Quantcast

Whistler 2010 Opening Weekend Roll Call

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
quote of the weekend, my body hurts all over and I'm trying to piece together last night.....
ahah you were in the circle too? I was the biggish guy in a black fox shirt with shaggy hair. Weren't that many people in there, I probably put you on the floor or vice versa at some stage!

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
ahah you were in the circle too? I was the biggish guy in a black fox shirt with shaggy hair. Weren't that many people in there, I probably put you on the floor or vice versa at some stage!
yeah, I don't really remember much, I was told by a number of different people today though that I was really really drunk....super fun birthday weekend, I love this town!

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Was that you with the birthday hat on your helmet?
That was Matty. He found it in his room when he got to town and managed to keep it on his helmet the entire weekend!

Everything except for the insane lift line was great this weekend. I'm looking forward to Dirt Merch and Angry Pirate opening up but I guess that gives me another good reason to look forward to next weekend.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I wasn't about to stop to take out my camera. The group that I stayed with had 4 or 5 helmet cams between 7 riders though. I'm sure something will get posted soon enough. You might try watching for something on the Freehub website.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I wouldnt stop either being between the lines and adrenaline and just plain killin it... But sitting on this side of the fence I feel inclined to bother you guys! LOL :thumb:

Sitting here watching the kids while the wife and all her GFs are in Cancun I have to look forward to something....

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
definitely best first weekend conditions ever, if anything its already too dry, which is really weird considering the snowline is still pretty much at mid station.....forest fire already burning south of squamish at brittania....could be a sketchy fire year again...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
definitely best first weekend conditions ever, if anything its already too dry, which is really weird considering the snowline is still pretty much at mid station.....forest fire already burning south of squamish at brittania....could be a sketchy fire year again...
Wow T-shirts and dust on opening weekend not bad. 6 years in a row but then children has gotten in the way. I will be back eventually :(

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I did a blog post about my weekend, and I thought I'd share it here.

http://monsterthompson.blogspot.com/2010/05/whistler-weekend.html
I'm quite pleased with the weekend. It was just over two weeks ago I made the decision to head to Whistler for opening weekend, and the choice was riddled with concerns: What will the weather be like? How long will the lift lines be? Do I really want to just ride the lower half of the mountain? His many of those trails will even be open? It was a decent chunk of cash to throw down for a two day adventure; $300 for the flight to meet my buds in Seattle, $50 each way for shipping my bike, gas money to drive to Whistler from Seattle, condo rental, parking in the city, lift ticket fees, resort town food prices, and taking two days of vacation time. Well, after all that, it was worth it.

Here is what ruled and why:
Alaska Air - Cheaper bike shipping rates and minimal packaging restrictions when compared to other airlines.

Buds who will pick you up, drop you off and give you a bed: Thanks to Jason and Tina's parking and transport service. Thanks to Jim's taxi, and Rand and Nicole's bed and breakfast with airport shuttle service. Also a big thanks to those who rode with me, because riding alone sucks.

Mother Nature: Thanks for the glorious weather and holding off on the scheduled rain for a few days. Also, thanks for the bounty that is the mountain.

Droid: Great for wifi web and email access over the border. Also great for entertainment on long flights and drives. Best of all, good for pictures and videos of the good times and the easy uploading to share it all.

Whistler Trail Crew: Nice job kids! The conditions were stunning and the trails flow better every year. Crank It Up is a great warm up run, with tons of fun little boosts and turns; It has grown nicely since my last trip, two years ago. Heart of Darkness is fun swoopy berms into rooty goodness, though it could get like rush hour on the freeway in there at times. Ninja Cougar and Karate Monkey have some nice rooty twists and turns though the woods, without quite as much steep and gnar as the black runs; a good place for those learning the hill, or looking for a warm up. A Line's jumps are growing, but still manageable, even for a low altitude bar humper like me; the berms were pristine on day one, but were alredy showing braking bump chatter by the end of the weekend. Also, does anyone else feel the rock drop landing moving closer to the lip? Schleyer is same as it ever was... pure awesome. Detroit Rock City was fantastic, with much of the upper mountain gnar crammed into a lower mountain run, including that big ol' rock roller to test your fear of heights. Upper Joy Ride was stunning, with a few gnarly rock rollers, including that long nasty bit that boosts you out into the woods like white lightning out of a black snakes ass. And Lower Whistler DH was just so damn DH-ish, from the wide open speed sections, to the steep rock faces, and into the tight techy tree switchbacks.

Nicolai bikes: The UFO ST is an eye catching ice breaker, and it rides as good as it looks. The frame is stiff, well built, and the geometry is comfortable. It tears up corners, boosts hips and lips, and is capable of more than I can dish out. My only issue with it is the single pivot design that inherently causes the rear wheel to hang up on roots and square edges at slower speed: the solution, of course, is to just give it more gas.

Maxxis Minnion DHF Tires: The stick on everything in that park, even the wet rocks.

Marzocchi 888 WC ATA Forks: I've hear they aren't magical for everyone, but mine rocks for me. I kept it in 8" mode the whole time and it reliably soaked up bumps and kept the front wheel steering true. The thing even saved my bacon on a few over-shot jumps (nothing like flat landing the second table in the A Line 4-pack and coming away with all your teeth and functioning wrists to make you appreciate good suspension).

Deity Dirty 30 Handlebars: 30 inches long, white, and easy on the wrists. With damn fine customer service, Deity has a customer for life (just hurry up with the new pedals).

POC Body Armor: The Bone knee/shin and elbow/forearm pads are fantastic. The fit well, though they are a bit on the snug side and did slide down a bit from my initial placement. However, once they found a resting place, they stayed there and happily protected me from all the crashes I didn't have, with no noticeable restriction of my movement.

Saint Brakes: Dear Shimano, thank you for making this trip fantastic. These gargantuan stoppers were the MVP of the trip. For the first time ever, I had no concerns about being able to stop under any conditions, no matter how steep, loose, or hot. I found myself willing to let it all hang out in areas I once rolled timidly. Oddly enough, I found that going faster put me in better positions and, despite the satisfying performance they offered, I was less inclined to use them.

I've got vids and pics I will post shortly.

Ahh, what a treat to huck your meat. Until next time.
...eveidently "fantastic" is the word of the day.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I have always heard good things about flying Alaska with bikes. I have to say they are one of my favorite airlines.

P.S. I'm jealous.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I came off that rock roll on Rock City with an ok amount of speed, but forgot about the step up right afterwards. Although I managed to almost stop before I got to the next rock, it was the only time I came off the bike all day.

That fire above Brittania was raging when I drove by. Huge flames easily visible form the road.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
anybody be there on Wednesday? I'll be riding the Yeti hardtail (2010 DJ) with white and blue TLD Pants and a gray and blue shirt

Hope too see some monkeys at the park (haven't been there since 2004!!! STOKED!!)