Quantcast

Where is my "Lahar"?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
It is still absolutely hideous and Aaron is still a huge piece of S*@T.
Does the rear "triangle" hold up to anything besides a stiff breeze? I know that it is carbon and all and it might be a little thicker than what it looks like in the pics but you have this huge bulge in the front and then these thin seat and chainstays.

I don't care if this revolutionizes mountain biking, I would never give a penny to that prick or buy something that absolutely hideous.

SofaKing

Chimp
Apr 12, 2006
obviously your sense of aesthetics has been somehow damaged. this is like, totally yummy:

interestingly enough, i also own the early version ('88 i think) of that trimble (which i also thought was the coolest thing ever). if nothing else, there's consistency in my tastes, i suppose.

I am sorry but, that thing is uglier then the back side of my nuts.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Does the rear "triangle" hold up to anything besides a stiff breeze?
absolutely. though it doesn't look like it, they're burly & one of the laterally stiffest rear ends i've felt (esp. compared to some of the noodly 4 bar / vpp bikes out these days). the bottom stays flex vertically like a leaf spring (eliminating a rear pivot), and actually negatively pre-load the suspension a bit to give it really supple initial plushness (the bike actually sags a bit under it's own weight). it's a really uniquely designed structure. must have been a pain in the ass to build.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Do Lahar riders ever hit swingarm on rocks or logs?
the lower knuckle does bonk on stuff occasionally (low speed rollovers), but doesn't seem to do anything detrimental (it moves backwards, so doesn't really hang up much). never seems to be a problem going fast, however.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Well, it takes like 2yrs to build it.
alas. actually given the amount of labor that has to go into these things i'm not entirely surprised it wasn't a sustainable gig. unless you can farm the carbon work offshore, it's pretty hard to build complex designs like these cost effectively - dh'ers are only willing to spend so much. now trailbike riders on the other hand (anybody seen the new $12k scott?).

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
alas. actually given the amount of labor that has to go into these things i'm not entirely surprised it wasn't a sustainable gig. unless you can farm the carbon work offshore, it's pretty hard to build complex designs like these cost effectively - dh'ers are only willing to spend so much. now trailbike riders on the other hand (anybody seen the new $12k scott?).
He could farm out a lot of the manufacture to outside sources, but that would be mean giving up a little bit of control of Lahar so that won't ever happen.

Punter

Chimp
May 8, 2006
i love my lahars. they do skids, jump real high and have more gears than all your bikes... remember more is better and carbon is cooler.

then again I also loved my RM9's and my cannondale Super V 4000 with modified dry upside down F1's turned into wetseal.

readin debates on web forums on the other hand is like masturbating, feels alright when you're doing it sometimes but in the end you're only fu*king yourself

merry xmas fukers

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
i love my lahars. they do skids, jump real high and have more gears than all your bikes... remember more is better and carbon is cooler.

then again I also loved my RM9's and my cannondale Super V 4000 with modified dry upside down F1's turned into wetseal.

readin debates on web forums on the other hand is like masturbating, feels alright when you're doing it sometimes but in the end you're only fu*king yourself

merry xmas fukers
Feable atttempt at humour.

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud

merry xmas fukers
The internet has been the biggest innovation in masturbation since opposable thumbs.

(my Feable atttempt at humour)

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
no pics of that bike that got delivered yet eh? maybe in 2 years :) ;)

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
All the white edging on that swingarm is from repeated hits though(I'm fairly certain). I smashed the **** out of mine. I'm sure even steel would look fairly beaten. The swinarm does move backwards with impact to an extent. That one must have taken a fair hit, or a lot of decent ones. My local track has this unavoidable rock I nearly always hit, and mine never broke from it.
They're not just low, but wide also. I want to get a cromo one made with a pivot at the back(Horst link), because I want a shorter swing arm(tight tracks+weak rider), so having it narrower would be a nice bonus.
Nice repair job.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
That's a pretty sweet deal if it's as unused as stated, and with a double barrel. Providing the shocks tuned for it, and actually fits. With a shorter cromo swingarm made for it You'd have a current geo bike, still way ahead. Would need some newer forks though, I'm guessing it'd have a 65-66 headangle with those forks on it. I'd happily buy that if I did have a good bike, and wasn't itching to know how good a Zeroed is.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
interesting. looks like the other one that was sold to vancouver (he had a wb fork on it). could use one for spares.

