Quantcast

Whistler

Jabo

Chimp
Jul 18, 2005
Chehalis, WA
I'm relatively new to this stuff.
My starter bike is a (please don't laugh) 2002 Giant Warp DS1. I am looking to get a new bike pretty soon, but is there any trails up at Whistler that aren't DH or for dirt jumpers? I mainly just do xc and singletrack stuff, but my friends are all hyping this place like it's Mecca.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
It is a Mecca. And they have lot's of cross country trails.

A word of warning, Canadian cross country trails are about as technical as they get.
Fun though.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
On the mountain, there's easy trails to come down - like B-line, easy does it, Ho Chi Min. There's XC type trails off the mountain, but don't know those.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Jabo said:
My starter bike is a (please don't laugh) 2002 Giant Warp DS1. I am looking to get a new bike pretty soon, but is there any trails up at Whistler that aren't DH or for dirt jumpers? I mainly just do xc and singletrack stuff, but my friends are all hyping this place like it's Mecca.
Are you hot? :thumb:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
If you do the bike park, stick to the trails Five just mentioned. Any local bike shop should be able to point you in the direction of some valley trails that would suit your skill level. Wherever you ride, have fun!!

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Jabo said:
Well I'm sure not laughing. I'll be up there in a couple weeks on a 1999 Trek DH with a 03 Boxxer Race. I believe the Monkeys voted this frame the Ugliest Bike EVER - the worst fork ever too! You can laugh, I am. :p

Good to hear that there are options on the hill. I love the rough stuff but can't jump worth a poo. The boys I'm going with [Grahm and Scott from Ellensburg] are gonna be hitting every table they can find. I will surely die. :D

To further the derailment, I have another bike. An 03 Enduro with an 03 Z1. Not sure if it would be a better choice or not. The Enduro is 5&5 while the Trek is 8&8. Hmmmm. Input? :confused:

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Hopefully I can give you some newbie info. There's several trails off the bottom that you can hit with the 5x5. As mentioned, B-Line is probably the most fun. But, you should be able to hit all the Blue squares with the 5x5 bike and even at least the middle GLC. Heart of darkness was a good time and there's one good little drop in there just after the construction part that will be fun on a smaler bike. Forget the top on a 5-5 though.

We did Kill Me Thrill Me to Comfortably Numb on Day 2 and it was a 9 hour workout. But, amazing stuff and I'd do it again in a heart beat. River Runs Through It was ok, But, it's probably more fun at Galbraith. The bottom half is super tech. We also rode Cut Yer Bars which is straight across Lorimer towards the lake and is pretty technical in places. Also rode all over the Lost Lake trails and there's some gnarl in there if you look.

So, definately something for everyone. I'd probably get bored pretty fast if I was stuck to the Blues on the lower half of the lift all day though. If you do that, bring the big bike. Ugly or not.

Jabo

Chimp
Jul 18, 2005
Chehalis, WA
Well... that makes me feel a lot better. Good to know. I have a good car to get me to Whistler and everything... except I don't have anyone to go with at work, and *sob* no friends to play with up here.
How often do you guys get together for this kind of trip?
Do you just go up as friends or just find other people to go?

OH. Got me pic up.
Don't say I didn't do you any favors, snacks.

That was a joke.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
There's always people going up - some do dayers, some spend the weekend. You can always post here to see if anyone would want to drive up with you or meet you up there. Hope you make it up there, the scene is awesome.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Borneo said:
There's several trails off the bottom that you can hit with the 5x5... you should be able to hit all the Blue squares with the 5x5 bike and even at least the middle GLC... Forget the top on a 5-5 though... If you do that, bring the big bike. Ugly or not.
I'm gonna have to dissagree with you there Borneo.

Quality is way more important than quantity when it comes to suspension. A 5" marzocchi on an enduro is easily just as capable as anything with an '03 boxxer.

There are plenty of kids in my area going super fast and super huge on realy gnarly stuff using enduro's. Besides, didn't you see those guys on hardtails at Whistler stomping pretty much everything?

I know it's 90% rider, but I had an '02 boxxer that had no dampening to speak of, started riding my other bike with a Fox Talas and couldn't believe how much faster I could go. Just stay loose!

BuddhaRoadKill, just put bigger tires and a bashring on the enduro and you'll be gold. Oh, and I couldn't jump for poo either untill I rode Whister. It teaches you in a fun, safe, controlled environment.. I think.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
If you want to know any valley trails just let me know. I have ridden most of them (except the pure xc ones, I need something to occupy my add infected brain)

In reality every trail on the mountain is doable on a 5x5. I ride a 6x6 and it works fine for everything, its my brain that stops me. Most of my buds rock ht's and a 5in fork and ride way more than I do. One just switched to a big dually and doesn't go much bigger, just MUCH faster now :)...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yeah, roasted is right: you can do everything on the mountain on a "little" bike, but just not as fast or comfortably. i'd imagine a few runs on original sin would be quite taxing on a hardtail, for instance...

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Toshi said:
yeah, roasted is right: you can do everything on the mountain on a "little" bike, but just not as fast or comfortably. i'd imagine a few runs on original sin would be quite taxing on a hardtail, for instance...
Hahaha ironically thats the best example. He didn't ride up top and spent most of his time on the bottom only doing 2 or 3 runs up garb with the rest divied up through the blacks on the bottom. Now he lives up top. He never comes past halfway haha