Quantcast

Where do springs come from?

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
I contacted Manitou trying to get hold of a firm ride spring way back for my FORK. They don't have anymore, however, they were kind enough to give me all the exact dimensions, thicknesses, diameter's and specs of the spring to try to get it from somewhere else but could not tell me their supplier.

Obviously Manitou does not manufacturer springs. Therefor they purchase them from SOMEwhere else...

WHERE do they get them FROM?

Anyone have info on these companies? There has got to be a spring manufacturer that makes springs that would have the spring I need in stock or be able to manufacture it with the specs info I got from Manitou...

Last edited:

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Yah man, anything will help if I can eventually find their supplier. I still don't know why they don't give that info out. Well, actually they want your spring to wear out and not be able to replace it I guess, that way you'll buy another fork but I can't buy a firm ride spring fork that's just two years old.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
www.mcmaster.com

No idea if they've got what you need but they sell springs.
Hey, any help is help! Thanks. I figure with the spec info Manitou gave me on the spring, someone is going to be able to make them or have them stock or be able to order. When I find out, every Manitou Travis Triple owner will know! I have heard a lot of people request them online. Thanks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
from a mommy spring and a daddy spring...

seriously though, chances are it will be expensive to have a one-off spring custom wound. if you've got the specs for the coil, see if the coils made by another company (rock shox, marz, etc) would fit.

and let us know when you find out, i'm sure the other 7 people that still have a travis would be interested.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Actually I think if I found a couple or if I could have them made fairly cheap, I'm sure they'd be worth it to sell on Ebay. When I had older Travis forks on Ebay, all seven people contacted me and asked me if I had the firm ride spring for it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Any price range that you won't make fun of... :D
not that i would make fun of it, i just don't think you realize how expensive it would wind up being for a small run of custom springs. most steel springs are reasonably priced, but that's because they're manufactured in very high quantities (we're talking in the thousands here).

i really think your best bet would be to see if springs from another manufacturer would fit. if they're not 100% exact, you might be able to get one to work, depending on how close it is

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
I sort of figured a 32mm stantion on another manufacturer might work. HAB's link I noted they have springs of long lengths' it says they can cut to size. If I can find something close, it would be worth it to give it a shot. I've also thought about contacting Manitou through snail mail and see if they'd give me their supplier for that particular model and year so I can go direct and maybe get the exact one I need. I wouldn't even mind if it's a bit stiffer than a firm ride spring.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I sort of figured a 32mm stantion on another manufacturer might work.
This is your best bet. I HIGHLY doubt that Manitou is going to tell you who their supplier is (generally that stuff is considered IP, and is treated confidentially. at least in my industry it is).

That being said, once you find a spring that roughly matches the OD & rate, you'd be better off with a spring that's a touch short than a touch long. You can add a shim(z) to make up the difference. If you use one that is too long, it can be a PITA to install b/c it will have to be compressed/preloaded.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Just grab one out of another fork with similar travel. I've mixed and matched before. The fork is on borrowed time if they've stopped making parts for it, so there isn't much to lose.