Quantcast

When did you start riding dirt (or road)?

How old were you when you started riding dirt or road?

• Under 18

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • 18-22

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • 23-30

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • 30+

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This is my attempt at an informal marketing survey. Really, it just piques my curiousity...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I actually tried mountain biking when I was in the 18-22 range, but didn't really enjoy it and stopped riding. I really started riding and enjoying myself a few years later (23-30 range) and now I can't stop :D

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Running and volleyball was really my passion growing up. It wasn't until I was about 23 that I picked up riding casually, and 26 that I got serious.

Marketing survey for what?

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
It depends....I started riding on my trike and had a love for bicycles until my parents forced me to wear a helmet and that just wasn't "cool" yet. Went on hiatus then picked it up (road) again in college. At about 26 I started really getting into mountain biking. At 30...still going strong....love the mountains and the road.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I was hitting jumps in third grade.
kept riding until about 6-7th grade.
Picked it back up when I was 18 (my first mt bike)
dropped it in college (how dumb was that?)
Picked it back up when I was in the Air Force
Dropped it again
Picked it up again last year

I am hoping that I don't drop it again. :)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Heidi said:
Running and volleyball was really my passion growing up. It wasn't until I was about 23 that I picked up riding casually, and 26 that I got serious.

Marketing survey for what?
For my own sales techniques. The women's market is a tricky one for me, especially working in an all-male shop.

I feel I do a good job of it, but improvement is always important. I want to listen to what women are doing in terms of their riding, and that I have the bikes and equipment to succeed.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Got my first mtb bike in college at about age 20 but just used it to scoot around town basically. Started trail riding at just about 23 years old and have been hooked ever since (I'm 30 now). Started downhillling/racing at age 26.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Bought my first MTB three years ago next month. Starting hitting the trails the day after I bought it.

I have NEVER rode on the rode. It's too scary :nope:

Edit: Oh, I bought my bike for my 29th birthday.

rainbow_smoke

Monkey
Sep 19, 2003
Bellingham, WA
mm biking! known to ride and loved it since I was 5. never had a new bike, but I did get to pick out my own from the thrift store. when I was 21 met my man, and he helped me put together a DH bike! funtimes!!!!!!

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Started biking on the road with my fancy diamondback sorrento when I was 19 ;) ...Bought myfirst "version" of a road bike that following summer and used it to commute around Viriginia and DC...
Met some doods who were into this weird offroad thing called DH - they leant me a big bike for a coupla rides and even though I fell over a lot, it was pretty fun so I bought me my own dh bike...had some fun with it...
Now I'm mostly XC riding - which is more fun for me, lasts longer, and lets me go up hill :D
I'm 26 now...

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
I started riding seriously in 1996 when I moved to Steamboat Springs, CO. Everyone there had bikes so I figured I had to have one, too. I was quickly hooked! When I moved back to CA, I started racing XC...then DH...and now I just ride for fun. My first 'real' bike was a Gary Fisher Tassajara that I think I paid $400 for. It didn't have a suspension fork on it, so once I started getting more and more into it, I paid $300 for a Rock Shox Judy that had a whopping 2.5" of travel. My, how things have changed! :)

dookiegirl

Chimp
Mar 11, 2005
Washington
Well I have been riding since I was in grade school and doing actually jumps since about 2nd grade but I split my head open when I was 9 so it scared me away for a bit. Just starting to get back into the more extreme part of biking now. Here's to hoping I don't chicken out on too many jumps. :)

burnergirl

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
I fell in love with 2 wheelin' when I was about 8 on my purple bike with a cool basket up front. Loved riding the Oregon trails behind my house. Mountain biking hadn't really been invented yet. My interest was renewed when I was about 16 watching those bike tourists going up and down the Oregon Coast on those fancy road bikes. I swore I was going to do that. Joined the military at 17 in 1989, bought my first road bike and rode, rode, rode as much as possible before USMC bootcamp. Joined military, found husband, had baby, and didn't ride again until 1997 when I discovered mountain biking. Did my first race in 1998 and have raced every year since in SoCal. I'm still in the military and currently enjoying mountain and road biking in Japan.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
I went on a xc ride with my boyfriend (husband now) on a local trail (on his bike). The next thing you know I purchased my first real mtn bike~Santa Cruz Superlight. I now have been riding xc for 2 years in May, and I have been Dh'ing 1 year as of this month. What can I say...I'm totally addicted to mtn bikes!! :thumb: