Quantcast

Whistler vs. Morzine

superistic

Chimp
May 27, 2008
Well, I think you know what I mean. Maybe not. Perhaps I worded that wrong. Obviously it depends on your definition. I think what I mean is a trail that is thought out completely, to the detail, from top to bottom; like a work of art, with its own unique character. I didn't have that experience much at PDS, whereas Whistler it is almost every trail.

For example at Whistler you have Crabapple Hits, Karate Monkey, and Smoke and Mirrors, all within a few hundred yards of each other, yet totally different trails in character, all three of them. But at PDS you can be in a totally different place and yet still feel like you are on the same trail. Do you get what I mean?

I saw some some super crazy stuff at PDS, bigger than anything at Whistler, but it wasn't like you could just get up and go session it and get it dialed; like you said. It might be like two or three valleys over and would take you a chunk of the day just to get there. PDS greatest attraction, its size, is also its drawback.

I believe if you were to distill the very best trails at PDS and put them all under two lifts, you might have something comparable to Whistler, but then again, it wouldn't be PDS. Like someone else said, they are two different experiences.

Whistler is a distilled refined experience, whereas PDS is more like a rough adventurous treasure hunt.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Whilst I haven't ridden PDS for four years now, I'd like to think I rode the majority of lesser known trails the area had to offer at the time.
Those are the key words. Lots of things have gotten better in the last 4 years. In addition, many people don't use the trains either. There are trails off the back of Chatel and Morgins that have 45 minutes of technical downhill singletrack that nobody rides with a train dropping you 5 meters from the tram in Champery. No lift lines = more riding, no?

disclaimer: I am partial so take it for what it is. I also like it very technical, steep and never race but I do know the trails not on the maps. Anyways, beers are too expensive in Whistler compared to Switzerland and I like my "aprés bike."

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, the last three posts I definitely agree with. Sometimes, Whistler feels a little too sanitised. Like a theme park almost, especially before Garbanzo opens. The last time I was in the Alps I went to Les Arcs and I have to say, I was very impressed. Not much in terms of density of trails, but some awesome stuff if you didn't mind exploring, and never any crowds.

And yeah, beer in Whistler is rediculous.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Hi Ben,

I think the trail name is Drum 'n' Bass, I know it runs down the same hill as the Champery WC track, I think it may have been a hikers trail up & down the mountain. Its like one giant rock garden all the way if you know it?

We stumbled on it purely by chance.

I'll drop you a PM though, always good to hook up with people when out there who can show us some of the less mainstream fun stuff :D

I know this one... that isperhaps more a trials trail than a DH trail....
:bonk:

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
I would prob have to say Morzine, just because i prefer DH race style..But in truth i would prefer to go to germany or Austria.. They have the best tracks and people!!

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
[sigh]

See, this upsets me. Crank it up just isn't downhill mountain biking IMO. It's a wide open freeway with no technical difficulty whatsoever. Yes, you can pin it, just like you can the likes of A-line and Dirt Merchant, but doing so requires very little in terms of technical skill. The original poster made it clear he was interested in the pros and cons of each venue with respect to DH race-style trails. I appreciate everyone has a personal taste but, really, I would find a race course like crank it up incredibly dull and boring.

Well big-ted, you are very right about crank it up not being a true DH run, but any fast racer will tell you that you have to mix it up a bit. And, besides its mellowness, there is always something on the easy trails that will help you with the tech DH stuff, i.e, flat corners, off cambers, learning different lines that go around those main ones that everyone skids into, staying on the ground as apposed to jumping straight up in the air, and just the speed factor. Your mind needs practice getting used to having trees and what not fly by at however many MPH. So in a sense you are right, it does not require too much skill to pin it down a trail like that, but any skill will help in that tech stuff, not to mention the 4X track.

Sorry for getting off the topic about specific DH, but I whistler owns in that hands down.

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
crank it up is the roughest trail in the mountain braking bump, no braking caves galore.

but hey, thats because many people skid down the trail.

but yes the new addition is fun. rode the mountain for the first time this season last wednesday when i was in seattle on holiday
its funny isnt it! haha!

That means you missed the new merchant too, they fixed the berms and were running the old school star wars section at the bottom instead of the ridiculous step up bit. Was wicked!

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
its funny isnt it! haha!

That means you missed the new merchant too, they fixed the berms and were running the old school star wars section at the bottom instead of the ridiculous step up bit. Was wicked!
a sly grin crept over my face on saturday when I realized the old rutabega line was back for a time.......damn it's good.......pro was just in the office, sounds like they have some interesting things in the works for that area......

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
If it is getting rid of the 3 bmx tables in that section, then I am stoked! Either way, there is some serious potential there, cannot wait for the change.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
As for the mainstream PDS tracks, once a week or so, the kiwi lads would do 'Pleney-athons' where they would literally do as many runs of the Pleney as possible in one day. The record was 37 if I remember correctly.

They would fix punctures on the lift back up. No chin-wagging at the bottom. Serious back-to-back solid runs.

If you think about it, this would be great training in itself as you are trying to beat your last record. You are going faster and faster.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The shapers in Chatel are working super hard right now with 3 excavators and 7 guys to prepare some new trails but mainly to get the Vario trail a new entrance much higher up the mountain for the IXS cup. Sounds like it will be pretty good. I will go check it out and keep you guys posted once my sprained ankle gets less blue.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
As for the mainstream PDS tracks, once a week or so, the kiwi lads would do 'Pleney-athons' where they would literally do as many runs of the Pleney as possible in one day. The record was 37 if I remember correctly.

They would fix punctures on the lift back up. No chin-wagging at the bottom. Serious back-to-back solid runs.

If you think about it, this would be great training in itself as you are trying to beat your last record. You are going faster and faster.
I remember riding there when Rankin and Hayden were doing back to back runs.
The year after that it was allmost impossible to ride Pleney cause of the brake bumps.
Luckily I was with someone who knew his way around PDS or that would have been a very bad summer...

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand

37? That's insane. The best I managed was 18 or so (sure I stopped for lunch...) but still. 37? Damn.

Might be a simple nontechnical track, but do it at warp speed (subjective warp speed that is... mine will be way slower than you pros) and you've got to be concentrating hard.

37. Damn.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Mark - I remember Graeme doin about 20 runs of the plenney in an afternoon the first year we ever went - and you know what a lazy wee ****er he is! ;)