Quantcast

Which DH fork?

B

bighitfsr

I'm after a fork to replace my 01 xvert carbon (on its last legs with badly worn stanchions).

I ride mainly DH, with some techy north shore style stunts and some longer rides as well.
I want a fork which will handle drops to transitions up to 10ft.
The fork is going on a bighit with a custom 9 inch linkage and avy DHS3 shock.

I've narrowed down my choices to:

Dorado DH
Dorado XWorks
8" 888R with risse crowns
Sherman Slider Plus
Avy DHF8Ti
Avy DHF8
Mojo'ed Boxxer Race
White Brothers DH2.0

I'm also considering holding off my fork purchase until the Fox DH fork and the 05 boxxers are released.
Ideally I want an 8 inch fork as my Avy rear shock way outperforms my current 7 inch fork and I want a more balanced setup.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
i would say that your most important concern is getting a reasonable geometry. all of those forks will hold up (10 to TRANNY not flat).

those custom plates really screw with your angles. i would guess you need something either really short (slider+) or something really tall (888). probably the tall one seeing as you added more travel.

you will probably end up with a stupid-high bb too. oh well.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
well ive got a WB DH 2.0 and i love the thing, it can take huge drops and not bottom as it has a very high amount of bottom out and spring rate adjustibility.

Both Dorados arnt going to be available until Mid-End July

Ive ridden a Slider and liked it, so id say if ya dont get a white go for the slider

zstyle_22

Monkey
Jan 1, 2004
Centennial, Colorado
I have the new dorado x-werks and it is freaking sweet! Manitou is having a hard time keeping up with it's demand, so I would go with the slider plus. All my friends have them and love em.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
I say wb dh2.0. I was extremely impressed with the one I rode, very, very smooth, and the quality of construction is amazing. Plus, the guys (and gals) over at eko sport could teach classes on customer service. Very friendly and professional.

If i were gonna buy a dh fork right now, it would be a dh2.0.

B

bighitfsr

"those custom plates really screw with your angles. i would guess you need something either really short (slider+) or something really tall (888)."

This is not the case.
With the linkage installed my BB height is around 14" and the head angle is about 66.5 deg.
Geometery wise a fork thats slightly taller than my 01 xvert carbon would be ideal (slightly higher BB and slightly slacker head angle).

I figure an 888 is going to be a better choice than a shiver (stiffer, lighter and better damping). The shivers probably not quite as tall as the 888 but the risse crowns will fix that.

ViolentVolante,
How do the DH2 and Slider plus compare?

Any more info on the Avy forks.
Would the DHF8ti or standard DHF8 be more suitable?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
you should get a monster T for doing big hucks, plus if you get a steel hardtail you can use it for either bike.

Seriously though if you want a plush ride and stiffness to the max why not consider a monster t? It seems like they cost about the same or less than the other forks you're looking at.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
Originally posted by bighitfsr

I want a fork which will handle drops to transitions up to 10ft.
well if thats the case you probly dont want the avy dhf ti because i thought it was made for like racing only or something and no freeriding at all. dont ask me why but i heard someone say that.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
stay far FAR away from an xworks. The internals are utter crap. So far no one has had one that works properly and alot of riders are going back to their older dorados (or wishing they could).

This includes technitians i know at the Canadian manitou distributor. Manitou has told them that new internals and a few fixes are a few weeks out.

Oh btw these fixes, WILL involves drilling out certain parts of the dampers.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth

ViolentVolante,
How do the DH2 and Slider plus compare?

Well for one theyre both nice and stiff. The Slider has SPV and it lets you adjust bottom out and spring rate using air. The white bros lets you adjust spring rate using spacers, and there is a very large range of bottom out and rate of progressiveness control with some work on the spring stack. The damping is very good on the 2.0, better than a few 888s ive felt, every turn of my reb or comp knobs really makes you feel a difference in the damping. As for the slider, the adjustments work well, but u thought the damping on the 2.0 was better, but it is also a much more expensive fork. Also keep in mind that the 2.0 is 8in travel and the slider is 7

Don

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I'd get a Marzocchi and forget about it! I have a Shiver that has been awesome with 190mm travel. totally plush, bottomless and worry free. I have a Super T and it has been sweet as well. I've not ridden the 888 extensively but that will probably be my next fork whenever that might be. For now, I am very happy with what I already have and these forks just take a beating and ask for more. I like the Monsters but they are HEAVY!

Oct 14, 2001
Colchester, Ct

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
hm all of the sudden the avy isnt so expensive anymore if you compare with the dorado, the 888r with GR-or risse crowns or the WB2.0 which are all within 100-200 usd. interesting evolution really....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by vitox
hm all of the sudden the avy isnt so expensive anymore if you compare with the dorado, the 888r with GR-or risse crowns or the WB2.0 which are all within 100-200 usd. interesting evolution really....
um, with the risse crowns, an 888 is still about $600 cheaper...that's a big chunk of money to me.

But I agree, with $1800 dorados...I don't see any point in spending the money there, when you can get an avalanche for the same price.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
In my completely unbiased opinion, you should buy the Slider +... which I conveniently have for sale cheap.

Actually I do like it. I got one (2 by mistake) when the X-Works was not available and I may just stick with it since it does what I want.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by Transcend
stay far FAR away from an xworks. The internals are utter crap. So far no one has had one that works properly and alot of riders are going back to their older dorados (or wishing they could).

This includes technitians i know at the Canadian manitou distributor. Manitou has told them that new internals and a few fixes are a few weeks out.

Oh btw these fixes, WILL involves drilling out certain parts of the dampers.
so is Manitou issuing a recall or something??....D

B

bighitfsr

FYI I'm about 180lbs with gear and as I mentioned before intend on hitting drops/gaps up to 10ft and only to decent trannys.
When I say max 10ft drops I'm describing the biggest drop I've ever hit. I wouldnt be hitting any drops bigger than 8ft on regular basis.

I dont feel that my weight or riding style warrants a monsterT.
I would be carring 3lbs more fork than any of the other forks I've mentioned.

Thanks for your post Craig I was not aware that you offered:

DHF8:FreeRide Ti spring and single damper
Set-up - Freeriding, med drops
Weight range - 125-185 lbs
Cost - $1495

This is ideal as spending $1795 on the dual damper DHF8 is the absolute limmit of what I'm willing to spend. Before reading about the new DHF models I felt that the DHF8Ti Race would be ideal but I was scared off by the racing only warnings and strict weight limmit.

I'm willing to drop $1495 on an Avy DHF8TiFR.
Do you monkeys think its a suitable choice for the riding I've described?
If so I think I've found my new fork.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
FYI I'm about 180lbs with gear and as I mentioned before intend on hitting drops/gaps up to 10ft and only to decent trannys.
When I say max 10ft drops I'm describing the biggest drop I've ever hit. I wouldnt be hitting any drops bigger than 8ft on regular basis.

I dont feel that my weight or riding style warrants a monsterT.
I would be carring 3lbs more fork than any of the other forks I've mentioned.

Thanks for your post Craig I was not aware that you offered:

DHF8:FreeRide Ti spring and single damper
Set-up - Freeriding, med drops
Weight range - 125-185 lbs
Cost - $1495

This is ideal as spending $1795 on the dual damper DHF8 is the absolute limmit of what I'm willing to spend. Before reading about the new DHF models I felt that the DHF8Ti Race would be ideal but I was scared off by the racing only warnings and strict weight limmit.

I'm willing to drop $1495 on an Avy DHF8TiFR.
Do you monkeys think its a suitable choice for the riding I've described?
If so I think I've found my new fork.
I have to wonder about the difference in ride compared to the regular DHF8 with the twin cartridges. For that kind of coin, I'd want to be DAMN SURE that it did what it was supposed to. 1800 isn't really that much more than 1500, and I wouldn't want to get something that didn't live up to the DHF8-twincart as far as performance.

B

bighitfsr

"I have to wonder about the difference in ride compared to the regular DHF8 with the twin cartridges. For that kind of coin, I'd want to be DAMN SURE that it did what it was supposed to. 1800 isn't really that much more than 1500, and I wouldn't want to get something that didn't live up to the DHF8-twincart as far as performance."

I've got too much on this arvo to post another thread but this is exactly what I need to know before making a decision.
I've also emailed Craig asking what he reccomends for my weight and riding style.

It really depends on what Craigs idea of a medium sized drop is.
To me 10ft is a medium sized drop and 15ft+ is a big drop.

I do not consider myself a hucker and the next model up from the DHF8ti FR is intended for hucking. I feel that the riding I do is much closer to DH racing than hucking.

I'm currently running an 01 xvert carbon which is pretty much the lightest (weakest) DH fork around and I've been happy with the performance of that for the riding I'm doing (its just being retired now due to badly worn stanchions).

I'm within the weight range for the single sided DHF forks.
I'm 160lbs or 176lbs with a dianese safety jacket, hydro pack and full face.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
Bighitfsr

I will sell you my 2004 WhiteBros DH 2.0 with custom internal valving and i will custom build a spring stack for your weight as well. i live in illinois so you know the thing hasnt been ridden hard. email me at rfxr@sbcglobal.net if interested
damn man, you go thru bike stuff quick! What are you replacing it with?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i think he's getting the new karpiel fork, but when he gets it the fork will be too short, and he'll have to order aftermarket hi-rider crowns from Stratos.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Originally posted by Jm_
um, with the risse crowns, an 888 is still about $600 cheaper...that's a big chunk of money to me.

But I agree, with $1800 dorados...I don't see any point in spending the money there, when you can get an avalanche for the same price.
its a usd200 difference

1495-1150-150 = 195

but you get a stem with the marzo.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I recently got a Slider+ and like it a lot so far. I haven't done anything big with it yet, but it rocked at the US Open. I'm going to ride it some more to make sure it's what I want and probably sell my Dorado.

The new Fox fork is awesome from what I heard from Marla and Lisa Streb this weekend. Lisa was raving about it. I'm sure I'll get my questions answered at Snowshoe; assuming the Fox guys will be there again. That may be my next fork.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Bighitfsr

I will sell you my 2004 WhiteBros DH 2.0 with custom internal valving and i will custom build a spring stack for your weight as well. i live in illinois so you know the thing hasnt been ridden hard. email me at rfxr@sbcglobal.net if interested
Oh, "buy the WB it's the best, want to buy mine". You just realized how much you can get an avy for and want that.........come on, admit it.:D

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Bighitfsr

Can I get some eggs with that SPAM!!!!! I thought you loved that fork, we going for the new fork of the week now?

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
You may as well hold weekly RM lotto for "used" parts. Has the WB even been off road?