Quantcast

Who are the Hope gurus around here?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
PM Brian HCM#1, ViolentVolante, or me with questions...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
T-Pirate said:
I do have a question. Why is my rear mini still squeaking after like 2 weeks of riding. It stops making noise if you get it heated up a bit but if I hop on the bike and ride they are SO loud....and weak.
Change the pads to EBC's, if that doesn't work check the caliper alignment, and/or face the tabs on the frame.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
T-Pirate said:
I do have a question. Why is my rear mini still squeaking after like 2 weeks of riding. It stops making noise if you get it heated up a bit but if I hop on the bike and ride they are SO loud....and weak.
The 05's come with ear plugs. I hear that an ear plug upgrade kit will soon be available for pre-05's.

menachite

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
The All American Valley
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Here are a few easy questions including a "technical" issue:

1) What are the best replacement pads and rotors currently available?

2) The spring spacer that holds the pads apart....where can a replacement be acquired from? Also the "R" clips?

3) "TECHNICAL ISSUE"

I need to recenter the pads and wanted to know the best way to do this. Here is a picture to refer to:

http://quark.xand.com/~jbogie/pics/bike/hope_caliper.jpg

The caliper is mounted to a "POST" style mount on a Manitou fork. The caliper is mounted all the way outboard (farthest left)....and cannot go any farther. The outside pad (left) slightly rubs on the rotor. When the brakes are applied the rotor gets "flexed" towards the inner pad as it travels toward the rotor.

So my question....is there any way to "RECENTER" the pistons/pads to compensate for this?

THANKS GURUS! :thumb:

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
your un-aligned rotor is likely the source of all of your problems. Id go to a local hardware store and buy a set of washers to space out your rotor, also get longer rotor bolts too. after you have your rotor spaced, re-align your caliper. Rub pads and rotor with rubbing alcohol and then give it a try :thumb:

menachite

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
The All American Valley
ViolentVolante said:
space out your rotor, also get longer rotor bolts too.
If I put spacers behind the rotor it will make the problem worse....to go along with your idea I would have to remove material from my hub to bring the rotor in between the pads.

Am I missing something?

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
i wouldnt space out a rotor if i could avoid it by doing something else tho.. the more contact between rotor and hub the better..

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
menachite said:
If I put spacers behind the rotor it will make the problem worse....to go along with your idea I would have to remove material from my hub to bring the rotor in between the pads.

Am I missing something?
sorry, i read your post backwards, im stumped on what you should do

menachite

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
The All American Valley
So I call Hope USA and the guy at the other end of the line recommends drilling out the mount on the caliper some more to slide the caliper farther outboard.

Does anyone here think of that as being a viable option? To me it seems a bit much. There has to be something else I can do.

Anyone got contact info for someone in the UK at Hope?

Thanks again everyone!

D

Dingus McGee

I am bummend Hope did not show up at Mammoth. Not to derail the thread, but 1/2 way through each DH run, the lever firmed up dramatically, one of the 4 pistons would not reatract, the whole system boiled and my rear brake dragged to the point that when off the bike and pushing it, the rear tire skidded. Nevertheless, I am going to buy a Mono 4 to replace the afrorementioned Enduro 4 and get it fixed for a backup.