Quantcast

Who is using Stan's Tubeless System?

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Curious as to who among is currently using or has used, or even know someone who uses or has used Stan's Tubeless System?

I'd rather this didn't turn into another debate over which is better CrossMax, etc. over Stan's. I was only wondering as to the results of using this system and whether or not it's worth it.

Thanks in advance.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Check the empty beer (MTBR) weight site. A lot of people were discussing a few months back. From everthing I read, most people seemed to rave about the system.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by spincrazy
Curious as to who among is currently using or has used, or even know someone who uses or has used Stan's Tubeless System?

I'd rather this didn't turn into another debate over which is better CrossMax, etc. over Stan's. I was only wondering as to the results of using this system and whether or not it's worth it.

Thanks in advance.

I am using it on both my DH bike and my SS and the moment, Seating the beads are the only hard thing to do and you need and air compressor. Bottom line it kicks ass, and the difference in traction is amazing. I am running Michilens on my dh bike 2.8/Mavic 321 combo front and a 2.2/Mavic 519. On my single speed I'm running the original CrossMax with Conti Vertical Pros. Both sets of rims are sealed using electrical tape and presta valve stems cut out of old tubes. What else you want to know?

BoSox5

Chimp
Mar 27, 2002
Bennington, VT
My buddy just got the kit about a month ago and has had no problems with it. He said that at first he was loosing a little bit of air...over the times of him not riding...but now that the seal is even better he is not loosing any.

He has been riding a lot lately...and has had no problems. I am trying to get him to air down even more now that he has it...but he likes to run higher pressures. Don't ask me why! I have tubes and I run as low as I can ( I am flirting with a pinch flat, but it is a risk worth taking)...better traction by far! I can't quite get him to understand that. I tried to tell him that the first thing I do before I go offroading in my 1970 Land Rover is air down...so why would it be any different on a bike. One day he will get it!

:D

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Thanks guys.

So, of those that posted here, the consensus seems to be on the positive tip.

I think I'll look into doing it. I just need to get a hold of the use of an air compressor it seems.

My concern is switching tires for conditions and as they wear. I've heard that if none of your tape has moved and your rim is still sealed that all you have to do is set the bead again. However, otherwise you need to do the process all over again. About how long does the procedure take. Do you still carry tubes and duct tape as a backup?

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by spincrazy
Thanks guys.

So, of those that posted here, the consensus seems to be on the positive tip.

I think I'll look into doing it. I just need to get a hold of the use of an air compressor it seems.

My concern is switching tires for conditions and as they wear. I've heard that if none of your tape has moved and your rim is still sealed that all you have to do is set the bead again. However, otherwise you need to do the process all over again. About how long does the procedure take. Do you still carry tubes and duct tape as a backup?
I don't loose much if any air once the bead is seated well. If you don't have an air compressor at home it will making using tubeless a lot more difficult, especially if you change your tires often for conditions (i don't). When first installing a new tire you must also soap down the rim to get a good air seal or the tire will never fill up, this can take a while with some tire/rim combos and can get messy. None of the rims I've sealed with tape have leaked or need to be replaced in the 4 months i've used them, and all have had tires mounted and removed many times.

Tubeless "DO NOT" eliminate flats, if thats your reason for running them forget it. They arn't much lighter either. However traction is amazing with lower pressure and no tube, and it does eliminate pinch flats. I have still gotten thorns in my tires which cause leaks, but I run about 2oz of slime in my tube as well as the latex to stop bigger leaks. If you don't live in AZ you probably don't need the slime, but the latex particles are smaller than slime and don't seal bigger holes. I still carry a tube always.

Thad Carey

Chimp
Mar 31, 2002
Abilene, TX
I've been running it on 3 bikes for 5 months now, and it's been the best thing to come along in awhile. I even have it on a Bullit with Rhyno Lites with 2.2 Enduro Specialized tires. I've been using UST tires on conventional wheels. The USTs grip the rim better than most conventional tires and have a stronger carcass for surviving rocks and such. I've had no failures, and no on-trail flats. I had to fix one puncture at home, but it was easy, because UST are easily patched liked any tubeless tire (cars, motorcycles, etc.).
A riding buddy has been running conventional tires and has had 3 punctures that the latex/water would not seal, and the tire could not be patched from the inside like a tubeless. He also had 2 minor bead separations which released air but didn't go flat. He had to stop and air back up with a mini-pump--I'm not too crazy about that. The UST tires I'm running (5 different types) have been bulletproof.