Quantcast

Who here actually rides??

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I am fortunate enough to get to ride pretty much everyday. I commute to work nearly everyday, execpt in the worst of weather, cold doesnt bother me but heavy rain sure does!!!
I am blessed to own 4 bikes. A SS , a older stumpjumper HT with slicks, an older heckler. and I picked up an intense 6.6 this winter.. unfortunatley due to weather I have limited miles on that and have only hit the dirt on the 6.6 a handful of times. once home from work I am usually going for rides 3-4 times a week. sometimes under an hour , or sometimes for several. anyday I get to ride is a day well spent. i wish i lived somewhere closer to trails any real single track is always an hour car ride away.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
ss doesn t ride... he s planker :P... good lookin pow fellas...

this is taken in oct of last year in austria... nitro test weekend... railing groomers...

riding bikes... i mostly ride my SS these days, but i live for dh... heres a snap from burg frankenstein (frankensteins castle) up the road here in germany... this place was in the flick 're-union', a pretty forgettable mtb vid...

same place, a berm up higher... good riding here... we used to shuttle it and rip heaps of runs per day...

this is winterberg, about 20 miles from willingen where a DH WC was held last year... short, sweet dh... very fun tho'... especially the middle section that follows this lil hip...

this is still at winterberg but it s the 'freeride' course... pretty lame, but then again i m not much into riding wood... this teeter is as wide as it looks... if you look at the photo of the hip pervious, you can see the teeter in the background...

finally RAB (himself)... rammstein AFB... we got permission to build a DJ park, this was the beginning.. sam (sayndesyn) and i put heaps of hours on the shovels only to get reamed by an organisation named 'outdoor recreation'... a bigger bunch of tools you d never meet... sam, you d cry if ya saw the place now... BURN !!!

and last of all... a little step up that used the backside of the berm as a landing...

lookin forward to heaps more bike action in the land of nor cal...

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
bikenweed said:
Nice shorts.[/QUOTE]

gee thanks, it means nothing to me...

they are called board shorts gay lord - boardies.. made for surfing... stretchy nylon... made by rip curl... aussie uniform... same shorts as in the other jumping photo... tell me you aren t euro... jeez, i can t be criticised for fashion by a euro ;)... kev, the dutch bastid eyed them off as well... damn homo euros... yes, they are a little tight, but it s my massive legs as i RAIL the berm ;)... :redhot:

lets see some of your shots mate...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Been riding MTB's for almost 12 years. Its crazy how time flies. I've had more memories, met more friends and generally lived a richer life for it. I wish the 9-5 didn't cramp in on my riding so much, but what can you do;)

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
partsbara said:
gee thanks, it means nothing to me...

they are called board shorts gay lord - boardies.. made for surfing... stretchy nylon... made by rip curl... aussie uniform... same shorts as in the other jumping photo... tell me you aren t euro... jeez, i can t be criticised for fashion by a euro ;)... kev, the dutch bastid eyed them off as well... damn homo euros... yes, they are a little tight, but it s my massive legs as i RAIL the berm ;)... :redhot:

lets see some of your shots mate...
lol, dude, they look like spandex to me. Just giving you sh1t, there's nothing better than seeing spandex at the jumps...

Back on topic: Lately I've been riding about two or three times a week, plus racing on the weekends or taking weekend trips to go ride. That's about five rides a week, which is plenty. I'll snap a pic of my spandexed ass tomorrow, but it'll be on a 3 hour XC ride.

At the first national Maxxis race last Sunday:

The first Copa Catalana last weekend:

Last fall:

There we go, a couple of pretty recent pics. Enjoy!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
these days i ride my road bike to school, and that's about it. full fenders 4 life :dead: . in past lives i've raced cyclocross, xc, dh, and competed in observed trials, so i've had my fill.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
johnbryanpeters said:
As part of my not riding I did not ride to work today in an inch of slush with the temperature either side of thirty F with a good north wind, nor did I ride back in the afternoon on dry pavement and sun with the wind at my back. :D
I think we know the truth....

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
SoCal Supermarket Shelves
jdcamb said:
What kind of bike do you ride the most. What type of riding do you do the most. Where do you do it the most. Where is the coolest place you have gone to ride.
What kind of bike depends on where I am going to ride.

I mountain bike most of the time.

I ride most in California nowdays.

The coolest place I have ridden is in Utah.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
OGRipper said:
LOL, you are good sport - you made fun of his shorts then posted pics of you in THOSE pants!!! Nice. :rofl: :rofl:
Sooo true, hahaha. Hey, Bubba wears the same pants, only in pink. At least it's easy to find my pic on those online photo stores.

I do wear full spandex on just about all of my XC rides. It's very practical, and quite comfy, plus sleek and fast, and it's way to easy to make fun of. But at the dirt jumps? I dunno bout that... maybe we should start a new trend!

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
not a super frequent poster, but i do ride. mostly offroad, but enjoy pavement too. one burly hardtail, one 7x7" bike, one fixed gear roadie, one fixed gear crosser/commuter. suckily, i've been really sick for a few days, and leave tomorrow for a week visiting the inlaws. no ride until i get back. sigh.

from a recent moab trip. one shot by a local, the other three self timer shots.

Attachments

Today's not ride was hard to get motivated for, 20 F and a north wind and gray and spitting snow, which was all fine once I didn't get out in it. I didn't set out with no spares or tools. The terrain did not include gravel and paved roads, ploughed fields (in my mind the most difficult terrain I don't ride on), hay fields, snowmobile trails, white and black ice, most of which didn't break, class four roads and a quarry.

