Quantcast

When we can actually start a thread.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I don't know where to post this, but since it applies here, perhaps it's the best place for the discussion.

I don't know why people use this forum as their own personal communications center. This is a place for posting bad deals once they are completely settled and the seller or buyer is unwilling to fix it. If they've offered to fix it, I don't want to hear about it, and don't post here until they've made it clear that they won't fix it or until you've had no communication for a week or two.
So I don't derail their discussion in the brake thread, I have seen this forum get the ball rolling, when it might not have otherwise.

Whether you believe it or not, if someone sends an item, or pays money and the other end is not exchanged in a timely manner, that makes for a bad sale. They are used parts. There should not be lead times in the transaction. I know things happen, but if folks don't respond, this is a good prod, so it seems.

We can post 1200 Nigerian scams, but heaven forbid we post our real problem.

As you know, my issue was resolved quickly after I started a thread, but would cederrowe's ever have been with Sanjay, had he not started his thread? He got bashed more than Sanjay did there. What I think is wrong is that there is more mod involvement in this particular forum than any place else on Ridemonkey. Being a mod doesn't make someone a judge.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't disagree with ceder's posting of the Sanjay thread. He hadn't heard back, had no contact information beyond what he used, and was missing a part. If you read the thread, you'll see that I backed him up on it and ended up locking the thread because of all the people who ran in shouting about their good sale - as if that matters :rolleyes:

If you mailed me, say, a seatpost clamp and it arrived to me damaged, I waited three weeks to say anything and when I finally did you said, "Sorry, it wasn't damaged when I sent it. What can I do to rectify the situation?" - wouldn't you be livid if I posted a bad sellers thread?

The bad sellers forum is a last resort situation, IMO. This is not the, "start a thread so you can talk to the buyer" forum. This immediately takes someone from being a good seller to being someone the entire community is likely to question before they buy again. I left your thread up because it was a legitimate complaint, but I'm still allowed to voice my opinion on the subject if I think it's unjust. That's part of a public forum. Let's not forget that you decided to delete it because you got butt-hurt that I didn't agree with you. ;)

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
I deleted it because you had a valid point. I am just saying that I think that ceder had a valid point too. There again, it's rare to ever have both sides of the story.

I honestly am just curious as to when it's appropriate to start a thread. If you don't have something as expected, you are more likely to jump the gun. I really am a fair person and let things slide, so you can imagine the frustration that I suffered before I ever started my thread. It all worked out, and I am thankful. I just think if we had a sticky with what people thought was reason for a thread, it would simplify things. It seems like often times a thread is started and it is belittled by someone and the poster is made to look like a douche. I am just looking for clarity, for myself and others, as they seem to have the same question. I honestly am not trying to stir. I know I have done that in the past, but it does me no good to start trouble and then miss my whole thread before it's trashed anyway. That would be like arson, and I am more of a pyro than an arsonist. :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I am just saying that I think that ceder had a valid point too.
That's where I don't agree. What valid point? The seller said his part was not damaged when he shipped it (we don't know if that's true) but offered to fix the situation. Instead of ceder telling the seller what would be an acceptable solution, he posted a bad seller thread :rolleyes:

What's not clear-cut there?

IMO, posting a thread here is the equivalent of a bad feedback on eBay. It should only be done after everything within reason has been done to rectify the situation. Posting a thread in here can really mark someone's reputation - after all, a hundred good transactions go unnoticed but the one bad transaction can be a big black mark. If the original poster has offered to fix the situation or is in communications with you about how to resolve things, that is not the time to go posting in this forum. Post in here when the buyer/seller has stopped communicating with you or has refused to fix the problem.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
A big business does not have major loss of business because of one unhappy customer.

An individual seller can have complete lack of business because of one unhappy customer damaging their reputation.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I've seen several people use this forum to throw a tantrum when they are too lazy to actually try and rectify the situation. All I've done is remove specific usernames from the thread title while the issue is still under discussion. If it turns out that the person actually screws over a RM member, I will add their name to the thread title again.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
I've seen several people use this forum to throw a tantrum when they are too lazy to actually try and rectify the situation. All I've done is remove specific usernames from the thread title while the issue is still under discussion. If it turns out that the person actually screws over a RM member, I will add their name to the thread title again.
Perfectly fair.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
It seems more like you are taking the side of one party in the wording of the title. Since CR's name is attached to the thread you see his username before you read what transpired within the thread. If you don't take the time to read through it, it makes him look like an ass?
I have no vested interest in it either way but it seems like it would be more fair to leave the thread title alone until they have come to some sort of resolution. If one person got pissy about it then I could see you changing it to drag them through the coals. But if they do come to a solution it would be fair for the original poster to delete the thread or ask for a title change? If they didn't even though they were in the wrong then I could see a mod stepping in.
It seems premature to do so otherwise.
As the owner(?) I suppose you could have read through all their PM corespondance and decided that he did jump the gun. But from what was posted I could see how it could have been taken the other way.
"It was fine when I shipped it... what do you want me to do about it". If that is all that was said then I think I might have taken it that he was saying screw you. But if he replied the way he did in the thread then yes, CR jumped the gun.
But with out knowing what else you know that hasn't been posted it seems like you are backing BP. Maybe you guys are buds and you are?
In light of the Sanjay thread it sure seems like you aren't taking CR's side even though he had(has?) a legitimate complaint there. I've have dealt with Sanjay twice; he bought some cranks from me and later I bought a fork from him. Everything went as it should have. But Obviously it didn't with CR and he had a legitimate grip even if it was only for $10 or what ever it was. If some one burned me for $5 you better believe I would drag them through the mud here or anywhere I could. I would get my $5 worth.
But maybe thats just me.
$.02

cederrowe

Monkey
Feb 18, 2006
portland, oregon
"It was fine when I shipped it... what do you want me to do about it". If that is all that was said then I think I might have taken it that he
was saying screw you.=QUOTE

But Obviously it didn't with CR and he had a legitimate grip even if it was only for $10 or what ever it was. If some one burned me for $5 you better believe I would drag them through the mud here or anywhere I could. I would get my $5 worth.
But maybe thats just me.
$.02[/QUOTe

This is how I interpeted the responce from him when I contacted him. I thought it wasn't going any futher than this once he claimed I had damaged them. This also wasn't from my view a article being damaged in the mail, a small rusted nick was were the bend was. Maybe I miss interpeted his meaning of "what do you want me to do". But it would have been a world of difference if this was the first thing he typed. And I don't think public discussion is the undoing of a seller either, if the readers see a level headed resolution to the buyers and sellers problems it makes me for one more secure in doing business with that person.

And the Sanjay incedent. almost three months worth of me trying to contact him over this wheel not being shipped. I had more than enough reason for posting on this thread. And to be undermined by the thread being changed to "wheel lost in the mail" is a disservice to all the people who use this thread.
And once again to justify my reason for posting.....I STILL HAVE NOT BEEN PAID BACK FOR THE WHEEL!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ceder, you were perfectly justified in the Sanjay thread, you don't have to be defensive. I specifically locked it so that your complaint did not get buried under a mound of "...but, but I HAD A GREAT TRANSACTION WITH SANJAY!" comments.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Since the complaint was valid and still has not been resolved shouldn't the title of that thread be changed back to what ever it was? Maybe a moot point as I don't see it listed anymore.
It's still there, on the first page, and the title is "I think the post office lost the wheel I bought from Sanjay" so the reference to Sanjay is still there and the title is probably accurate.

That's a fair point but I have no idea what the original title was, I don't think I was the one who changed it, so I am unable to change it back to what it was.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I don't remember what the thread title was originally.

I still think this forum gets abused by people who are too lazy to work out problems among themselves.

And I'm not talking about cederrowe so debunch your panties.

From now on I will just rename it to "dispute between user-x and user-y".

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
It's still there, on the first page, and the title is "I think the post office lost the wheel I bought from Sanjay" so the reference to Sanjay is still there and the title is probably accurate.

That's a fair point but I have no idea what the original title was, I don't think I was the one who changed it, so I am unable to change it back to what it was.
The Default Thread Age Cut Off (my ridemonkey/edit options) has moved it off the page. No way to go back and see it unless you do a search or change the default.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I though the default was to show all threads? I've never changed mine and it is set to view all threads.

Why would yours be set to cut off threads that are only 2 months old? :confused:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I though the default was to show all threads? I've never changed mine and it is set to view all threads.

Why would yours be set to cut off threads that are only 2 months old? :confused:
If you click use the forum default it is only one month -- lounge only goes back to 2-06-2007.

I've never messed with it.