Quantcast

which tablet?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
so... My 8 y.o. laptop is struggling mightily these days for simple things like playing videos on pinkbike and surfing on youtube.

I think I'd like to get a tablet to replace it, since I have a laptop at work.

I really started thinking about tablets while I was traveling this winter, with all the entertainment systems on planes requiring your own devices.

I'd use it mostly to surf teh :monkey:, watch videos on pinkbike and youtube, and maybe download a show or two off of Netflix to watch while traveling. I don't think I need or want a giant screen, but I'd like to "future-proof" my purchase (in as much as that's possible these days). I also have a subscription to a couple of on-line newspapers. I feel like the layout for reading those might be better on a tablet.

But I wonder... for the money, would I be better off with a chromebook? They seem to offer better specs. I'm not all that tied to touch screens... Laptops have been fine for me for the past decade or more...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I don't have much input other than if you will be using it "offline" a Chromebook might not be the best option. A lot of its services rely on an active internet connection. And ones I've seen don't have much local storage. But if you have access to wifi who cares...

My sole computer at home now is a Chrome device. Its great for Netflix, youtubez, boobtubez, PinkBike and RedBull.tv.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
IMO tablets are the worst fad of this decade. Get something with a real keyboard and mouse/touch pad. If you won't need to have any office work done on it or edit pictures or videos, a Chromebook is probably a safe bet.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
IMO tablets are the worst fad of this decade. Get something with a real keyboard and mouse/touch pad. If you won't need to have any office work done on it or edit pictures or videos, a Chromebook is probably a safe bet.
This.

I got a 2 in 1 a few years ago. Other than the novelty during the first week or so with it I never use it in tablet mode. What is nice is that it is thin lightweight and easy to travel with.

The only advantage I can see with a tablet is the ability to put it in a protective case if you are a klutz or have dumb kids.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We got a Fire for Haley a few years ago and it's pretty sufficient if you are only using it as a browser interface, email access point, tv interface. It has not real computing power, but as an interface it's fine.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
The only advantage I can see with a tablet is the ability to put it in a protective case if you are a klutz or have dumb kids.
Tablets are definitely convenient for traveling with kids. Our ipad with protective kid case has taken a lot of abuse over the last couple years and keeps on kicking.

I recent got a Fire 8 for myself for traveling and I like it. Works well for surfing the webs/:monkey: along with running apps like games or Hulu & Netflix. I don't do any work while traveling so I don't need anything with major computing power.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I don't get the appeal of tablets at all and don't really like Chromebooks for travelling precisely because travel is when you cannot guarantee having a consistent internet connection. I've really grown to like my girlfriend's 2 in 1 acer Spin 1 since it's nice and compact, sturdy and functions as its own tablet stand when watching videos on the train. I usually don't use it in tablet mode apart from that, but it works well enough. It's not super quick, but more than capable enough for what you describe and much better value than many tablets.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Horses for courses.

I have an ipad air and a macbook pro and I think I use the ipad 75% of the time.
The Macbook is mostly for work/admin stuff these days just cause typing is a lot easier.

But for browsing and netflix I love how conveniant the ipad is.
The battery lasts forever, its lighter, less bulky and faster.
Touch screen is super easy on the go and now that I can download movies from netflix on it its pretty much perfect most of the time.

I know apple sucks as a company and its overpriced but for me the os is most intuative and it just always works super easy.

But, like i said...

Horses for courses.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think most Chromebooks feel like chintzy pieces of shit. I like my 2016-revision iPad for lazing around the house, YouTube, Ridemonkey, etc. Only complaint is that the screen isn't really oleophobic at all, as claimed.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I don't have much input other than if you will be using it "offline" a Chromebook might not be the best option. A lot of its services rely on an active internet connection. And ones I've seen don't have much local storage. But if you have access to wifi who cares...

My sole computer at home now is a Chrome device. Its great for Netflix, youtubez, boobtubez, PinkBike and RedBull.tv.
You can install Ubuntu on chromebooks in dev mode, works fine and takes care of the offline concern. I can run Ubuntu in one of the tabs and performance is decent enough.

https://www.howtogeek.com/162120/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-your-chromebook-with-crouton/

edit: The only thing I have installed on Ubuntu in ChromeOS is LibreOffice (for offline full featured office), Opera (for built-in free VPN, though I do have a Chrome plugin for VPN via another provider too), and Firefox (for the more powerful/useful extensions than are available on Chrome). The chromebook is not a primary machine but occasionally both my wife and I use it - I use Ubuntu on it, but rarely need to.

Last edited:

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
I have a "Free" Galaxy tab E i got during a promotion that i use around the house more than i do my phone or desktop and laptop. At home, i use it on WIFI but it also has 4G LTE capabilities and will run using my data plan. If I'm traveling out of town for small periods of time, less than i week, i just use the tablet as its easier and lighter to lug around than my laptop. You can always get a keyboard portfolio case if the on screen keyboard is a pain.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I really enjoyed the Nexus 7, but my Chromebook was about $250 and has been amazing. It is barely heavier than a MacBook Air and has both mine and my wifes Google profiles on it so we can both use i without stepping on one anothers crap. It does actual work, I can write/run code on it.

Mine is the smaller one (acer 11"), I can take it everywhere because I get 6+ hours out of the battery.