Quantcast

Where can I order a tap for chasing BB threads?

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I thought about getting facing, reaming, and tapping tools that are bike specific. It would be awesome to have those tools, but in reality I would use them once a year at most, and they cost hundred of dollars per piece. Maybe if I one the lottery.

For the time being I'll use the tools at my shop for free;)

Shanks

Chimp
Jan 3, 2004
Ontario, Canada
I'll second that, I usualy chase and face all threads my own bikes, even if they're "factory" done, It makes a huge differance. My Dad works for a company that sells high end taps for machining etc. He showed me how much just to get a set of taps for cranks would be (9/16" x 1 aka english standard Left hand and right hand) HOLY ****! untill I win the lottary im happy owning a massive tool box with non of those tools in it.

Fast Freddy

Chimp
Feb 12, 2003
Ohio
The Park tool is designed to be used as a thread cutter (even if no threads are there) and from what I understand is your looking for a tool that will just Chase or clean up exsisting threads (remove paint and gunk for better fit). My LBS has one - and it's been around for ages... but I've been on him for like the last 4 years to find someone selling these... and like you I want to spend around $100... but no luck yet... every time I need one I run down to his shop and he lets me borrow it.... but I'd love to have my own someday!

Not much help here - but I understand what your looking for!
FF

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
anybike shop
but they are expensive and i would only suggest the park tool one. and they are like 300-400. it is better just to let a bke shop do it