Quantcast

Which dhx air shock for my Heckler?

magnus

Chimp
Jun 5, 2006
I want to get a fox dhx air shock for my Heckler. I'm hoping to find a deal online, but want to make sure I get the right thing. What size should I get to fit my XL Heckler?

Thanks! magnus

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
7.875" x 2" for 5" travel or x 2.25" for 5.6". If you can, look for one that has a small volume air canister on it. SC doesn't recommend the larger canisters on the Heckler.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
FWIW, DHX air does not come in a 7.875x2", only 2.25". Also you can mount an RP3 air can from the same size shock for a more progressive feel, or so I've been told.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
According to Fox web site, there seems to be a 7.875" x 2.0" available.... not sure whether it is for OEM or aftermarket.

-pdawg

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
pdawg said:
According to Fox web site, there seems to be a 7.875" x 2.0" available.... not sure whether it is for OEM or aftermarket.

-pdawg
They wouldn't list that size if it was an OEM only size. I had my LBS look into it for me and 2" stroke was an option for the air but not the coil version.

I recently picked up a small volume Float R for my Heckler. I'll send it to www.pushindustries.com soon. Gonna be sweet.

b-Rad

Chimp
Feb 7, 2005
Go with the 2.25" stroke... the extra 1/2" of travel feels night and day difference. If your frame is not a 2006, the shock may not fit. I ordered a DHX air for my 2005 Heckler Large frame and it would not fit. Santa Cruz has made modifications to the new frames to comply with the larger diameter cannister on the DHX air shock.

Santa Cruz offered me a no fault replacement front triangle for $200, which I got since my old frame had some nics and dings. The newer mount tabs (located on the bottom of the top-tube) are about 1/4" longer than previous. Otherwise it looks identical to the older one.

Some of the first production runs for 2006 had an indentation on the tube to make room for the shock, but the design has since been revised.

*RP3's fit with no problems, but only offered with 2" stroke.