Quantcast

Whistler, before and after Crankworx.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
We're planning our trip for this year and everyone backed out except for 2 of us. My buddy insist on going August 4-11th, the week before CW. CW begins on the 10th. The 11th would be Saturday and we'd be heading to the airport. He sid he did the same thing last year and it was fine. The same crowd as when we went in early July.

Another guy wants to go, but says it's the second busiest week of the year... But he's never been there! He said that he knows someone who's been there at the end of August/early September and the trails are maintained.

Any firsthand input on either one?

Last edited:

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
A group of us went the week before Crankworx this year. The crowds honestly weren’t as bad as I thought they’d be. Lines at the main lift we’re getting big towards the end of the week, but it was very tolerable. A lot of the teams were there, mostly towards the end of the week. Pretty impressive to watch the pros rip the trails. Humbling. Other than the weather, I’d do that week again in a heartbeat. It was 90-95 and dry all week. The trails were blown out because of no moisture. And there were wildfires up north that made the air quality real bad the first half of the week. Definitely take Top of the World to Ride Don’t Slide. Best trail there IMO. They were working on more tails on Creekside too. Awesome deep woods loamy BC DH trails. Soooo good.

ronnyg801

Chimp
May 27, 2009
I have been to whistler 6 times, only one of them being not during crankworx. A few of the times just before and just after. There is little difference in trail quality from my experiences in any scenario, some of the trail quality is dependent on whether or not they have rain. the two best years were rainy years, one year trails were like pavement and awesome, the other we got a lot of mud runs in which as was also super awesome (I live in SLC, UT, here the culture frowns upon riding wet trails). The two worst years were dry years, it was still fantastic but as you can imagine, there were breaking bumps and some moon dust, but still excellent.

During crankworx, isnt quite what everyone thinks IMO. Yes its a little more busy, but its more fun, more going on. Yes some trails are shut down for portions of the day. wa wa wa... they have over 85 trails... still plenty of fun to be had.

My sentiments, just go, you will love it as long as you dont get broke off. even then, you will probably still love it.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I have been there once right after Labor Day and it was great. Hardly any waiting at the lifts and trail conditions were good too. Would do it again.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
IMO the best time at Whistler is late Sept early October. You can be gambling with some of the high altitude stuff but some moisture usually heads back in, cooler temps, and the trail crew usually has some treats they rush to get in before year end.