Quantcast

Which would you choose??

mserko1

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Bellingham, WA
This bike might be mine in the near future but I have my choice of a 2004 Jr T or a 2005 Manitou Dorado. Just thought I would get some input before I decide. Thanks

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I would go with the Dorado, but I have never been a fan of the jr. T, my advice; ride it until you can afford to upgrade the fork. Maybe a used Boxxer would be the ticket as they can be had on the cheap.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
jrt needs less maintenance and is less flexy, dorado is better damped when working,

there was a mod for the jrt i think, drill a hole in the right spot too make the compresion damping not spike.

or you could buy supert dampening cartridge, more $ but best option.

I would go with the jrt and do one of the above mods.

or save until you can get a better fork

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
dorado is better damped when working
Which is only about the first 15 minutes after rebuild.

It depends on what you're wanting. If you want a fork that you won't have to tough. Go with the marzocchi. If you want an old expensive fork that you need to overhaul often and is flexy and isn't worth anything on the used market, then go for the manitou.

Either way you go, you will want to upgrade pretty quickly to something like a '06 or newer boxxer, or a 888 rc2x. Or a 40 if you want to shell out the cash.

If you go with the Dorado, in theory, you should be able to get more on the used market than the Junior T. So that might be something to consider. I used to retail for almost $1800... But the used market sucks if you're trying to get anything out of them.

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Uffff! do neither, why bother when you can roll with a Yeti, Iron Horse or a Blindside. I saw a sweet 07 Sunday at a certain local shop the other day for a killer price; nice parts too.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
I just took off my JR-T... trust me, you don't want one.
Have you ever owned a manitou product? Junior T's aren't great by any means. But they will last. A durado will need way more work to keep it feeling ok. It depends on how much money one is wanting to dump into a fork to keep it working. If you don't want to spend much, get the marzocchi. If you want to shell out cash for several overhauls a year to keep the fork feeling good, go for the durado.

Isn't that Chad's bike???
It might be... Chad is into riding other things as of late. Too many other "options" on his plate. He's hard pressed to move into other opportunities that are being openly placed in front of him.