Quantcast

Which fork to get?

zibbler

Monkey
I posted this over in the lounge too, but thought I might get some good advice from this forum as well.

Okay, now that I work at a bike shop, I can get some killer discounts. I was originally looking into getting the Fox Vanilla 125R, which I can get for $350.00 retail from another shop (we don't carry Fox), or I can get the 2003 Zoke Z1 Freeride for about $340.00 from our shop after discount. Which fork would be better? Keep in mind this is going on a Superlight. I can't afford a beefier bike right now, so I figured I'll just beef mine up a bit in the meantime.

I think I'm still leaning towards the Vanilla. The mechanic said the Vanilla is way easier to work on than the Z1, and everyone I know that has a Fox fork says they're fantastic.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by zibbler
I posted this over in the lounge too, but thought I might get some good advice from this forum as well.

Okay, now that I work at a bike shop, I can get some killer discounts. I was originally looking into getting the Fox Vanilla 125R, which I can get for $350.00 retail from another shop (we don't carry Fox), or I can get the 2003 Zoke Z1 Freeride for about $340.00 from our shop after discount. Which fork would be better? Keep in mind this is going on a Superlight. I can't afford a beefier bike right now, so I figured I'll just beef mine up a bit in the meantime.

I think I'm still leaning towards the Vanilla. The mechanic said the Vanilla is way easier to work on than the Z1, and everyone I know that has a Fox fork says they're fantastic.
I know this is personal but... HOw much do you weigh?

If you are 150 or less, I'd get a FLOAT, not a Vanilla.
You only need a vanilla if you are going to mangle the float.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by zibbler
I weigh about 135, but I've been getting into more jumping and drops, so I want a beefier fork.
The FLOAT can handle the small drops and jumps you are doing.
Save the $$$.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
For the superlight, I agree. Get a Float R, or if you DO get the vanilla run it at 100mm.

The Z1 is too long for it. It'll mess up your geometry, your BB height, and is a lot of leverage for that headtube.

The Float is PLENTY of fork. Even for drops and DJs. Lots of people use them for DS racing at all levels, and the chassis is the same as the Vanilla, so you definitely don't have to worry about it.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Originally posted by Rev.Chuck
The Fox is really nice but, I gotta say, a Z1 is very easy to work on.
The only thing you can actually work on without voiding the warranty fox gives is change the oil and change the travel. Anthing that involves dissasembly of the cartridge or removal of the lowers from the stantions will void the warranty. Also fox=std dropouts, if that is an issue or will be in the future steer clear of fox.