Quantcast

When should a helmet be trashed?

dirtinmyeye

Chimp
Apr 16, 2012
My oldest son cracked his brand new Fox V3R helmet at TTC this past weekend. This was his Christmas present and he is bummed. Luckily it took care of his noggin like it was supposed to do! The crack is about an inch and a half long and located on the back upper area of the helmet. It seems to only be in the outermost layer - but it is a crack. You can push down around it and it separates at the edges.

So my questions are these:
When does a helmet need to be tossed? (this would be an expensive toss! :eek:)
If this helmet gets cracked so easily and my son is so good at wrecking - what might be a different helmet for us to look at?

Thanks!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Helmets are only intended for single impact and should be replaced after a crash resulting in any damage to it. Also not all damage is visible and may result in an unseen weakened area. Most helmet manufacturers recommend replacement after a few years even if there is no visible damage due to UV rays breaking down the foam.

Replacing the helmet is way, way cheaper cost wise than dealing with head trauma and ER expenses, even with health insurance.

A lot of DH'rs on here run Troy Lee carbon lids which are pricy, but seem to last longer. 661 makes some good stuff at very reasonable prices.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
If there is a visible crack, absolutely replace it immediately. I replace my helmets about every 2 years even with no visible damage. I often inspect them for compressed foam and cracks. As mentioned it way cheaper than a ER bill. A helmet is designed to crack and compress to disapaite the energy from the fall. Getting one that is "tougher" isn't better.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I can't wait for the day when they can design them like a football helmet, one that can sustain multiple impacts, but in a lighter package than a football helmet.

-Brett

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Most companies offer a crash replacement policy; call up and see if you can get a replacement helmet for a discounted price.

dirtinmyeye

Chimp
Apr 16, 2012
Thanks for the info. After contacting Fox, POC, and TLD - only TLD offers a 30% off retail crash replacement policy. I am currently researching POC and TLD. I am not interested in paying for a fancy paint job that chips off with the least little ping. The paint job on my son's Fox helmet chipped off with the least little ding. Not to mention the one good wreck that cracked it. Don't think we want to go carbon again since this child of mine has a reputation for eating it - BMX, DH, Super D, Enduro - doesn't matter. Time to explore.....

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Most manufacturers suggest replacement after 3-5 years regardless of an impact. The plastic and foam deteriorate after a few years. It makes me nervous seeing people with helmets that are 5+ years old.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Most manufacturers suggest replacement after 3-5 years regardless of an impact. The plastic and foam deteriorate after a few years. It makes me nervous seeing people with helmets that are 5+ years old.
People riding in the old Azonic's or 661's make me cringe, those things were dangerous when they were brand new and tons of people still wear them. So sketchy.