Quantcast

Who Here Still Rocks The Old School Hucking Monsters?

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
Cheers! :thumb:

Its in several bits at the moment, needs some TLC, but it shall ride again soon!:weee:

I have to change a few bits, like the tyres, its not kosher for me to ride anything but Maxxis anymore.:rolleyes:
Plus I want to change the bars to something flatter and wider, and play wit da shimz in the shock again, and it needs a new correct sized BB as well.
Which is a point, what size ISIS unit BB is the Disco supposed to have?

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Cheers! :thumb:

Its in several bits at the moment, needs some TLC, but it shall ride again soon!:weee:

I have to change a few bits, like the tyres, its not kosher for me to ride anything but Maxxis anymore.:rolleyes:
Plus I want to change the bars to something flatter and wider, and play wit da shimz in the shock again, and it needs a new correct sized BB as well.
Which is a point, what size ISIS unit BB is the Disco supposed to have?
isis bb is a 73/113. i like the FSA ones the best. i ran a 73/128 because of the 150mm rear end. here was my disco before i separated the headtube from the frame casing a jump.

FlynHawaiian

Chimp
Jul 7, 2003
I know this is a thread from the dead, but i'm curious if any of you folks still ride these "dinosaurs" for fun (don't want to really read how obsolete they are ) or like the giant dinosaurs, they had their moments and now are extinct?

Thanks for reading and Rock On!!

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
man RD3's collection is awesome. I've never gotten to experience anything like these bikes, except an exceptionally small(for me) race link with Avy front and rear. Narrow bars etc. The weight, small frame, and narrow bars made it unpleasant. Suspension felt good. Those Hood Mussels are so insane. Would love to hoon one in a bike park for a day just for fun

Segunda

Chimp
May 7, 2007
Have a Cortina Europe FS from the early 2000's in a box that I just moved house with me for the third time.
Used it as an Enduro avant-le-lettre.

Would love to do a build with modern parts, wide bars, propper tires, Boss hardware, ditch the guides, some bearings with actual seals.
What's the monkeys concensus on the safety of this, wouldnt the aluminium be all brittle on an old lady like this?

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Have a Cortina Europe FS from the early 2000's in a box that I just moved house with me for the third time.
Used it as an Enduro avant-le-lettre.

Would love to do a build with modern parts, wide bars, propper tires, Boss hardware, ditch the guides, some bearings with actual seals.
What's the monkeys concensus on the safety of this, wouldnt the aluminium be all brittle on an old lady like this?
i wonder this too. for instance say someone has a new old stock aluminum frame from 2000, never ridden. is the integrity compromised from age?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
But you cannot ride a bike at Whistler made before 2004.
Is this an actual rule at the resort? I can't imagine them enforcing it. How many of the lifties and patrolers were even riding in '04? For that matter how many of us could correctly ID '03 vs '04 bikes? It would be easy enough to pull aside the guy on a '97 Proflex but a '01 Super 8 upgraded with a '03 888? Hard to notice.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
monster truck bikes always had the coolest names. hood mussel, clifcat, spooky(brands, i know), apocalypse, cortina. now we have this "i take myself too seriously" stuff like glory, podium, legend

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
I guess Sinister R9s can fall into this category, but they were good at going fast too.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
They don't make em like that anymore that's for sure.. Look at that beautiful cnc'd arch. Where did you happen to find it and what did you pay? If you don't mind me asking. I'm curious what a nos fork like that goes for

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
My LBS had two Monsters originally. I bought one in 2003 and this one had been knocking around the shop since then. At least the last three years it had been tucked in a corner but still on the shop floor. I don't want to say the price but let's just say it was considerably cheaper than the one I bought in 2003. I also bought an nos Super T there a couple of years ago.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Here is some huck monster nostalgia from the early 2000s...

Pat's TMX ... hucktastic, cushy as ever.

My DH8... racer/hucker

Stair gaps! :)

Ridemonkey legends, BCD on the bike, Endless crew cheering. Snowshoe 2003.

Ridemonkey legend Seth Lolli, Snowshoe 4x, 2003

FlynHawaiian

Chimp
Jul 7, 2003
My LBS had two Monsters originally. I bought one in 2003 and this one had been knocking around the shop since then. At least the last three years it had been tucked in a corner but still on the shop floor. I don't want to say the price but let's just say it was considerably cheaper than the one I bought in 2003. I also bought an nos Super T there a couple of years ago.
Hey Valve Bouncer-

I noticed you are located in the "Land of the Rising Sun" aka Japan (I'm so jealous). I read several years ago, that BMW's from the Doc era, were in high demand there as their popularity started to dwindle down here. Have you noticed anyone pedaling around on those there?
Arigato gozaimasu

FlynHawaiian

Chimp
Jul 7, 2003
Here is some huck monster nostalgia from the early 2000s...

Pat's TMX ... hucktastic, cushy as ever.

My DH8... racer/hucker

Stair gaps! :)

Ridemonkey legends, BCD on the bike, Endless crew cheering. Snowshoe 2003.

Ridemonkey legend Seth Lolli, Snowshoe 4x, 2003
Hey Dump,

Thanks for sharing. But would you happen to know what has happened to these bikes, like the OP, have they turned to rust, buried in the basement, have a life else where . . . just curious.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The TMX and DH-8 were both sold circa 2004. DH-8 went to someone in California, I don't recall where the TMX went.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
cool man, i imagine thats extremely rare to find a nos monster. even more so for it to be at your lbs

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
cool man, i imagine thats extremely rare to find a nos monster. even more so for it to be at your lbs
I've known it was there for a while but yeah, from some basic googling I haven't seen an NOS Monster for sale in the past few years so I'm pretty stoked to get it. I only meant to sound a little coy regarding price, I'd hate to give the impression that I'm some sort of wheeler dealer. I've got my eye on a nice little XT groupset and I'm basically a permanently broke motherfucker so needs must and all that.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
I guess Sinister R9s can fall into this category, but they were good at going fast too.

Last night i was reminiscing about how much I miss my old sinister r9. that bike was amazing with the avy rear and was one of the fastest bikes i ever rode. never should have sold it.... Thanks again Brad Hodges at Nemesis for one of 10,000 failed promises.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
JImmy and FTW finished welding up a few more Hood Mussell framesets(from the batch that got mitered way back in the Bush Adminstration) this fall y'all

From what I can understand RD3 bought them all?!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've known it was there for a while but yeah, from some basic googling I haven't seen an NOS Monster for sale in the past few years so I'm pretty stoked to get it. I only meant to sound a little coy regarding price, I'd hate to give the impression that I'm some sort of wheeler dealer. I've got my eye on a nice little XT groupset and I'm basically a permanently broke motherfucker so needs must and all that.

if you're looking for vintage DH stuff i've got a set of kooka DH cranks and MRP system 1 chainguide. and a sun mammoth rim.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I love that there was almost an alternate reality where Sam Hill would have basically been riding a Profile DR-1 instead of DW linked Ironhorse. I forget where I read about Ironhorse wanting to license the DR-1 design, someone help me out?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I love that there was almost an alternate reality where Sam Hill would have basically been riding a Profile DR-1 instead of DW linked Ironhorse. I forget where I read about Ironhorse wanting to license the DR-1 design, someone help me out?
^ ska todd, line one... todd, line one.