One of the lesser roads devolved from suburban style houses to small simple houses to trailers and shacks and wolf cross-dogs who barked, not too enthusiastically, and yards full of junk and trash. At the top, there were concrete barriers across the road. I didn't stop to talk to a fellow running a chain saw, who said hi, hello, sure you can ride, have a good time, and shortly thereafter I didn't find a whole network of marked trails with signs saying have a good time, no motors please.

I didn't follow a flock of turkeys who didn't run not too fast in front of me for a quarter mile or so until one by one they cut off into the brush along the trail. I didn't pass a shed full of beagles with rabbit feet nailed to the outside wall in a farmyard and I didn't pass a pile of dead rabbits a little further along the road.

I didn't get a cup of coffee and a couple of garlic sausages at a tourist shop and consume the meal sitting on the porch of a friend's antique shop.

I didn't ride about twenty-five miles in all, and didn't start cramping in the final mile or so and didn't snarf down a bunch of gatorade and food when I got back home.

It's good I didn't ride. :looney:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
johnbryanpeters said:
Today's not ride was hard to get motivated for, 20 F and a north wind and gray and spitting snow, which was all fine once I didn't get out in it. I didn't set out with no spares or tools. The terrain did not include gravel and paved roads, ploughed fields (in my mind the most difficult terrain I don't ride on), hay fields, snowmobile trails, white and black ice, most of which didn't break, class four roads and a quarry.

One of the lesser roads devolved from suburban style houses to small simple houses to trailers and shacks and wolf cross-dogs who barked, not too enthusiastically, and yards full of junk and trash. At the top, there were concrete barriers across the road. I didn't stop to talk to a fellow running a chain saw, who said hi, hello, sure you can ride, have a good time, and shortly thereafter I didn't find a whole network of marked trails with signs saying have a good time, no motors please.

I didn't follow a flock of turkeys who didn't run not too fast in front of me for a quarter mile or so until one by one they cut off into the brush along the trail. I didn't pass a shed full of beagles with rabbit feet nailed to the outside wall in a farmyard and I didn't pass a pile of dead rabbits a little further along the road.

I didn't get a cup of coffee and a couple of garlic sausages at a tourist shop and consume the meal sitting on the porch of a friend's antique shop.

I didn't ride about twenty-five miles in all, and didn't start cramping in the final mile or so and didn't snarf down a bunch of gatorade and food when I got back home.

It's good I didn't ride. :looney:
You really shouldn't not take no spares or tools. :oink:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
What kind of bike do you ride the most. What type of riding do you do the most. Where do you do it the most. Where is the coolest place you have gone to ride.
I have been riding my Kona King Kikapu for lots of miles, but I've got a project bike, an older titanium HT that I will be converting to a SS this spring. I like technical xc, preferably up in the mountains. I ride eastern WA and Idaho, and my coolest rides have been in the mountains of Idaho.

geargrrl

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
johnbryanpeters said:
Usually I pack too much stuff. Occasionally I bag the security blanket just to do a reset. :oink: :oink:
I'm still trying to figure out if I told you to take tools or not... :)

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
First I have to give the introduction to this topic a big :rolleyes: simple based on its whiney, accusatory presentation. Personally I have said everything there is to say about my rig and about the riding that I do.Why would I come on here week after week and say it again only to hear people go, dude, you said that last week.

Okay well thats that, now for the goods though 90% of you have heard it before:

My riding consists of TUrkey Mountain which is a large network of trails with everything from fast XC singletrack to extremely technical singletrack... mostly short to medium climbs and downhills.

Since early 03 I have been riding an 02 Giant AC Air.
It has a few slight variations from stock.

- Hand laced (thick straight guage spokes) rear XT to Rhyno Lite ( all black ones not the ones with the machined rimbrake surface)
- Custom Laced (Butted DT spokes) SUN DS1 to Real Hub (Real made good, lite front hubs, but crappy)

I have this wheel combination because I ride very technical terrain often and rock formations tend to smack against my rear spokes in tight situations. The straight guage spokes seem to hold up much better. The heavy rim is simple for durability... The light front wheel is used because again I do a lot of technical riding and climbing as well and I like to be able to throw my front end around. I have a matching XT/Rhyno for the front but I prefer this setup.

- Tompson seatpost
- Titek Berzerker Seat
- Flack jacket housing in crucial spots (i.e. front lever to disc and Rear Der loop)
- Continental Vert Pro Front Tire
- IRC Trail Bear rear (I tear knobs on anything but very stout rear knobs)
- Shorty Square Specialized Mobius stem (robbed from a rock hopper at the LBS)
- Time Pedals (mismatched Alium on the left carbon on the right, I brike my left Carbon and my right Alium and I dont feel the need to get more pedals since this workd just fine)
- And last but not least Sram PC 50 Chain

I have (in the last year) rebuilt and old hardtail frame out of spare parts and a few new ones. THis is my wifes ride but I use it for cruising around town too.

Here is the component list:
- Trek 4900 Frame
- Manitou Acel Comp Fork w/ Lockout
- Rhyno Lyte/Deore wheelset (with rim brake surface)
- Tektro brakes and levers
- Specialized Body G saddle
- Generic seatpost with Shock
- Flat Pedals
- Titec Big Al Stem
Deore Cranks and components
- ****mano chain
- Sram 9 spd Cassette
- Old School IRC Mythos XC Tires
- Oh and a gfeneric headset from some old Raeigh MTB

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
golgiaparatus said:
First I have to give the introduction to this topic a big :rolleyes: simple based on its whiney, accusatory presentation.
Well here's a :rolleyes: back at ya, this thread was very much needed when it first popped up and I am not the only one that appreciated it.