Quantcast

where can i find an 8 spd road cassette?

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
I think you're not going to find a "road" cassette in 11-30!! Just get an XT, there are plenty of them still around in 11-30. 8sp isn't the easiest to dig up, but I've seen them at Cambria, Performance, etc. Just poke around a little, they're out there.

Just make sure you're looking under MTB cassettes, b/c road ones don't come in such ranges!

BTW, make sure your rear derailleur can handle that big a cog (30t). It probably won't and you'll have to get a mtb also; I'm not aware of any road derailleurs that'll handle a 30t! Incidentally, MTB cassettes are compatible with road shifting, as long as your rear derailleur can handle something that big.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by pat873401
i'm looking fo something like 11-30 or 12-30 or around there (for climbing)
Judging by the tooth count, it does sound like you want an 8-spd mountan cassette, but if you want an 8-speed road cassette, I'll sell you my Ultegra 8 speed cassette, still in pristine condition.

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
My first road bike had a XT 11-30 cassette and a XT rear mech.(I had the parts already and needed to build the bike up so...)
Worked like a charm! Your LBS can still get the cassette you need, I just got one last week for a guy that is still holding out with 8speed as long as he can. :)

WB

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Also, SRAM still makes 8 spd cassette's for their 5.0 group, so even if your shop can't find some NOS shimano cassettes they can order you the SRAM.