Quantcast

Where is my "Lahar"?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
That's a bummer. Makes me glad I wasn't tempted because that's a tough situation, but good luck.

ronson

Chimp
Mar 22, 2006
I heard all about the stolen moulds and the finance problems.

I tend to believe Aaron but i honestly don't know what's going on and when I look back i remember the numerous promises and then the excuses/reasons why the delivery will have to be postponed.

Anyway I will keep updating.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Here's my next email:

Hey Damo,

Have called a bunch of times just get engaged tone. Did a drive by yesterday and there were no signs of life. I don't know of anyone that has seen him for the last couple of weeks. Aaron is one of a kind, Genius, fruit cake, stoner........ he told me he was selling his house to get out of Mamaku and into Roto were the action is!

I suspect he is visiting his family in the far north. Don't think he has jumped ship, I think he will turn up soon.

Will keep you posted.
I reckon you'll be fine mate, you'll just have to wait a bit.

And for the record: as much as I like to Lahar-bait, I do actually like his bikes. They ride well and thats enough for me.

Good luck.

2phass

Chimp
Jul 20, 2002
Ronson,

Unfortunately I do not have any new info for you. However, I have been your shoes. It took me over 10 months to get to my lahar from Aaron. I also resorted to getting Punter and rod to give him a little poke in the ribs to get my bike. During the process I did speak with Aaron quite a bit and not always about bike related stuff. He is nice guy for sure he just couldn't plan his way out of a wet paper bag. It is a painful process but like the others have said once in your hands you seem to start healing pretty fast.

There are advantages and disadvantages of buying a frame from a boutique builder. Aaron does good work and I am confident he is not influenced to produce anything sub par. At the same time he is a one man band with little business expertise, and worse, no focus outside of building frames. Pushing Aaron is like shooting pool with a rope!

I am confident you will eventually get your bike. If you consider the time value of money this is not acceptable for sure. This is not the service I or anyone else expected when they entered into this transaction with Aaron. Service is certainly one of the disadvantages, but the advantages are just as transparent you will just have to wait to see them.

Would I buy another bike from Aaron? Probably but I would punch him in the face first to get the frustration out of the way! Anyway welcome to the club and please let us know how you make out. If get the chance I will post some pics to hopefully inspire a little confidence.

Cheers

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Ronson,

Unfortunately I do not have any new info for you. However, I have been your shoes. It took me over 10 months to get to my lahar from Aaron. I also resorted to getting Punter and rod to give him a little poke in the ribs to get my bike. During the process I did speak with Aaron quite a bit and not always about bike related stuff. He is nice guy for sure he just couldn't plan his way out of a wet paper bag. It is a painful process but like the others have said once in your hands you seem to start healing pretty fast.

There are advantages and disadvantages of buying a frame from a boutique builder. Aaron does good work and I am confident he is not influenced to produce anything sub par. At the same time he is a one man band with little business expertise, and worse, no focus outside of building frames. Pushing Aaron is like shooting pool with a rope!

I am confident you will eventually get your bike. If you consider the time value of money this is not acceptable for sure. This is not the service I or anyone else expected when they entered into this transaction with Aaron. Service is certainly one of the disadvantages, but the advantages are just as transparent you will just have to wait to see them.

Would I buy another bike from Aaron? Probably but I would punch him in the face first to get the frustration out of the way! Anyway welcome to the club and please let us know how you make out. If get the chance I will post some pics to hopefully inspire a little confidence.

Cheers
To the original poster - this is about right - Aaron stretches himself waay too thin, but isn't a shark. Doesn't help you when you're out of pocket with no carbon-tastic lahar to ride... but from what little I know, he has every intention of delivering on every order.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
To the original poster - this is about right - Aaron stretches himself waay too thin, but isn't a shark. Doesn't help you when you're out of pocket with no carbon-tastic lahar to ride... but from what little I know, he has every intention of delivering on every order.

well, duh. surely his intention is not bankrupt his operation and screw his customers, but that doesn't mean it can't or won't happen.

I can't believe how casually some people explain the situation as if it's no big deal, just a consequence of doing business with a boutique builder. nonsense, if in fact the guy is putting a lean on his house, or selling it to foot the bill for frame production it's safe to say he's in pretty dire financial straights. The Lahar love fest might need to take off their rose colored glasses. just because he's a 'good guy' doesn't mean he gets away with being cavalier with other people's money for months at a time.

try to justify or rationalize the situation all you want, but he shouldn't be taking deposits for orders he can't fill, nor ask to be paid in full without having anything to deliver. sounds to me like he's using his customers money to bail his business out, not to produce their frames (waiting for parts doesn't sound all that convincing). if that's the case then he's putting the risk on the shoulders of his customers without their agreeing to do so (most likely because he cannot secure the needed credit himself). all the good intentions in the world can't defend the fact that his business practices are seemingly deplorable.

I'm sure i'll get flack for this but i refuse to let the guys character excuse him from his obligation to his customers.

best of luck to you Ronson

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
welcome to the club and please let us know how you make out. If get the chance I will post some pics to hopefully inspire a little confidence.
looking forward to seeing the pics. had much riding time yet? my bikes have been neglected for a while now (due to crap weather). the lahar is currently in many pieces - in the midst of a winter re-fit. stoked to get back on board though.

2phass

Chimp
Jul 20, 2002
General Lee,

I agree with you 100% and it is a big deal especially going into this transaction under premise your are dealing with someone operating a business with the basics fundamental skills and objectives. I was trying to let people know what to expect as IMO this is not the case. Calling Aaron boutique builder is probably pushing it. He is more of a "mad scientist" who sells frames solely to work on the next one and make it that little bit better.

I have talked to Aaron at length about this. He seems to be painfully aware of where his strengths and weaknesses lie and has been trying get a partner to run the business side while he hides out in the back room.

Basically after going through this ordeal and it was an ordeal I think the magnitude of my frustration was in part due to my expectations. Does anyone really expect someone named "tiny" to be a little guy or at least there is no surprise when they turn out to be larger than life. Take 2phass for example... podium material? Not. Aaron is bright guy and expecting him to be bound by the same business principles is at this point unfortunately unrealistic. It is more like lending your weed eater to your neighbor...hope for the best and be prepared for the worst. It is not right, but life is like that sometimes.

Anyway I am not too computer savy and my kids are not home to help but I have attached a couple of pics. Very little time in the saddle due to the local weather but I felt at home right away. Not sure the weight but I am guessing around 41

Lahar mk9
white brothers groove 200 ( factory set to 180mm)
Crane creek with ti spring
Formula oro puro brakes
mavic 521 on fisher carbon hubs with dt revolutions spokes
tubeless mich.
I-fly saddle
easton carbon bars
wellgo mg1

unfortunately having trouble compressing the pics. I guess can find a host and using the img tags with the url but not quite sure how? eventually I hope.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Um Cameron Cole had the bike he won the Jr Worlds on for a fair while before it.He raced it a season over seas I think. It was far from new before that race.
I can't get through to Aaron myself,hope all is well. I have a bike owing also,but I'm disturbed but not really that worried as yet. Worrying won't help.It is worth the wait.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Oh yeah, that was the year before.
Still,it's irrelevant. He obviously didn't have whatever the problem is then. No need to stir **** up for the sake of it,that's also irrelevant.
I had Lahars made for me all last year.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, all you got to do is win the worlds to get your bike on time, no biggie.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i know what aaron goes though. build every bike one off,
takes a lot of time doing it all yourself. longest it ever
took me to build a bike that was paid for was 6 months.
sounds like he is slacking a bit to me.

that and he is in NZ! i have everything i need only 2 day
ups from me.

ronson

Chimp
Mar 22, 2006
Hey Ronson have you wondered how Aaron is having so much trouble supplying you with your frame that you have fully paid for,when he had no problem building an sponsoring a brand new mk9 for a local jnr to ride in at the worlds last year????? hmmmm
And when the very same jnr rider broke his wrist recently he didnt even think to offer/loan that frame to you untill yours was ready?????
Aaron builds what i think maybe the best dh race baike in the world but really the guy has absolutly no idea how you run a business
Well....I never wondered about it ..... but it's irrelevent now.

And I do agree with you that Aaron's business skills are not the best....(which is a good thing, most good business man are total A- holes).

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
Hes not missing! he is in the states, im fairly damn certain.

There will be a Lahar booth at the handmade bike expo in portland oregon on saturday the 9th.

and im sure hell be in his stand.
imm be in washington then, i leave thursday morning, so i may drive down there as well.

i have a mate going, ill ask him to see if hes in his booth

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
Well after reading this the first thing I would do is contact Constable Neil Calder at the Kumeu Police station (0064 9 412 7756) and report him as a missing person.
The Police will have to pay him a visit and if he is not there they will try to track him down.
If he is sick or something you might just save his life.

You can email Neil on:

neil.calder@police.govt.nz

Good luck.

hmmm your name? foesDWlink. and 1 post meaning your new.

new foes DW link :busted:

hehe e spec. . . gotta love it

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Hes not missing! he is in the states, im fairly damn certain.

There will be a Lahar booth at the handmade bike expo in portland oregon on saturday the 9th.

and im sure hell be in his stand.
imm be in washington then, i leave thursday morning, so i may drive down there as well.

i have a mate going, ill ask him to see if hes in his booth
he's not on the list of exhibitors; where'd you hear this?

http://handmadebicycleshow.com/2008/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=26

Kris01

Chimp
Feb 15, 2008
Folks, an update for you all...

I have in my workshop a brand spanking new Lahar M9 being built for a customer.
Its one of the nicest finished frames I've seen to date.

Hopefully, this means there are more in the pipeline for those that are also waiting.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
cool. was it recently delivered direct from aaron or re-sold through someone else? be good to hear he's still building. where are you located?

Kris01

Chimp
Feb 15, 2008
Direct through Aaron, this guy (in NZ) had been waiting since early last year.
I haven't spoken directly to Aaron in a while but I understand that he's on a mission to get all the overdue bikes shipped ASAP & from that point only selling what he's got in stock.

Fingers crossed he can pull through

Punter

Chimp
May 8, 2006
azza was at the wellington Nationals just the weekend gone, so he is about and is still building. no doubt pretty soon this will all be over and everyone will be hussin their lahars. hot

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
good to hear.

hey - i'm installing new bearings (h/s & bb); what do you use to seat them? aaron mentioned araldite, but we don't have the stuff here. what's the generic description? looks like it's an epoxy of some type.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
good to hear.

hey - i'm installing new bearings (h/s & bb); what do you use to seat them? aaron mentioned araldite, but we don't have the stuff here. what's the generic description? looks like it's an epoxy of some type.
Araldite is 10 minute epoxy.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
I haven't spoken directly to Aaron in a while but I understand that he's on a mission to get all the overdue bikes shipped ASAP & from that point only selling what he's got in stock.
That would suggest one of two things;

1. He has stock presently that could be sold.

or

2. He intends to build a stock supply.

If its one, why wouldn't he use existing stock to satisfy customer demand?

If its two, I feel sorry for whoever his backer is....more money down the drain.

Or, I completely misunderstood what you were saying - feel free to correct me.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
That would suggest one of two things;

1. He has stock presently that could be sold.

or

2. He intends to build a stock supply.

If its one, why wouldn't he use existing stock to satisfy customer demand?

If its two, I feel sorry for whoever his backer is....more money down the drain.

Or, I completely misunderstood what you were saying - feel free to correct me.
It means he is building all outstanding orders then building up some stock.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Araldite is 10 minute epoxy.
It was part of ciba geigy. They do make some quick cheap stuff, but they also make a whole line of high quality two part industial epoxies. I think you will find that a quick cure epoxy will end up being too brittle and crack if there is ANY pooling.

XY, what color is it...dark grey/black? If so, it is a high quality laminating epoxy adhesive used a lot in the bike (and ski) industry to glue carbon tubing....

In similar situations (structural ski and snowboard repairs), I have had great luck with slow cure, semi-flexable marine epoxies (shoud be able to find some close... You can mix in some adjuncts also to add 'toughness' and thickness if desired. I have used micro glass spheres (made for this purpose), or powdered graphite (from a pencil)a fair bit with good luck...forms a semi-composite.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
yeah, looks black. i was just going to get some common stuff from the hardware ie:

http://www.lepageproducts.com/products/detail.asp?catid=21&subid=54&plid=277

would this not do the trick? the bearing cups are in good shape (ie, no gaps to fill) and a snug fit as it is; i can't imagine it needs much to keep things tight.
In my experience, the quicker the hardening, the more brittle the epoxy....but if it is just being used in a thin film between two tight fitting parts it should not be a big deal.