Quantcast

Where does everybody buy their cable housing?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
cables and housing are cheap enough that you'll save money buying at your LBS, unless of course you're looking for something really exotic and hard to find. You might check ebay for bulk housing reels.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Kornphlake said:
cables and housing are cheap enough that you'll save money buying at your LBS, unless of course you're looking for something really exotic and hard to find. You might check ebay for bulk housing reels.
Yeah I checked ebay but I'll search again.

Yeah for the shipping cost I'll just buy at my LBS.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I get mine, 4mm bulk housing, from my LBS. Many times it's free. Of course it's going on a $4000 bike I bought from them.

Mike

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
BigStonz said:
Just search for cable housing on Ebay....Hold on I just searched..nonethere.
Check out Airbomb-25' rolls for $12
Wow, thats not bad!! Sweet!!!

I did a couple searches on ebay and couldn't come up with much.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I was gonna say if you buy it in bulk (a whole boxed spool) it'll probably last you a life time and save money of the years.

I went to my LBS and got a cable and shift housing for.......I think $10 with ends and everything for the cable? Something like that. It wasn't too bad as all it was for was a remote lockout. If you have one bike then the LBS might be a good idea, but if you have multiple bikes then the bulk way is the way to go.

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
While we are on the subject of cable housing, it comes in 4 or 5mm. I've been using 5mm for both deraileur and cable brake because I figure there's less cable resistance.
Anybody have any thoughts?

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Spunger said:
I was gonna say if you buy it in bulk (a whole boxed spool) it'll probably last you a life time and save money of the years.

I went to my LBS and got a cable and shift housing for.......I think $10 with ends and everything for the cable? Something like that. It wasn't too bad as all it was for was a remote lockout. If you have one bike then the LBS might be a good idea, but if you have multiple bikes then the bulk way is the way to go.
Yep, that's what I've done. I have a file-box of deraileur housing, two boxes of derailleur cables, and bottles of the cable and housing ends. I also rode an M-1 which ate derailleur cables to the tune of 3-4 per season... My old Lawwill has a similar cable diet... I can replace a derailleur cable & housing and have it shifting like new in about 10 minutes... :rolleyes:

I bought mine from BTI when I had access to an account with them (don't now). If I was still racing, I'd say it's worth it to try to make a deal with your LBS for some file boxes. I never bothered with bulk-buying brake stuff as msot of my bikes have hydros and the I.F.'s V-brakes have Flak-Jackets. The cables on the road bike never get replaced... :think:

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
ChrisRobin said:
what's the difference between 4mm and 5mm housing other than apparent size.
Hmm... :think: ...usually, 4mm is for derailleur cables and 5mm is brake cables... bearing in mind the housing for each is constructed totally different: derailleur housing is constructed with the reinforcing wires run length-wise in the housing and brake housing is run in a coil (like a spring). They are NOT interchangable. Mainly, don't use derailleur housing for brakes as it has a nasty tendency to explode under hard, sustained compression. I've also seen rear derailleur housing explode at the rear loop - makes for a really mess of shifting... and is the root reason why I started carrying a box of spare housing to races and keep a coil of it in my pack during epic rides.

IMHO, if your FS frame has convoluted cable routing (and most do), keep a spare cable and housing in your pack at all times...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Ian F said:
Hmm... :think: ...usually, 4mm is for derailleur cables and 5mm is brake cables... bearing in mind the housing for each is constructed totally different: derailleur housing is constructed with the reinforcing wires run length-wise in the housing and brake housing is run in a coil (like a spring). They are NOT interchangable. Mainly, don't use derailleur housing for brakes as it has a nasty tendency to explode under hard, sustained compression. I've also seen rear derailleur housing explode at the rear loop - makes for a really mess of shifting... and is the root reason why I started carrying a box of spare housing to races and keep a coil of it in my pack during epic rides.

IMHO, if your FS frame has convoluted cable routing (and most do), keep a spare cable and housing in your pack at all times...
So you say not to use derailleur housing as brake housing...what about the opposite?? Using brake housing as derailleur housing. Like someone posted before, less resistance because of the bigger inner diameter?

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
There's a blurb in one of the recenr MRB mags about housing. Brake housing is built to compress slightly and helps in modulation. If you use it as derailluer hosing your shifting may be less crisp. That was the first I heard of the different constuction between the 2 types.
Of course, I read that days after "re-cabling" my hardtail with all brake housing.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Brake housing is NOT good for derailleur. The coils will give too much for crisp shift like that blurb says. I've tried it and it shifts pretty much like ass. The exploding derailleur housing for brake is no myth; been there, done it. The best housing setup I've found is to use full length for derailleur, whatever flavor you choose. I've gone 2 full years on mine w/o any hint to drag developing due to contamination. Another trick is to use the 1.1mm Sram cables vs. the 1.2 from everyone else. Stay away from coated cables as I've not found one that keeps the coating, especially the GORE ones. DO NOT lube the cable, just slip it in the housing dry. The Teflon inner housing is plenty enough slippery. Brakes can use segmented cables, but shield it against contamination. Avid Flack Jackets have worked wonderfully for me. When I cable a bike tho, I buy 2 sets of each der and brake as I run full length thru out. It makes for a pretty good exercise w/ zip ties.
The only bike I don't run full length is my road, but that's because it doesn't see any serious elements unlike my mt bikes.