Quantcast

Where to get wood

Tully said:
Does anybody know where I can get some free/cheap, decent-quality lumber to build stunts? Thanks a lot.
tully, my recomendation is to use fallen logs and do it from nature.....(if building in some one elses land) If its your own land, then use pallets from anywhere and go to a construction site during their working hours and ask if they have scraps you can hve( outta the dumpster) if its not your land and you use alot of lumber( i.e. 2x4, 2.6 or what ever) it will get torn out faster..which as we all know is no good.....and what ever you do...MAKE IT STURY!!!! over build everything... ;) hopefully that helps and I dont sound like a ass! :D Im not trying to do that... :thumb: and then let me know when your done so I can ride the trail :D hehehe ;) :evil:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Huh huh huh he asked where to get "wood".

Try Hustler.

Scrap wood from construction is the best. Just go up to a job shack on the site, ask for the Superintendant, and ask if you can take some from the dumpster or a stack that has yet to be thrown in the dumpster. Most of the time they would be stoked for you to take it because then they don't have to pay as much dump fee for it. Have a hard hat, gloves, and safetly glasses and you might be able to load up right then and there. Just don't go and steal anything, because us construction workers always look for a valid excuse to use our hammers on people.
"most" palate wood is crap though, expect it to not last long. Also fork over some cash and buy some from Home Depot and don't use treated lumber and put by streams and crap, since it's treated is laced with arsenic, and besides it's expensive anyways.
You can get lower grade 1X4 lumber for fairly cheap to use as "tracks" on bridges, it's stronger and will last longer than most pallate boards.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Thanks a lot for the suggestions--there's a construction site pretty close to my house, so it shouldn't be hard. My next question: How do you support the stunts that you want to be a few feet above the ground? What keeps above-ground woodwork stable?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Tully said:
Thanks a lot for the suggestions--there's a construction site pretty close to my house, so it shouldn't be hard. My next question: How do you support the stunts that you want to be a few feet above the ground? What keeps above-ground woodwork stable?
Do you even own a hammer? *slaps forehead* :D

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Skookum said:
Do you even own a hammer? *slaps forehead* :D
I sure do. What I meant by "What holds it together?" is "How should you construct the supports and bracing so that it is strong and durable?"

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Tully said:
I sure do. What I meant by "What holds it together?" is "How should you construct the supports and bracing so that it is strong and durable?"
You need support beams.....

Support beams need to be at least a foot in the ground.
Some quickcrete can go a long way to keeping it there and prevent rotting, but not real necessary in most cases. Just dig a hole then fill back in with rocks whether your back fill is quickcrete or just dirt.....
Use at least a 4X4 for a beam.
Use 16 penny nails (sinkers) to nail all "support" boards.
When you hammer give the tip of the nails a few light taps with the hammer if you're having problems with wood splitting.
If you have dual support beams you can nail 1X4's across both beams in an X pattern to help support each beam.
If you use smaller boards nailed together for beams or for long spans use a technique called "sistering" which means STAGGER the end seams in the span (using two boards side my side nailed together). So in other words don't have the ends of the boards match up, it'll be weak at that point.
There are different ways of making sturdy structures, just make sure you stack your boards correctly where the force is being put correctly down on the beam. Basic carpentry takes common sense first and foremost.
Buy some books maybe on deck building from Home Depot maybe there are some pointers in there that may make life easier on you.....

Now go away and leave me alone..... :p

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Bibs, this isnt canada. Most the wood laying around is rotting away and doesnt make good building material, unlike all the downed cedar up on the shore.....Aslo make sure you never cut down live trees to make your stunts. That will get you shut down faster than building material.