Quantcast

Where I Put My Peloton

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In breaking news, scientists have confirmed that water is, in fact, wet.
And now, here’s Tom with the weather...

Who would have thought that when someone mentioned, but did not ask for advice, in regards to a subject that the thread was started to rather poignantly make fun of, that little actual advice was given and in fact received additional mocking? Crazy world this is.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
It has a built in power meter
I'm curious as to how the Peloton power meter actually calculates watts....not curious enough to actually research it though. It seems to WAY over-calculate power output. I see Strava workouts from people who don't normally ride, like runners rehabbing an injury, do a 60 minute Peloton workout and average like 300 watts, when I know there is no way in hell they can generate that kind of power. I'm a decent cyclist and I might average 200 watts for an hour at a very hard effort, and I can't do 30 seconds north of 300 watts, using the actual power meter that is installed on my bike (Power2Max). I see those workouts flash across my Strava feed and I just roll my eyes at them.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'm curious as to how the Peloton power meter actually calculates watts....not curious enough to actually research it though. It seems to WAY over-calculate power output. I see Strava workouts from people who don't normally ride, like runners rehabbing an injury, do a 60 minute Peloton workout and average like 300 watts, when I know there is no way in hell they can generate that kind of power. I'm a decent cyclist and I might average 200 watts for an hour at a very hard effort, and I can't do 30 seconds north of 300 watts, using the actual power meter that is installed on my bike (Power2Max). I see those workouts flash across my Strava feed and I just roll my eyes at them.
People pay moar money for a trainer that tells them moar watts.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've got the kinectic one on my fluid trainer of the same brand, and those are about the numbers it puts out, so I've taken them as reasonably accurate.

Also, you need to spend more time on the bike if you can't do 30 seconds at 300w. Even I can do that. Maybe some interval training would help. Fwiw I once did about 10 seconds at/above 800w.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
In all fairness, Peleton probably would have just hung themselves if they threw some 300 pounder on there. This is probably the best of the situation for them and they are getting a shit ton of exposure for basically free and even though it includes a lot of snark, they are definitely selling them. I probably know at least 5-6 people that own them that aren't cyclists.

And while the whole thing is comical on a certain level, this whole idea that you have to lose a bunch of weight to improve yourself is kind of lame. Let's be honest, a lot of people that aren't overweight are in shit shape.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There is probably a load cell somewhere that measures force and another for speed. A little math and you get power. But no matter what kind is sensors they use the signal is going to be super noisy. They will use some kind of filtering algorithm so they can display a steady value. How much care they put into that along with the quality and calibration of the system will determine how accurate it is.

More than likely the lizards knowingly fudge the numbers higher to make people feel better about themselves.

I have ridden with spin class needs who claim huge power outputs who are slower than shit on a real bike. Could just be that their pedaling dynamics suck on a real bike.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
In all fairness, Peleton probably would have just hung themselves if they threw some 300 pounder on there. This is probably the best of the situation for them and they are getting a shit ton of exposure for basically free and even though it includes a lot of snark, they are definitely selling them. I probably know at least 5-6 people that own them that aren't cyclists.

And while the whole thing is comical on a certain level, this whole idea that you have to lose a bunch of weight to improve yourself is kind of lame. Let's be honest, a lot of people that aren't overweight are in shit shape.
I believe that the bolded part of this quote is really the point they were trying to make. However, a bunch of Americans got sensitive and triggered about being fat, and/or how men control women.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
If their marketing department was a little smarter they would have had a reverse video of a wife giving the husband the bike or follow up where the husband gets hooked on the bike too. I think the lack of creativity and strategy in that campaign is my only complaint and how they miss an opportunity to turn the press into something positive.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
as well as the "fit fat" crowd, who drink and eat too much yet still crush me on the climbs. :mad:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think it was lose lose for peloton. You put a fatty on there and suddenly you're fat shaming. You have the woman give the man a bike and the MAGA crowd gets mad. Their best bet may have been to show somebody who didn't really need it get it, use it, and enjoy it without issue. I think she's right- the biggest problem was her terrified expression and some blogger took issue with it which went viral.