i didnt think aaron got to even 20 units with this frame...

that wb is an 8" fork. length is pretty typ, so h/a should be the standard numbers (~64* or less).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
wow thread resurrect...

it would be tough to sell one of these with the zerodes coming out in a month or so. You gotta figure only the more hardcore/in the know/rich dudes are going to be interested in something like this, so they're likely to know the backstory too. I dig the all black look though.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hello,

My bike is still for sale.
I'm in Italy and i left the bike in a sears outlet warehouse in New York City.
The price includes shipping and insurance to your address and you will have 10 days of inspection.
If you want to proceed , reply me your full name and shipping address and i will begin the transaction through Sears Outlet.
After that Sears Outlet will contact you with an invoice and a tracking number.
If you need more information feel free to email!

Thanks,
Nicole.
Unobtanium.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
i didnt think aaron got to even 20 units with this frame... Yeah, sub 20 for sure.

that wb is an 8" fork. length is pretty typ, so h/a should be the standard numbers (~64* or less).
Aren't they a short fork to start with(most inverteds are by design), then with the travel reduced I figured they'd be pretty short. I guess it depends if the crowns are slammed or not.

they dont do custom tunes
I thought they did do 3 or more different tunes.

2phass

Chimp
Jul 20, 2002
xy9ine,

Your are correct this was the other bike sold in Vancouver. I am now in Calgary. The WB is factory set to 180mm so the HA and overall height is pretty comparable. I was guessing based on my last discussion with Aaron around 30 units but I guess that was before everything went sideways. This particular bike was 16 or 17 I think.

The bike saw two days at whistler last year ( went down once on A-line) and 4-5 runs on Neds on the N/S. That's it. The bike is not yet broken in. Just don't have the time to ride and now that I am in Calgary with Blackfoot Park 15min away my ride has a 4-stroke 450 motor in it. After a 5 year hiatus I built up my "dream bike" and never road it. The only thing more disappointing is I won't be replacing this bike and my forum lurking days will soon be a thing of the past - too fat and old to keep up.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
someone is scamming w/ your ebay ad. (i enquired & got the same email as sandwich) original:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Lahar-DHV9-Downhill-race-bike-/300518148110#ht_500wt_1156

san diego:

http://sandiego.sandiego6.com/SportsEquipForSale/2700-lahar-dhv9-downhill-race-bike/7424924

kitchener, ontario:

http://kitchener.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/2700-lahar-dhv9-downhill-race-bike/6486600

bastard(s).

edit - here's the scammer email addy: Nicole Gardner <nicoleg94@hotmail.com>

too bad you're unloading the bike. alas, priorities change. this will be my 5th season on mine. still going strong!

Last edited:

2phass

Chimp
Jul 20, 2002
Sandwich,

You talking about that sears BS? That for sure wasn't me. I posted this on E-bay. I was originally asking 6k(included extra monkey lite dh, pedals...etc). I had only one guy who contacted me from Europe and he wasn't prepared for the shipping costs. I re-listed for 5400k specifically for this guy and let him know but he didn't bite so I removed the listing tonight.

I bought this bike prepared to never recoup the investment - last ride/bike. However I anticipated having access to some of the best riding in the world. Now that I have relocated it is unlikely I will be able to get my "fix" even if it is only a couple of times a year. I have been told the only shuttle access is COP which apparently is not quite on the same scale as Whistler or the Shore. For this reason alone I reluctantly sought to see if there was any interest in this bike but apparently not much. I would love to debate what it is worth but the reality is I had a number in mind and wanted to see if it was achievable. If it was I would have packed it up this past weekend and given Brown a call. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it things never materialized and I am ok with it. I will not be re-listing this bike, at least not until I get the chance to check the riding scene in Calgary for myself in the small chance I will get the bug again.

2phass

Chimp
Jul 20, 2002
My bike my pics but that is about it. Sad. I sure nobody gets burnt. This bike has enough history to tarnish its legacy all on its own which is unfortunate as it is probably one of the best kept secrets as well.

P we never did get a chance to hook up but if you make out this way in the summer we can try the 1min runs at COP...definitely worth the trip.:rolleyes: