Quantcast

When do you start training?

most people find being a veg cheaper... and if it's "calorie dense" then wouldn't it be easier to meet caloric needs with soy? when looked at in its entirety, soy protein isolate is equal in terms of quality as the best whey and milk protein isolates, maybe you need to reevaluate.

what sort of supplements do you find necessary when not eating meating compared to eating meat? just curious...
No - I'm talking meeting max calories. Soy has too many carbohydrates to replace lean meats and eggs if you want to balance your diet well. I'd end up eating a whole meal's worth of calories in soy beans in order to get enough protein, and would then be deficient elsewhere.

Amino acid supplements would be a must - if you're training 20h a week and you have a nutritionist, it's going to be suggested. In order to meet max caloric intake goals you can't eat all the other stuff necessary to build a "complete" protein.

I'm not suggesting eating a meal entirely of lean meats, but they're a vital key to most people's training plans. Very few can get by on a veg diet and compete at the highest level without a lot of money and professional support behind them. I don't have either, hence my reliance on giant bags of frozen chicken, cans of tuna, bulk packages of eggs, and oversized tubs of low fat cottage cheese.

FWIW, I limit my consumption of a protein food "replacement" (like a whey or soy protein shake) to one a day.

Last edited:

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
if I'm not mistaken there are certain B vitamins in red meat that you just can't really get elsewhere, as well as lots of iron. I'm no expert on this subject but I don't think that soy is the answer to nutrition.
its true the b vitamins in red meats are more easily digested, but not the only source. it seems like most of these supplements should be taken regardless by an athlete. soy is not the answer, but then again people shouldn't be getting their protein from one source anyway.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm back in the saddle after a few weeks off. I rode my bike into work today; that was the first time on a bike since Nationals. I'm going to start training this Friday for the up coming mountain bike season. I have a fair amount of weight to lose so this should be "fun" :)