Quantcast

Whihch Shimano cleats with which Shimano pedals?

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
So I gave up on my Times & my eggs after realizing that my knees prefer less float over more. So i have a pair of Shimano 545s on one bike - these are the traditional Shimano style, and use the SH51 cleats.

Now I'm thinking about a pair of new Shimanos the 647s, but these use the new-type shimano mechanism. IS the cleat the same? thansks for any info.

-Mackie

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I think any of the SH-5x cleats would work. The choice comes down to single-direction release or multi-directional release. There are only 4 different mtb cleats. The only restrictions I can find are SH-55 and SH-56 both say they wont work with M959/M540/M520 pedals.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
BikeGeek said:
I think any of the SH-5x cleats would work. The choice comes down to single-direction release or multi-directional release. There are only 4 different mtb cleats. The only restrictions I can find are SH-55 and SH-56 both say they wont work with M959/M540/M520 pedals.

Yeah, the 55 vs 959 restriction is what confused me.
Thanks much.

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
Mackie said:
So I gave up on my Times & my eggs after realizing that my knees prefer less float over more. So i have a pair of Shimano 545s on one bike - these are the traditional Shimano style, and use the SH51 cleats.

Now I'm thinking about a pair of new Shimanos the 647s, but these use the new-type shimano mechanism. IS the cleat the same? thansks for any info.

-Mackie
i know the post is a little older, but thought i would help to clear this up for you..

your existing SH51 cleat is the standard shimano cleat that comes stock with ALL MTB pedals - including the 647's ... the SH-55/56 will also work - but these are multi-release.. you don't want this cause when you pull up hard you'll disengage..

cheers