• Norco VPS Shore

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
Brodie Devo

really nice bike exelent spec however I belive you are limited to a 24inch rear wheel which when it comes time to replace the tire or rim you are a bit on the limited side (very much so in rim choice) I havent actualy seen one in person so I have never ridden it ir talke to a owner of one so my oipnion of this bike is based off of spec and frame design..

Rocky Mountain RM7FR

Ive herad bad stuff bout this bike. first off the leverage ratio is 4:1 (4 inches of wheel travel for every one inch of shock stroke) that high ratio restricts the level of ajustability. any change in shock ajustment is amplified by the linkage so for compareison a average leverage ratio for bikes of this travel range is 3:1, the 4:1 ratio of the RM is 25% more senseitive to any ajustments made to the shock and therefore there is a less percise range for you to to find the "feel" you want. the lower the leverage ratio the finer you can tune your suspention. also this high ratio amplifies the force at the rear wheel 4x at the shock (100lbs of force on the rear wheel= 400lbs of force on the shock)
so as a result RMs are know for blowing shocks. (and I think once again 24inch wheel only)

Norco VPS Shore
Ok one the bike is made in Tiwan not canada.<not a big deal
But this is a great bike the travel is ajustable up to 6.1 inches and there is a monster-T option if you want to do some big hucks but the super-T is also a top notch fork. the monocoue (sp) constuction make the bike creak and moan while pedaling hard or landing hard of a drop/jump ect.

another super value in your price range is the giant DHcomp 8.25 inchs of travel super-T 8 inch hayes, RF shimano driveline. the only issue I have heard have been leaky rear shocks (a rockshock rear shock trait) and the linkage bolts needing to be loc-tighted before the first ride. many monkeys own DH comps: Danm true,Giant DHrider, james@giant has a team DH but he is a encyclopedia of info on the DH comp.

Jul 4, 2002
Vancouver, Canada Eh!
Dirt Rider summed it up pretty well.

Norco and Giant have great warranty service as they both have warehouses and service centers in Van (something to think about if you break something) I got a new swing arm for my Giant in 2 days.

DEMON

Chimp
Sep 20, 2001
maple ridge b.c.
i would go for the norco , they have improved 1000% over the last couple of seasons and have lots in store for 03:D

the rm7 is a nice bike and is handbuilt in bc , they seem to ride and track nice , but they also have a very high ratio , and in return you need to run a very high spring rate .

the devo is bascially a catalog frame , the craftworks is the same frame ( dhr208) , the ones i saw had 24s on the back but look like they would fit a 26

the giant as some mentioned is a great bike , but you cannot run a frt derailuer ( unless you rig up a e-type ) so i would say it is more dh related unless you don,t mind running a single sprocket .

DEMON

Chimp
Sep 20, 2001
maple ridge b.c.
Originally posted by Dirt rider

Do they still sound like the frame is cracked all the time?
what do you mean ???? i know the mono can be nosiey but they are quieter than before , i would say the m1 is nosier .

the new design has a rad downtube with a mono toptube , similiar to the old uzzi dh , the seatmast area is 4 tubes , instead of one piece , there was a image of the new design on the dh/ds forum , it was posted a couple of months back.

C

crazybastard

I would recommend for you to go with the big hit its bomb proof and you can upgrade the travel to 10 inches