Quantcast

Where do the nutrients go?

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I've been told that if I cook my food too much the nutrient value of that food goes down..well where does it go? All those vitamins just don't disappear.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
That's because many vitamins are sensitive to heat and air exposure (vitamin C, the B vitamins and folate in particular). And, the longer the cooking time and the higher the temperature, the worse it becomes.

Water used for cooking can also dissolve and wash away even more of those vitamins -- the water soluble ones. Therefore, any cooking that minimizes the time, temperature, and amount of water needed will help to preserve nutrients.

Microwave cooking is one of the best ways to preserve nutrients because it needs minimal water, and the cooking time is very short. Pressure cooking under steam is the next best because it too minimizes time and requires little water. Other methods for nutrition are steaming in a little water, stir frying, and boil-in-bag.

There are a few other tricks you can employ to preserve nutrients.

Minimize the surface area of food by leaving vegetables in big pieces. That way fewer vitamins are destroyed when they are exposed to air.

Some tips:

1. Always cover your pot to hold in steam and heat. This will will also help to reduce cooking time.
2. Use any leftover cooking water for soups, sauces, and stews, or vegetable juice drinks.
3. at fruits and vegetables raw whenever possible, or cook until just crisp and tender.
4. Use as little water as possible when cooking. The best way to destroy vitamins is to cook your fruits and vegetables in an open pot of boiling water. Only use that method when you're making a pot of soup and the broth and all will be eaten, and even then, put a lid on it!

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by Dog Welder
I've been told that if I cook my food too much the nutrient value of that food goes down..well where does it go? All those vitamins just don't disappear.
Supplement your cooked food with plenty of beer to regain those lost vitamins.

:monkey: