Quantcast

which helmet and protection gear do you like best?

dearkiley

Chimp
Jan 23, 2012
Hey Guys,

I'm doing some research for Vans PRO-TEC line and was hoping to get your impression on the design and quality of their products.

- What sport do you use your helmet & protection gear for?

-Do any of you currently own or use PRO-TEC helmets or Gear? If not what do you currently use or recommend and why?

-What is your impression of the style and quality of PRO-TEC products?

-What color/style/material/cost do you typically look for when buying new helmets and pads?

Please feel free to leave any additional comments.
Thanks!

Gibby403

Chimp
Aug 27, 2011
don't got to cheap a on skid lid. The new Protec is good. Bell is good. But if you think you are going to bail on hard concrete or hard dirt, be the cool kid a get a Full Face Bell Helmet from XSportsProtective. My forty year old ass gets protected from head to toe now a days. Helps soften the blow. Because you still fall

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
allllllright. I know its spammy, but I'll bite because I like pro-tec product..... but just to for my own conscience:
http://onlinebusiness.about.com/od/gettingtrafficmarketing/tp/forum-marketing.htm

I'm about to be on my fourth protec helmet that I can recall. I just had the Ace/doyle one and split it open while concussing myself on that spined out cement lip at Catty during the haloween jam. but it did as it should, it broke instead of my head (i'll be buying a similar replacement). My previous products were classic helmets, I wanted to check out the new foam in the ace.

product usage - bmx/trails/stink-bomb

which brings me to my one suggestion, at least for trail riders: make your helmets washable, please. mid summer, after 2-3 days of riding, my helmet smells like rotting corpse anus. I run it under a hose - no dent in said corpse-anus-odor. And the washing machine brings cleaning success, but at the cost of the lining of the soft pads which velcro into the helmet for fit.

best of luck trolling helmet using discussion boards, I'm sure you will be catching a lot of flack.

dearkiley

Chimp
Jan 23, 2012
allllllright. I know its spammy, but I'll bite because I like pro-tec product..... but just to for my own conscience:
http://onlinebusiness.about.com/od/gettingtrafficmarketing/tp/forum-marketing.htm

I'm about to be on my fourth protec helmet that I can recall. I just had the Ace/doyle one and split it open while concussing myself on that spined out cement lip at Catty during the haloween jam. but it did as it should, it broke instead of my head (i'll be buying a similar replacement). My previous products were classic helmets, I wanted to check out the new foam in the ace.

product usage - bmx/trails/stink-bomb

which brings me to my one suggestion, at least for trail riders: make your helmets washable, please. mid summer, after 2-3 days of riding, my helmet smells like rotting corpse anus. I run it under a hose - no dent in said corpse-anus-odor. And the washing machine brings cleaning success, but at the cost of the lining of the soft pads which velcro into the helmet for fit.

best of luck trolling helmet using discussion boards, I'm sure you will be catching a lot of flack.

thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I've had a few Pro-Tec skate lids, and one kayak helmet. They were comfortable, if not as breathable as my other helmets. The pads seem to be the first thing to go, so replaceable/ washable liners would be great. Nice to see you're doing a little more technical fit systems, now, too.
I'd buy another kayak helmet, if I could find them anywhere. Seems all the shops around here stock everything but Pro-Tec. And now that I think about it, I'm not seeing the helmets at bike or snowboard shops as much, either.

Last edited:

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I wear a nerdy giro road helmet for road biking, and a nerdy pro-tec ace skate helmet for skating, dirt jumping etc. It was perfect until someone stole it. Now I only have a nerdy giro road helmet.

I am basically unimpressed with helmets in general, they offer a whole lot of different marketing styles, colorways etc. But the actual helmets are all cheap disposable products that usually kind of suck to be honest. If helmets were made more with fit, quality, and serviceability in mind, I wouldn't feel so bad shelling out dough for them. Also, the more they come down over the ears the better.

Last edited:

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
Bern's "hard hat" is the best brain bucket around. The biggest problem with helmets currently is federal law mandating a single use foam based on old research. Bern "hard hats" not only work impact after impact, they fit better, and my head hurts less after an impact. Compared to a single use foam helmet which provides little absorption unless you hit hard enough to break it. They get around the law by selling it as a "hard hat" with a warning that it doesn't classify as a helmet by federal law.

They also conform to your head better since it's not a rigid piece with wimpy foam pads for fitment.

Aug 23, 2011
POC for me, have used the protecs..never had a problem with them but never owned for a long time or wore it alot. POC is $ but I am ok with paying for quailty.