Quantcast

Which camera?

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
Ok guys, I'm sure this thread has gone around before, but I did a search and can't find what I'm looking for, so here goes...
What camera is everyone using on the trail? I'm in the market for a new camera, a small point and shoot type, to use taking photos on the trail. I want to spend no more than $300 and it needs to take good non-blurry action shots quickly. Non of this "thinking" in between that my current Olympus does and then misses the shot or takes a blurry unrecognizable shot.
I'm currently looking at the Sony Cybershot or the Canon Powershot, but will look at other recommendations.
Thanks for the help!

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
I have a really old Cybershot and it still works really well.

Check out the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3... my friend has one and he absolutely loves it.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
not sure how much these are running...but they're great cameras.

http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/cameras/digital-cameras/8-10-megapixel/canon/PRD_385823_6446crx.aspx?TabID=2

I have an older version similar to this, and it takes pretty good shots. Most P&S cameras will have shutter delay though *unless your buying a super nice one* and especially when compared to a digital SLR camera. But its something you can usually learn to use (press the button a little sooner). Thats what I did anyhow...but now I have a digital SLR, and I couldnt be any happier with the shots I get.

Example of Digital SLR picture from a Canon XTi with Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens.

Example of P&S picture from a Canon A95.

the small pictures dont justify very well. But the P&S picture has a little blur on the rider (me) around the face, body, ect. And the dSLR camera has no blur, and the rider in focus and well lit. But for a P&S trail camera I suggest the powershot A670, the guy who wrote that review is a well known mtb photographer around here.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
newegg had some canon on sale for nice price, but i think it was only the A630, we have an A610 and like it alot but i haven't tried the action shots much...just kid shots!

Neal

Chimp
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
I had a crappy experience with Newegg for delivery. Now I think of them as 'slowegg'. Amazon has good deals + quicker turnaround.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Amazon = tax = more money = long day at work = no fun.

Its all a big equation.
BHphoto.com is great. Super low prices, and fast delivery.

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
It's taken thousands of photos over the past year. It has a good "sport" mode that allows no lag when taking action shots. It has a massive screen so you just look at the screen and take the pic as you see it instantaneously. It's super small so I like it for riding as well. I like it a lot. It also has a great movie mode that can take up to 80 minutes of movies.
Good luck!
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=7103&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=10438

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
I have a Canon SD700IS and while I love it, repeat shooting is pretty slow. Can't get those cool start to finish jump frames. Great camera besides that though, and it's TINY.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Camera manufactures dont license the lens technology.
If you buy a Canon, than get a Canon lens. Also dont buy a $500+ body and put a entry level lens on it.
I'm not real sure what you're trying to say here. A $500 body is about as entry level as you can get any lens that could be considered other than entry level will cost at least 75% as much as the camera body itself.

Camera manufacturers may not license lens technology, but there's nothing wrong with Tamron, Sigma or Tokina lenses, as long as you aren't buying the bargain basement model. Anymore the only thing you'd be missing with a third party lens is image stabilization.