Quantcast

when did v-brake spacing change?......

D

Dave-in-Md

I bought a pair of Kool-Stop "thinline" brakes the other day and the arm almost went to the tire, with the largest spacer on the inside. I took them back and returned them, and the LBS informed me that I must have "first generation" v-brakes. It was news to me that the spacing had changed (must have been asleep that month. Just wondering when they narrowed the spacing?

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
Your bike shop is on crack! First generation, second generation, american made, chinese made. Their is no standard. Four questions you should have been asked.
What brand of brake do you have? (ie:Shimano,Shram,Tecktro?)
What model of brake?(ie:LX,XT,5.0,9.0,Ultimate?)
What bike do you ride?
What year is your bike?
And since I didn't sell you the pads I need to know what pads you got that were wrong.

wrenchguru

Chimp
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by Dave-in-Md
I bought a pair of Kool-Stop "thinline" brakes the other day and the arm almost went to the tire, with the largest spacer on the inside. I took them back and returned them, and the LBS informed me that I must have "first generation" v-brakes. It was news to me that the spacing had changed (must have been asleep that month. Just wondering when they narrowed the spacing?
There is no such thing as first gen v-brakes. Go to your shop and return the Thinline pads for the Kool-Stop Mountain pads. They are thicker and should solve your problem.

Originally posted by Dave-in-Md
Actually, your LBS is right. The first few years of V-brakes the Shimano standard was for 39mm between the end of the noodle and the cable anchor. The part where the cable spans between the brake arms. The year (2001 I think) that XT got changed to that silver color and LX went to the almost XTR grey, they changed that measurement to 45mm. Shimano doesn't make a big announcement or anything, they just put it in the tech manual that all the bike shops get. I could be worse, they could be going to the Microsoft school for product development.:D