Quantcast

who are you routing for? (TdF)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
We've had threads about your predictions for the race, certain stages, jerseys, etc., but who are people routing for?

I'd like to Rassmusen and Leipheimer do well. The more I read about Landis the more I like him.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I was rooting for Levi, but if he does start attacking in the next ten minutes or so I will root for him to go get some water bottles.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I wasn't rooting for Mayo...... as he cracks again and watches sprinters go by.

and I just find this HA

Another team eagerly awaiting the Tour's entry into the mountains of the French/Spanish border is Euskaltel-Euskadi. For the de facto national pro team of the Basque Country, the Pyrenean stages are a homecoming welcomed by vast hordes of orange-clad fans. The pressure will be on to put on a good show, and team manager Julien Gorospe believes his man Iban Mayo is ready. Mayo won the mountainous sixth stage of the Dauphiné Libéré in June, a win that boosted his confidence in the run-up to the Tour.

It was very important for [Mayo] to win a stage in the Dauphiné Libéré," Gorospe told reporters before yesterday's stage of the Tour. "He is another rider now."

Mayo was tipped as a potential Tour winner when he battled Lance Armstrong in the mountains in the 2003 Tour and won the 2004 Dauphiné, but his team's weakness in the team time trial and his own inconsistent form has kept him off the podium. This year there is no team time trial and Gorospe said that Mayo, "went through the first week without any problem and is physically okay."

However, even if Mayo shows some of his former brilliance in the mountains, he will struggle to make up his current 6:24 deficit. But Gorospe says he might yet be a contender. "If he wins a stage, he will make a jump in the overall classification. We will have to see day by day how things go," he said.

Gorospe confirmed that the team's home town advantage in the Pyrenees would likely be decisive. "All Basques will be there," he said. "And the crowd is very important if you want to win a stage."

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
douglas said:
Rassmussen, and all of the US riders...or any underdog that throws down for a day in the spotlight
Shoot, everyone is an underdog after today! Holy cow, Mayo, Cunego, Leipheimer...BIG losers today.