As for the power itself, I'm not sure it mattters whether it's accurate or not...as long as it's similar between riders and gives some measurement. In the classes they never say "power", just work and output....and they refer to it only as "keep your output even", or "increase your output", and the only use is competing against other pelotoners. If I ever get serious I'd love to have a power meter set of pedals or something to pop on my bike, but I don't really care that much.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I'm a decent cyclist and I might average 200 watts for an hour at a very hard effort, and I can't do 30 seconds north of 300 watts, using the actual power meter that is installed on my bike (Power2Max). I see those workouts flash across my Strava feed and I just roll my eyes at them.
You are doing it wrong! As the power meter is just on one side you have to double the values you get. ;) :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just sprung for a Peloton. One month trial to see if the wife loves the classes, financed 39 months x 0% because why not take 0% money? If she doesn’t love the whole experience then back it shall go.

Their standard pedals are Look Delta. 3 bolt only. Rather than deal with getting shoes and cleats for that I bought some XT trail SPD pedals instead, as both she (for Spin classes) and I (for my commuter bike) have SPD shoes already.

I think we shall put our Peloton in the basement, for the record. No gorgeous mountain vistas for us regardless of the floor, anyway.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just sprung for a Peloton. One month trial to see if the wife loves the classes, financed 39 months x 0% because why not take 0% money? If she doesn’t love the whole experience then back it shall go.

Their standard pedals are Look Delta. 3 bolt only. Rather than deal with getting shoes and cleats for that I bought some XT trail SPD pedals instead, as both she (for Spin classes) and I (for my commuter bike) have SPD shoes already.

I think we shall put our Peloton in the basement, for the record. No gorgeous mountain vistas for us regardless of the floor, anyway.
I hope you at least commission a tropical hardwood peloton platform.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

I DoN't HaVe SpArE bIkEs JuSt SiTtInG aRoUnD

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I hope you at least commission a tropical hardwood peloton platform.
Right now it's merely making indents in the basement carpet. Perhaps I will buy it a mat if the wife actually decides to use it. She hasn't thus far.

I've used it for two 20 minute beginner rides. One instructor was much more entertaining than the other, as in reality. Then, for kicks, on a scenic ride I decided to crank the resistance up to 75% and see how much Peloton-rated power I can put out in a true sprint. That's nominally just north of 1 kW in their potentially uncalibrated metric.

I can't maintain that for any length, though, but can put 700-800 W down while seated and cranking very hard for maybe 20 seconds. For sustained aerobic or sub-aerobic (zone 2, fat oxidation) efforts far south of that.

/me does not lack in power, just power to weight.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The 4 year old is riding her ladybug toy around the basement while holding up a mirror in front of her, to mimic the aesthetics of the Peloton, for the record.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The wife is putting Peloton planned rides on her calendar for when the baby is due to nap. I think it shall stick around, even sans a fancy platform as it deserves.

Tonight after getting home from my wind ensemble's rehearsal I had the choice of heading straight to bed and electing to bike commute in tomorrow in 28 Freedom Units weather, or head downstairs and sweat indoors.

I elected for 500 m on the rower and a 30 minute Peloton ride, which gives me the mental leeway to drive in tomorrow. I'll probably choose to commute once the weather gets better and my usual non-road bike commute route opens up again (I'm in a bike lane on the shoulder for a good portion of my ride now, which sucks).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just sprung for a Peloton. One month trial [... and if the wife] doesn’t love the whole experience then back it shall go.
It may yet end up going back to the Peloton mothership. Wife says her butt is sore during classes, at least at the start. This is with proper bike shorts (albeit off-brand--maybe some improvement possible there) and a gel seat cover that she decided to add.

Might end up with something like this:

(Also has a 30 day trial...)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That's nominally just north of 1 kW in their potentially uncalibrated metric.

I can't maintain that for any length, though, but can put 700-800 W down while seated and cranking very hard for maybe 20 seconds.
I gave this another shot tonight in the midst of a 30 minute very low average power cool-down-from-day spin.

I maintained 500W for 30 seconds. Probably could have gone 45 seconds. Not sure if I could hold that for a minute.

750W for 15 seconds was ok.

1000W for 10 seconds was very tough but possible. Doing it after these other two brief intervals perhaps made it harder--already depleted my creatine kinase?