Quantcast

Which XC/AM Bike would you buy?

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
so i'm lookin at a few XC/All Mtn Bikes for several reasons. Main reason is that i'm expanding my shop, but want to make sure i'm bringing in the right bikes (since i don't have a ton of money to burn), but i want to make sure whatever i get is a solid bike & will sell. Unfortunately out of all the bikes i've ridden, i've had no experience on the ones i'm interested in getting (haha go figure)

what would you buy? & would you buy FRAME only or COMPLETE?

Transition Covert 275
Transition Covert 29
Turner Sultan (29)
Turner Burner (275)e
Turner Flux (275)
Nukeproof Mega AM (275)
Nukeproof Mega TR (275)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i have no experience on any of these, but knowing you, i'm assuming you've done your homework and have selected these brands because they are not being sold at other shops in your general region. (i don't mean this as a dig, you've always come across as a very intelligent & professional individual).

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
i have no experience on any of these, but knowing you, i'm assuming you've done your homework and have selected these brands because they are not being sold at other shops in your general region. (i don't mean this as a dig, you've always come across as a very intelligent & professional individual).
all good. :) yep, that's one of the main reason's i'm lookin at these. ...but like i said, i have no experience with them either. they look great on paper... but just want to make sure they're worth the investment! :D

cheers

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Turner being a regional brand for you might be a good call. but so might nukeproof, because i doubt many shops would be selling them.

If you are looking for some other ideas for your shop give me a shout, i used to work at one of the largest bike dealers in NY state.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The aluminum Turners are the only American Made options.
In the current political and economic climate that is an easily leverageable selling feature.

Build an SLX/Zee Burner with quality damping, I bet it doesn't sit around long.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
XC and AM are pretty far apart, so do you mean trail? These days a 29er with 100 to 120mm will be a fast machine and capable as a slightly longer travel 26er IMO, the only issue IMO is the older generation of bikes tend to have some pretty wacky geometry, the sultan is kinda in this category. I'd have to agree that the burner, especially with a light build, would be an amazing bike. Turners go season after season, much better investment than a Taiwan catalog-bike. It's a little hard to figure out what you mean though with XC-AM. If I wanted a straight XC bike that I'd occasionally race but also take on long epic rides, I'd try to swing a czar.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I am a transition fanboy and I really enjoyed the short amount of saddle time I have had on a transition covert. It was however a 26" bike.

Last edited:

DrSpoke

Chimp
Jan 7, 2014
Escondido, CA
Bike Magazine's recent review of the Evil Uprising was pretty amazing. I bought a Pivot Mach 429 Carbon in Nov and have been impressed. I would recommend looking at the Pivot line as well.