Quantcast

Whiskey again...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
My dad had a bottle of Glenmorangie 1971 hanging around he got as a gift a long time ago...I feel guilty drinking it, but no one else in my family will touch scotch.

Good stuff. Thank goodness Maker's Mark is good too (Yes, I know it's bourbon. It's still good, and it's $17 a bottle). I can't afford a $400 a bottle habit :D

Any other reasonable scotch suggestions? I'm not a huge fan of the overly peaty stuff.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Yossarian said:
All bourbon is whiskey, not all whiskey is bourbon
and scotch isn't whiskey, it's whisky.

Try the Glenmorangie port finished ($50-$60). The Aberlour is also nice and a bit cheaper ($30-$40).

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
BikeGeek said:
and scotch isn't whiskey, it's whisky.

Try the Glenmorangie port finished ($50-$60). The Aberlour is also nice and a bit cheaper ($30-$40).
You've got good taste. I love both Arberlour and the Glenmorangie Portwood Finish.

A great deal in VA is Dalmore 12 year old. $30 a bottle and it's as good as other $50 scotches. I also like The Singleton, which isn't available in-state, but is excellent.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
fonseca said:
A great deal in VA is Dalmore 12 year old. $30 a bottle and it's as good as other $50 scotches. I also like The Singleton, which isn't available in-state, but is excellent.
Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a shot. (no pun intended) :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
black bush?

midleton is the high-end spendy irish whiskey, and i've had some but i'm not enough of a whiskey fan to feel the need to fork over the $$$ for it.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
narlus said:
black bush?

midleton is the high-end spendy irish whiskey, and i've had some but i'm not enough of a whiskey fan to feel the need to fork over the $$$ for it.
word...I feel the same way. Most Whiskey's I've tried have been pretty good - I can tell a slight difference in taste, but after 2-3 glasses it don't matter anymore ;)

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Our client's Xmas party was this past Saturday in D.C., and the wife and I had more than our fair share of fine liquor. I was mostly sticking with the Blue Sapphire gin, Old Bushmills and Makers Mark while the wife put down the rum.

In total, I had:
2 glasses of cab sav
2 glasses of pino grig
4 gin-n-tonics
4 whiskey cokes
2 black russians
3 irish coffees
& no beer whatsoever

Thank God for Metro.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
llkoolkeg said:
Our client's Xmas party was this past Saturday in D.C., and the wife and I had more than our fair share of fine liquor. I was mostly sticking with the Blue Sapphire gin, Old Bushmills and Makers Mark while the wife put down the rum.

In total, I had:
2 glasses of cab sav
2 glasses of pino grig
4 gin-n-tonics
4 whiskey cokes
2 black russians
3 irish coffees
& no beer whatsoever

Thank God for Metro.
dude...I would of passed out with all that.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Evan Williams Reserve is the best Bourbon you'll ever sip.

Makers is up there too, but it's too smooth for me, I got hammered last time I drank Makers.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Acadian said:
dude...I would of passed out with all that.
The drinking was over the course of seven hours with dinner and hors d'ourves, so I was able to hold it together. Because it was a client's Xmas party, I had to maintain some composure and dignity about me. It's funny b/c I can still hold my liquor even though my ability to drink much beer has gone down the toilet. I can't remember the last time I had more than a six-pack- this coming from a guy that regularly drank anywhere from a 12-24 pack of Milwaukee's Best Ice(6.9%) throughout college.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm currently working on bottle of 18 year old Glenlivet that I'm enjoying more than I thought I would, at $46 it's about 1/2 the price of the Macallan 18 and pretty damn good.

I also had a great bottle of Oban, 14 y.o. I think, was about $60.

Pricey stuff but a bottle of the good stuff will last me at a least a month sometimes longer, even when I share with friends on occasion. I prefer to sip it in relatively small amounts, I don't mix it with anything, just float a couple rocks in it and I'm good to go. Really warms the cockles.

:)