budget I wouldn't mind it. I'm looking to spend $400 to $550. Any suggestion? And if anyone has been on any of the C & O Canal Towpath let me know what you thought about it. Thanks!

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
For those new to the sport, all you need is something that rides and won't fall implode on the first trail.

With that being said.... Are you open to used bikes? For that amount, you would be able to get a well spec'd used hardtail (front suspension only). $400-$500 would probably get you an OK hardtail at one of your local bike shops. There are sooooooo many good bikes out there. Nowadays, rigid bikes (no suspension) are usually toy bikes (toysrus, walmart, etc..), bmx, road bikes, or are specialty rigs for hardcore riders.

Jeepnut22

Chimp
Jul 15, 2008
For riding the C&O Canal, a $400 - $500 bike will be more than enough. Bikes in that range come with reasonable front shocks and even comfy seat post shocks. Makes things nice and comfy for that style of riding.

Can you smash some singletrack with that kind of bike. No way...

Giant and Specialized both make bike in that price range w/ front shocks and would be just fine for the C&O canal and similar riding...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
A Trek 4300 or 4500 would fit the budget and be a fine platform to get a taste for mtb'ing

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
A friend of mine just picked up a Giant rincon. Very nice bike for the cash.

Go to your local bike shop, tell them your planned usage, and your budget. They will get you the right bike.

I went used and I'm glad I did. Took a while and the search got a little frustrating at times but I ended up with a Giant VT3 (with upgraded components) for $750 off of Craigslist. I'm loving this bike! I was fortunate too in that I have my cousin and her bf who know a lot about bikes and they went with me to check it out. I'd say if you do go used and you have friends/family who are into mountain biking, enlist their help in checking out potential purchases.

WestRider7

Chimp
Feb 19, 2006
Boise
My best advice, just remember buying parts for bikes gets expensive real quick, just getting a tune, new chain and cassette for a bike will set you back about 120 bucks, just factor that into any used bike purchase.