Quantcast

who doesnt like a bike comparison thread?? commencal supreme 8 vs tr450

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
keepin it simple and quick here..

so iv had a '11 supreme 8 for almost 2 years and everything about it is sweet but it is a bit on the small side..

some kid wants to do a frame swap with a large '11 tr450.. iv updated most of the components on the commy so they will be converted onto the tr450 ( easton havoc 35mm bar and stem, zee brakes, '15 charger damper, transition revolution 32 wheels )

i was going to get a new frame at the end of the season, so im still on the fence. this was out of the blue ( the kid messaging me ) so i really dont mind saying no

so basically.. what do you guys think of these frames? i read sicklines review and it seems...like a good dh frame lol

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Is your commencal a large, or medium? Compare actual numbers.

I like the TR a lot and don't think you can go wrong. If the fit is better I say trade and give it a try.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
So, 29mm longer ETT, 25mm longer wheelbase. That should give you what you're looking for.

Go for it.

You seem to be overlooking the important stuff. What color?

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
that looks good! i wish my revolutions were black, not white

but who the f*k cares

the kid is local and he wants to do the parking lot test with the commy built, so ill meet him someday this week

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
I've ridden both and like the TR450 way more. Less brake jack, smoother on rock gardens, and it just feels more comfortable.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If the frame is in good condition I'd go for it. Short reach is so 2006. Seriously, a longer bike will probably feel much better unless you ride some super twisty stuff.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
thanks guys.. yeah im getting some detailed pics and we will meet halfway either tomorrow or tuesday... really not sure why hes wanting to swap.. but im not asking questions :p

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I had a TR450 for a few years and had good experiences with it, like the others here. I had one of the first ones, which had one or two issues, but even then it was a bike that chugged along with no complaints.

Beyond how the actual bike rides, Transition was great to deal with in regards to warranty issues and spare parts. You can buy straight from them, which is nice.

This is what happened to mine after I sold it...

Has anyone ever noticed how nutty those Quebecers are?

Last edited:

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
awesome... thanks
yeah iv heard real good things about their customer service.. might have to buy those geometry chips because the kid doesn't have any

i think i read something about how the rear axle gets loose? not enough "clamp-ege"?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
If you've owned any Commencal for 2 years and it hasn't broken yet, I'd say you're running on borrowed time. Do the swap, but give the kid a fake number and name if asked, as it'll save hassle later.

The Supreme DH, Meta 4X and Absolut 4X are guaranteed for a period of six months (6 months). This duration is due to the fact that these products are destined for use in competitions and are therefore exposed to extreme conditions.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If you've owned any Commencal for 2 years and it hasn't broken yet, I'd say you're running on borrowed time. Do the swap, but give the kid a fake number and name if asked, as it'll save hassle later.
The warranty quote is also valid for v2 model? Because that's insane given how heavy that frame was. Though it's a good rule to avoid everything french besides their mountains.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
awesome... thanks
yeah iv heard real good things about their customer service.. might have to buy those geometry chips because the kid doesn't have any

i think i read something about how the rear axle gets loose? not enough "clamp-ege"?
Which chips? I lost mine before I sold my bike 2 years ago, but they magically showed up a few months ago...Though at the moment, I can't remember where I put them. Hmmm. My friend my also have a set from a updated TR450. I'll get a picture of those. If I can find mine, they are yours.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I flat out loved my tr450, raced and rode it for the last two years, zero problems, zero complaints. Just picked up a tr500, wife is still on a tr450. I'm admittedly a fAnboi.....but I have no reason not to be.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Which chips? I lost mine before I sold my bike 2 years ago, but they magically showed up a few months ago...Though at the moment, I can't remember where I put them. Hmmm. My friend my also have a set from a updated TR450. I'll get a picture of those. If I can find mine, they are yours.
these guys

if you find them that would be AWESOME dude.. much appreciated!

thanks kickstand.. iv been hearing nothing but good things; and the fact that they are U.S and have great customer care is a huge plus

ill keep this thread bumpin but i doubt ill be getting the tr450 this week.. maine vacation is coming up and i need to fix the car first lol

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Wooot, check the leverage curvature for the faw fiddy, it is truly a horrible thing. You have done a good thing for yourself, eff the other involved!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The warranty quote is also valid for v2 model? Because that's insane given how heavy that frame was. Though it's a good rule to avoid everything french besides their mountains.
And their women folk because they think hairy pits are fine and dandy.